Amsoil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly for the Amsoil guys,....do you see Amsoil going to the full retail market at some point or will they mainly stay as order only company? I'm not refering to the XL line at lube shops either. I rarely see the stuff on the shelf. I want to see it at Autozone, Pepboys and other major retailers. M1 is the only true syn lube on the shelf...thats not good. Ed from Amsoil told me they are adding more and more stores to the list that will carry Amsoil.

buster the problem with Amsoil and it is a problem is their direct marketing system. They will not sell to retail stores for less then they sell to their independent distributors. So their is not enough profit margin for retail stores to take them seriously. Economy of scales seems to mean little to Amsoil's owner. I am also pretty sure that AMsoils dependence on outside suppliers for all their raw materials is also a limiting factor. If two or three companys refused to sell supplies to Amsoils like "Exxon-Mobile" Amsoil would suffer a serious supply shortage untile they found another supplier that could meet their needs. They are just a blender after all. Redline and Neo are in the same boat! THe only diference being that the other do not have any direct marketing ties. I seriously doubt that Amsoil could blend enough oil to meet the needs of Walmart or GM on top of their current consumer customer base.

Buster,

All the quick lubes and auto parts stores you see carrying Amsoil are being signed up by dealers to be retail accounts. In the next few years, I think you'll see Amsoil become much more widely available. If US manufacturers start recommending significantly longer drain intervals, I really think the extended drain synthetics will capture a much greater market share.

I would have to disagree about lack of retail markup being an issue.... The main auto repair shops we deal with in Huntsville make $1.00-$1.25 per quart profit on the engine oils and $1.50-$2.00 per quart on the synthetic gear lubes, ATF and two stroke racing oil. I don't think you'll find many places making that kind of profit on Mobil 1, except perhaps for Walmart.

TooSlick

a couple of the auto parts store here in austin carry redline and amsoil and royal purple. so yes, i can see them going retail, anything to increase sales.

[ July 26, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: mikeinaustin ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikeinaustin:
i can see them going retail, anything to increase sales.

I'm sure Tupperware thought the same thing when they started offering their products in Target retail stores. But they have since stopped selling in Target stores because too many of their independant dealers complained about losing sales.

It's bad enough I have to sell Amsoil at less than retail price just to compete with Amsoil's online store. If Amsoil started selling in nationwide store chains like Autozone, Target, or Wal-Mart, it would put independant dealers like me out of business entirely.

quote:

It's bad enough I have to sell Amsoil at less than retail price just to compete with Amsoil's online store. If Amsoil started selling in nationwide store chains like Autozone, Target, or Wal-Mart, it would put independant dealers like me out of business entirely.

So you do sell Amsoil Tex...I thought there was something to your posts.
wink.gif

If Amsoil went retail they would have to reduce their prices buy a larg margin. Royal Purple is $3.99 a quart, M1 is $3.39-$4.99 a quart. So if they wanted to be competitive they would have to be similar in price. I do not think we have seen anything in their base stock or additve package to distigish it from M1 in terms of priceing.

I like alot of Amsoils products but I hate their marketing and distribution schemes. It is not that I do not like the wounderful people that are selling the products I just do not like the whole "direct marketing" scheme. I hate that you have to pay $20 a year to get the product at what should it's price to start with. I am guessing that the $20 dollar preferred customer fee must go right to the distributor/dealer signing the person up. I am guessing this because some dealers wave this fee.

I use some of their products from time to time and would use alot more if this just sold them retail. You can never find a dealer near you and they come and go all the time.When you do find one they never seem to have the product you wanted. They can order it but so can you so what is the point of the dealer? The priceing is all over the place and if you join up and mail order you have to pay shipping so that has to factored into you end cost.

Like I said before I like their products and some of the people that sell Amsoil are great people but I do not like to do bussiness this way.

This was not intended as a flame to any of the wounderful people that sell Amsoil. This is just things I dislike about the parent company.

I am glad I found this site. Mills out doors and Otis sell products that can take care of a lot of my needs at a very fair price and I do not need to be a member to get the good prices. This is really an important point for me.

At any rate just my $.02.

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
What I'm wondering is will there ever be an Amsoil quick oil change center?

