Amsoil S2k 0w30, 2002 GMC Yukon XL 5.3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first UOA results today and would like to get some comments, please. Details are:

2002 Yukon XL, 5.3l engine.
42,328 total miles on car.
Filter changed from Amsoil SDF-15 to Baldwin B1432 when OLM said to change oil, 1/2qt top off. That was with 7,800 miles on this oil.
8,297 miles on oil now and when I took the sample, I added 12 ozs Auto-Rx.

Wear metals (ppm)
AL 2
Ba 0
Ca 1771
Cr 0
Cu 17
Fe 8
Pb 10
Mg 497
Mo 8
Ni 0
P 783
K 2
Si 8
Na 3
Sn 1
Zn 798

Oil Condition?Particle Count (ct/ml)
ST 4
OXI 89
NIT 18
SUL 89
W None
A None
V100 = 12.9
TBN = 14.0

This is the first run of Amsoil and I am interested in extending OCI's. Had I seen this analysis before I added Auto-Rx, I might have held off until 10k. Oh well, what's done is done and it looks like I will begin rinsing with Chevron Supreme 5w30 at about 10k miles.

For the life of this automobile, I have been quite anal about 3k OCI's using M1 5w30 and Castrol Syntech 5w30 disregarding the OLM. This engine has always had a "ticking" sound, especially at startup. Amazingly, I still have it at startup for a few seconds, but when I added the Auto-Rx, the constant "tick" went away immediately. I posted on another thread about the tick and many of you were so kind as to let me know that it is common with 5.3l's.

Until I found this board, I thought that's what you were supposed to do.

To my untrained eye, this analysis looks pretty good. Whadda you think?

TBN = 14.0
shocked.gif

Looks good.

TBN of 14.0 after 8000+ miles?

Please forgive me for not believing that. I doubt the TBN was that high in the VOA.

Did you sample this oil before the AutoRX was added?

Most of these numbers are very suspect if you ask me...
frown.gif

(Not doubting you--just doubting the lab).

Dan

I can't answer that. You'll have to ask the lady that wrote the algorithm.

This interval includes a 6100 mile cross country trip from Raleigh, NC to Barstow, CA then north to Sacramento and back to NC through Utah, Colorado, etc before getting back to the flatlands. We cruised comfortably at about 85mph when we could. Saw temps as high as 118-120 degrees in Nevada desert. We idled for about 2 hrs in 105 degrees one day waiting for a desert fire to burn across I-70. We also saw some 26% grades out there. I guess all of these circumstances would contribute to the OLM giving it up, but the oil looks surpisingly (to me) good.

I am really surpised about the TBN of 14. I am going to call the lab tomorrow and ask for confirmation and also for what method they use.

The oil was sampled prior to adding Auto-Rx. Nothing else was added at all except about 1/2 quart to topoff at the filter change.

I did forget to say that I did add MMO at the rate of about 4ozs per 15 gallons of gas most of the time. (This is the wife's car, so I can't catch it allof the time)

Lab is Gregory Poole Fluid Analysis Laboratory in Raleigh, NC. They are the local Caterpillar dealership. www.gregorypoole.cat.com

I had them run a sample on my Ford Ranger prior to switching it to Amsoil a month or so ago. While I did not ask them to run a TBN then, I did not see anything out of the ordinary on that one. What is so strange about this one is the TBN.

Sorry, but that link is bad. You have to remove the "cat"

However, if we throw the TBN out as suspect, how does the rest of it look?

This can't be right...it can't possibly be 14.0.

In addition, if the Oxidation is 89, which is 44.5%, the viscosity will be much more than 12.9cst.

Mike

tj,
The oil life monitor is programed for ordinary oil, so it's you and the lab determining how long this oil will live. Maybe you and the lab will determine that two OLM cycles are OK for this oil in this engine, but time and testing will tell.

That TBN 14 has to be wrong. The oil doesn't start that high.

Ken

The sample is showing abnormally high levels of oxidation due to the significant ester content of the basestock blend. It's something I see a lot with this formulation - and the S3000 - unless the lab has specifically calibrated their ICP equipment prior to testing. When certain organic esters are burned in a very high temp plasma, they absorb light at a wavelength that is very close to the absorption peak for oxidation by-products.

The viscosity is showing the normal evaporative/oxidative thickening you see with this formulation in the first 10k miles. Once this has occurred, the viscosity seems to stabilize and doesn't change much. First time use of a different formulation can also result in thickening due to cleaning and additive interaction.

TBN was probably tested using the less conservative "ASTM D-2896" protocol, but does look high - something in the 6-8 range would be more reasonable. Additive levels look about right, so I'd say the wear metal concentrations are pretty accurate. Air filtration is excellent and contributing to the extremely low wear.

Running two times the indicated OLM cycle, with a filter change and top off halfway through, would be reasonable. That would result in an OCI of approx 15k miles....

Yes, the constant ticking sound went away immediately. But, I still have the 3-4 seconds at first startup. I found on another website that 2002 GM 5.3l "might" have a problem with a bad oil pump O-ring seal that allows oil to leak back into the crankcase overnight. When the car was under warranty, the dealer kept telling me it was normal. That was a major reason I wanted to begin trending wear with UOA's.

This is my first for this vehicle and while I am not completely happy with this lab, I think the analysis for wearmetals is pretty accurate. I called the lab back to ask about the high TBN, oxidationa and sulfation numbers. They told me their tests were not setup to handle "synthetics" for Oxi & Sul numbers.

TS - You were right on the money with your synopsis of my analysis. From what I have read of your work, I have grown to respect your opinion a great deal. I really appreciate you chiming in.

And Pablo... And Buster... And FTM

You guys all seem to know your stuff!

TBN=14 after almost 8K miles!!!
B.S.
The report has no validity...

The poster also forgot to disclose some crucial info:
the driving conditions, amount of time between the oilchanges.

An excellent report, very good wear metals for a GM 5.3L engine, especially after 7800 miles.

Aluminum 2
Chromium 0
Iron 8
Copper 17
Lead 10

The 5.3L roller lifters & arms tend to throw alot of copper and any test result in the low 20's is very good, 17 is A++.

quote:

...but when I added the Auto-Rx, the constant "tick" went away immediately.

With Auto-Rx in the crankcase, the pistonslap (ticking) is quiet during the first start of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back