Amsoil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

We are in the process of testing various oils for new comparison charts, which will be released soon. As far as the chemistry question, our formulations are proprietary, but I can say that we don’t use things such as Moly, Graphite, Teflon etc. We actually use a fairly basic additive package. Since additives are the weak link in any motor oil we prefer to rely mostly on our high quality PAO basestock.

Thank you,

Jim Van

AMSOIL Technical Services

IMO, Amsoil is one of the best oils out there. We have seen enough good UOA's that proves it. I posted this before but I wanted to see if others would comment on it.

There seems to be two schools of thought going around. One is that the base oil is not that important but the additive package is. The other is the approach Mobil 1 and Amsoil take regarding the base oil. To my surprise though, Amsoil uses a basic additive package. Amsoil guys, is what exactly does "basic" mean in referance to additive package? Thanks

quote:

I would bet that Amsoil is probaly upping their additive package. Mobil 1 SuperSyn has closed the gap significantly to Amsoil from the old Tri Synthetic.

Redline also hypes their "superior basestocks" on their website.

I agree with this, but there has to be more to S2k then what we have seen. I'd like to know how much ester is in the base oil. Somthing has to be very good about to warrant the $8qt cost.

quote:

I agree with this, but there has to be more to S2k then what we have seen. I'd like to know how much ester is in the base oil. Somthing has to be very good about to warrant the $8qt cost.

Wasn't Castrol Syntec an ester oil before Castrol decided to go the cheap route with their overpriced HC oil? And I don't remember the Castrol ester oil being 8 bucks a quart.

[ August 29, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

I don't know. My friend just ordered S2k for his Vette, which I think is a better choice then Mobil 1, but only bc it's thicker. Look at these specs:

quote:

Specs. Amsoil Mobil 1

Viscosity@100c 11.3 10.3 (Amsoil thicker)
viscosity@40C 57.3 56 (edge to M1)

Pour Point C -51C -54C (edge to M1)
Flash PointC 226 234 (edge to M1)
NOAK volat 9.2% 9% (edge to M1)
HT/HS 3.5 3.00 (edge to Amsoil)
Fourball .373 na
TBN 11 12 (edge to M1)

Moly none 85ppm
Boron none 130ppm

The Boron and Moly are aproximates based on VOA we've seen.

[ August 29, 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Wasn't Castrol Syntec an ester oil before Castrol decided to go the cheap route with their overpriced HC oil?

Nope. It was a Group IV/Group V (PAO/ester) blend, and the PAO was purchased from Mobil.

Buster,

I would bet that Amsoil is probaly upping their additive package. Mobil 1 SuperSyn has closed the gap significantly to Amsoil from the old Tri Synthetic.

Redline also hypes their "superior basestocks" on their website.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
marketing speak marketing speak

Absolutely-last year's College Marketing Talking Head Graduate speaking here.
rolleyes.gif

I think many would agree that the benefit of the PAO is low oxidation (extended drain) and High/Low Temperature performance. We have seen any number of posts where Dino oils matched/beat Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 in term of wear per thousand miles. Now if he would have mentioned the Estors in the base than he would have sounded credible. I think (based on some of knowledgeable folks here-Molacule for sure, I believe) Esters lay down extra surface protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back