Amsoil says 20W-50 oil in Harley tranny - anyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil recommends their 20W-50 Motorcycle oil (MCV) in the motor, primary, AND transmission. I suppose since a 20W-50 motor oil is really like a 80-110 (or close to that) it makes sense. anyone use this?

I would much rather have a true gear oil in the gearbox for the better protection it affords, but that being said, I know several friends that are running the Amsoil 20W-50 MCV in their late model HD gearbox and are happy with it.

I'm using Spectro in my gearbox. But I know lots of folks use the Amsoil in all 3 holes. Haven't seen or heard of any complaints from those that do.

I'm currently running amsoil in a 00 softail.

20w50 mcv in the engine

10w40 mcf in the primary

75w90 svg in the tranny

I currently run Amsoil 20W-50 MCV in the motor, trans and primary of my 04 FLSTC and it works well for me.

I agree I am probably wasting $ putting such a high quality oil in the primary but it only holds around a quart and I don't mind.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Amsoil recommends their 20W-50 Motorcycle oil (MCV) in the motor, primary, AND transmission. I suppose since a 20W-50 motor oil is really like a 80-110 (or close to that) it makes sense. anyone use this?

There are many that use this combination with excellent results.

I'm too cheap - so I put a quart of Rotella (conventional) in the primary chaincase. I am also a fan of using gear oil in the transmission but (really) it doesn't make much difference. HD recommends their Formula+ in the primary and in the transmission and (here is the virgin oil analysis) it's not much more than a mineral oil with virtually no additives.

Formula+ oil analysis

So yes - Amsoil 20W-50 in the primary chaincase and in the transmission will give you excellent service.

Many of us are way overboard with the care and feeding of our toys. And why not? Makes me sleep better at night.
56.gif

It'll work but I prefer gear lube in the tranny...the Amsoil 75w90 or 110 is fine or the 140 is said to quiet the whine of 5th gear in the 6 speeds. I used the 80w90 in my '97 with excellent results. For the primary, I used the Amsoil 10w40...that is if you want to stick with Amsoil in all three holes, if not, then any 10w40, 15w40 or even ATF (I'm presently using type F) will work just fine in the primary as would the Amsoil ATF. I switched off Amsoil when my yearly mileage dropped to 5K or less a year because it was no longer cost effective, however, if I ran a twin cam engine I'd still use the Amsoil engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back