Amsoil S2k 0w30, 2002 GMC Yukon XL 5.3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
tj5450,

You may try calling the the lab who performed this UOA to see if they can re-run the TBN,
they may still have the sample in their lab,
I have read some other UOA threads where the customer called the lab to have the oil re-tested because of questionable information,
it is possible the TBN testing apparratus was set-up incorrectly.
Blackstone had some questionable UOAs last Spring and they stated so after they were called upon, good luck with your oil
smile.gif

I'd send out a sample to Oil Analyzers Inc and have them do the TBN test. This oil looks to be in pretty decent shape, but it's hard to give a recommendation without a TBN.

TS

I think I'd send a sample of this oil to another lab in a couple thousand miles. You'll have over 10K then, and it would be interesting to see how Blackstone (for instance) might rate it.

The jury is going to have to remain out on this one--at least until another lab takes a look-see.

Dan

Vad - I think you missed the part about the driving conditions. Time interval was a little over three months on the oil. Total miles on this oil is 8297 with a filter change and topoff of 1/2qt at 7800.

quote:

This interval includes a 6100 mile cross country trip from Raleigh, NC to Barstow, CA then north to Sacramento and back to NC through Utah, Colorado, etc before getting back to the flatlands. We cruised comfortably at about 85mph when we could. Saw temps as high as 118-120 degrees in Nevada desert. We idled for about 2 hrs in 105 degrees one day waiting for a desert fire to burn across I-70. We also saw some 26% grades out there. I guess all of these circumstances would contribute to the OLM giving it up, but the oil looks surpisingly (to me) good.

I am really surpised about the TBN of 14. I am going to call the lab tomorrow and ask for confirmation and also for what method they use.

I did check with the lab about the TBN and they said they would re-test and call me if it was different. Haven't heard from them! I plan on re-testing myself at another lab when I drain the Auto-Rx at the 10k OCI. I want to run extended OCI's and need the confidence in the basline and the lab that I use. Thanks all for your help.

Sorry then...
Almost 3K per month.
Your driving conditions were quite favorable.
2 hrs of idling was the hardest part of that trip.
Even so the TBN is way out of reason.
I suggest Blackstone Labs the next time around.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back