There are "quickie lube" centers out there that carry Amsoil oil. That's one of the main reasons why Amsoil developed their XL-7500 series oils. But they're independantly owned. I've yet to see or hear of one owned and operated by Amsoil themselves.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I like alot of Amsoils products but I hate their marketing and distribution schemes. It is not that I do not like the wounderful people that are selling the products I just do not like the whole "direct marketing" scheme. I hate that you have to pay $20 a year to get the product at what should it's price to start with. I am guessing that the $20 dollar preferred customer fee must go right to the distributor/dealer signing the person up. I am guessing this because some dealers wave this fee.

Isn't this kind of like a pyramid scheme?
smile.gif

Yes, it is.

[ July 28, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

A very full amsoil lineup is sold at a parts place near my office. I'm not talking just the XL7500 line, I'm talking most of the lineup.

Prices are higher than all the other oils sold in the store. This place sells the full lineup of Conoco, Phillips 66, 76, Texaco Havoline, Valvoline, as well as some house brands, and Mobil 1. Yet they do pretty high volume sales, go figure.

The term scheme used here implies something dishonest.

Here is this definition, the one is bold is often thought of.

quote:

A systematic plan of action: “Did you ever carry out your scheme of writing a series of sonnets embodying all the great epochs of art?” (Edith Wharton).
A secret or devious plan; a plot. See Synonyms at plan.
An orderly combination of related parts: an irrigation scheme with dams, reservoirs, and channels.
A chart, diagram, or outline of a system or object.

And one difinitions of pyramid

quote:

\Pyr"a*mid\, v. i. (Speculation) To enlarge one's holding or interest in a series of operations on a continued rise or decline by using the profits to buy or sell additional amounts on a margin, as where one buys on a 10% margin 100 shares of stock quoted at 100, holds it till it rises to 105, and then uses the paper profit to buy 50 shares more, etc. The series of operations constitutes a pyramid.

fyi-The link I found this is dictionary.com

[ July 28, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Ok, your right. I was wrong about that. It's not a pyramid scheme. It would help if I new what it meant before I opened my big mouth. Amsoil is great oil and a great company. Yeah there marketing is a little bad, but so are many other companies out there.

I just did a seach on Amsoil in the forums. The question or comments on Amsoil's marketing comes up. I have been familiar with Amsoil for many years and even had a business account many years ago, cira 84-88. (Owned my own business with 11 vehicles). I have nothing but straight forward dealings with the Company. No false labels etc.
Now let's talk about the Company that sells you Full Synthetic and then decided to save a few bucks and hoodwink the public. Change to Group III and still use the Full Synthetic label. And still charge the same. Now we have a German 0W30 oil on the market from this company, available in extremely limited distribution and most get in line to support this Company's product. We suspect it is a Group IV/V or something close. But for how long. My money will never be spent to support such a dishonest Company. JMO
I do not sell Amsoil or even have a Preferred Customer Number.

Removed offensive word. Tony BR

[ July 29, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I want to add that I stand by the context of my post. It was very gentle and tactful and was not meant to inflame anyone especialy not the wounderful Amsoil Sponsors we have at this site. I doubt that if you read my post again you can find any hint of secretive deceptive meaning in my use of the word scheme. I never once compared it to a pyramid type of program.

As far as costco goes or the like goes. I pay $35 dollars a year for Sam's membership.How can preferred oil membership of $20 be anywhere near as good of a deal as $35 for a year at Sam's Club! The variety of products ae vastly greater and Sam's manufactures none of them. Private partys do not own independent clubs. I can always find most of the things I buy ever time I go there. I know that my Sam's store is going to be their next time I want grocerys.

The only reason I use M1 is due to convience. The price helps too but my main factor is that I can buy as little or much as I want when I want to. I never have to worry about shipping takeing purchaseing dollars out of my wallet by buying localy.

On another note I do not have to buy my M1 at Sam's my Walmart has free admitence and 5 quart jug of M1 in 5W30 or 10W30 is $14.88 and 15W50 is $18.99.

My point was that I like retail over tracking down a dealer or paying shipping. I also do not like paying for the privlage of purchaseing from someone. I would just as soon Amsoil just made me that price and shiped directly to my door. I do not like it with Sam's either but their is ahuge difference in the amount of return on your investment. I buy soap, food, tires, batterys, prescription glass's, cutlery, electronic, chemicals, diapers....every two weeks. For $20 dollars I get to buy oil 3 times a year at a higher price then I can buy localy and pay for shipping!

I am sure some people do not mind doing this but I deffinately do not like to. Some of these same things apply to Redline and NEO as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back