Amsoil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Amsoil years ago when they sold just one line of motor oils. Since then they came out with Series 2000. Now they have Series 3000. I find it a little confusing.
Can someone explain the differences in these oils and why someone would choose one over the other?

To be honest, unless you're going to do those super extended drains, their regular line of oils (the ASL 5w30 or ATM 10w30) will do just great, and at a lower cost than the series 2000 or 3000.

quote:

To be honest, unless you're going to do those super extended drains, their regular line of oils (the ASL 5w30 or ATM 10w30) will do just great, and at a lower cost than the series 2000 or 3000.

Very true.

The Series 2000 engine oils are Amsoils ultra premium line of gas engine oils, specifically formulated for severe service applications. The S2000, 20w-50 really isn't intended for super long change intervals, but holds up very well for 12k-15k miles in my Audi 100. The 0w-30 is intended as a replacement for 5w-20/5w-30/10w-30 grades. I really like it for short trip or cold weather driving conditions, where it provides noticably better fuel efficiency - typically 2%-3% - than their 10w-30.

The Series 3000, 5w-30 is a low viscosity "mixed fleet" SL/CI-4 type oil for diesel/gas engines. The main application is as a fuel efficient replacement for their 15w-40 HD diesel oil in commercial diesel engines. The S3000 and S2000, 0w-30 use a similar basestock blend, but the additive chemistry of the S3000 is optimized to deal with the combustion byproducts of diesel engines. Having said that, the S3000 is also an excellent extended drain, ACEA "A3" rated lube for gas engines. In my own tests, it holds up at least as well as the 0w-30 in these applications. The S3000 is also Amsoils' most shear stable xw-30 oil. Probably the best all round low viscosity oil they are making right now.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me offline.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

I figured that the additive packages were different, but are the basestocks different as well? Is the $2.50/qt difference based only on the difference in additive packages? Does Amsoil provide any information regarding their basestocks?

quote:

The 0w-30 is intended as a replacement for 5w-20/5w-30/10w-30 grades

TS, is Amsoil planning on carrying just the S2k S3k line eventually, and phasing out the 5w/10w-30's?

Harrydog,

The basestock blends are pretty similar, although the S2000 stuff seems to have even higher detergency, which would indicate a bit more ester content. I also think the VI improver used in the 0w-30 is better than what they are using in the regular 5w-30/10w-30. The reason I say that is that the 0w-30 is more shear stable than the 5w-30 and perhaps even the 10w-30.

The additive chemistry is also different, although it's not something you can easily detect with an oil analysis. Suffice it to say there are a number of different types of antiwear additive compounds being used to formulate engine oils.

I don't see Amsoil replacing their regular 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40. There is a limited market for oil @ $8.00/qt, unless you feel comfortable with running very long change intervals or are using the 20w-50 in a competitive racing situation.

Tooslick

I'll give it a shot. S2k and S3K are there higher end oils, meaning they contain the best and latest chemistry. These are there bes oils, although some would question S2k. From what I've seen, S3k is a phenomenal oil, probably one of the best you can buy. I have no experience with it but from what I've read and seen of it, it really does hold up very well in long drains. S2k has been on and off. It can show great results at times and then really bad results at times. These oils are basically there high end products. S3k contains the strongest additive package in the Amsoil line up. If your looking for a serious long drain oil for gas/deisel engine, go with it. S3k is marketed more as a deisel oil and S2k as a long drain performance oil.

[ August 09, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back