Amsoil PSF vs Dexron III

All of my cars are Toyotas. Most of them require Dexron III for use in the power steering. Would I be making a mistake that could
shorten the life expectancy of my power steering components by using Amsoil PSF in place of the Dexron III? I have read in a forum
or two that I should stick with the Dexron III. Would I be increasing the longevity of my PS units with the Amsoil PSF?

I can buy the Toyota Dexron III that says it's ATF and PSF on the label.

And yes, I asked a very similar question in 2019.;)

Last edited:
But I'm a little afeared. You see how old my stuff is. 25 years old....

If you want to use AMSOIL, just get their ATF fluid for the PS. That is what I put in all the Toyota's that call for dexron in the PS.

If it matters much, my 2017 Nissan specifies Genuine NISSAN power steering fluid in the service manual. The fine print says that Dexron-VI is an approved alternative.

However, my old cars get what they specified in the years of their dominion. If your power steering system came with red ATF then I'd use red ATF (Dex-III OR Dex-VI). If it came with clear or brown power steering fluid then I'd use the Amsoil power steering fluid. I personally use Redline branded power steering fluid in applications specifying PSF.

It should have no impact on longevity or performance but I'm finicky that way.

In an automatic transmission where the manufacturer has dictated backward compatability of Dex VI for Dex III, sure. But in a PS system that calls for Dex III, I can't say I'd like to run Dex VI.

I'd personally probably seek out TES-295 ATF.

In an automatic transmission where the manufacturer has dictated backward compatability of Dex VI for Dex III, sure. But in a PS system that calls for Dex III, I can't say I'd like to run Dex VI.

Interesting perspective. It resonates

It's not the manufacturer that has declared DEXRON-VI as compatible, it is the license holder. DEXRON-VI is superior in every way to the old DEXRON-III license.

Dexron6 has backwards compatible for GM only. Don't forget the seal compatibility issue on earlier Allison transmissions.... since no one knows what type of gasketing/sealing is used by their non-GM PSF system calling for conventional Dexwrong.

I would have no problem running an import PSF or Amsoil PSF, in any Toyota that requires Dexron equivalent PSF.

Mobil1 ATF, like Redline/Amsoil/..., usually a no brainer for PSF's that recommend a Dexron fluid.

Do you expect a different answer from 2019?

All of my cars are Toyotas. Most of them require Dexron III for use in the power steering. Would I be making a mistake that could
shorten the life expectancy of my power steering components by using Amsoil PSF in place of the Dexron III? I have read in a forum
or two that I should stick with the Dexron III. Would I be increasing the longevity of my PS units with the Amsoil PSF?

I can buy the Toyota Dexron III that says it's ATF and PSF on the label.

And yes, I asked a very similar question in 2019.;)
You certainly would not
"shorten the life expectancy of ...power steering components by using Amsoil PSF in place of the Dexron III"

Dexron6 has backwards compatible for GM only. Don't forget the seal compatibility issue on earlier Allison transmissions.... since no one knows what type of gasketing/sealing is used by their non-GM PSF system calling for conventional Dexwrong.

I would have no problem running an import PSF or Amsoil PSF, in any Toyota that requires Dexron equivalent PSF.

Mobil1 ATF, like Redline/Amsoil/..., usually a no brainer for PSF's that recommend a Dexron fluid.

Do you expect a different answer from 2019?
LOL, didn't expect a different answer. Just checking to make sure things hadn't changed.

No it is not. DEXRON is a license and any licensed use is backwards compatible unless specifically prohibited by an entity.

Only if Toyota, or any automaker, has a TSB approving it. Their requirement is now an unlicensed spec, and not DexronVI.

When Dexron3 became obsolete, other automakers, like Nissan, updated their recommendations. Toyota didn't.

The backwards compatibility is by GM for GM only, in automatic transmissions ONLY.

Only if Toyota, or any automaker, has a TSB approving it. Their requirement is now an unlicensed spec, and not DexronVI.

When Dexron3 became obsolete, other automakers, like Nissan, updated their recommendations. Toyota didn't.

The backwards compatibility is by GM for GM only, in automatic transmissions ONLY.
Right. Good to know that a licensing entity cannot actually issue a license.

Not trying to be "that guy" but you seem to have knowledge that I would like access to. ;)

I am in a great mood and in no way picking a "fight".

Based on what I understand from your posts, I have a 4Runner that requires Dex III in the AT per the owner's
manual. I use Toyota's OEM Dex III ($10.50/qt) and have never moved up to Dex VI in the AT or PS. From how I
interpret what you are saying, I should not move up to Dex VI in this case. I should stay with a Dex III or equivalent.

Am I correct in my assumption?

There are good full visc synthetic ATF's that meet/exceed DexronIII. There are also unlicensed fluids that could have more 'compatibility' with multiple makes. I don't blindly use the latest greatest without reading the bottle label and manufacturer datasheet. DexronIII isn't licensed anymore so your are relying on bottler reputation. I don't use ANY conventional dex/merc, even from Toyota parts. Thats akin to looking for 20 year old bottles of API SG oil at the podunk town autoparts because you don't want to use a newer API SP/GF6 oil.

I would not blindly grab a Dexron VI from the GM dealer and add it to ANY non-GM product. And, I wouldn't use it in place of differentials, power steering, transfer cases, manual transmissions, or non GM automatic transmissions, without the bottler mentioning those automakers and components. Don't assume that the Dexron-VI can just blindly be used anywhere.

If I had a Toyota requiring DexronIII, I would use Mobil1 ATF, RedlineD4, or Amsoil ATL, and obviously and equivalent boutique competitor. I don't care for the pathetic performance of conventional ATF. Another good list of 'meets or exceeds', or listed suitable for 'dexronIII', by various brands, are the Allison TES 295/468/668/389. Some brands will state suitable for, meets exceeds.... the older specs. Others don't. This brings in the universal/multi-spec/multivehicle non-licensed ATFs that some love, and some love to hate.

The problem isn't with PSF's only. Did GM not come out with a new MT fluid for those manuals requiring DexronIII too, and specifically stated NOT to use DexronVI in those manual transmissions? So, backwards compatibility can NOT be assumed for any non-GM product, or even non traditional automatic transmissions, or Allisons that haven't been rebuilt with upgraded seals, or YOUR PSF, without the blender label/website or automaker specifically stating so.

Not licensed but recommend for:

Any mention of Dexron anymore:

When looking at Valvoline Maxlife ATF, because of pricing over the years, became overhyped super popular, does it EVER MENTION manual transmissions, power steering systems, transfer cases, or differentials, on the website or datasheet??? Think about how so many have been brainwashed and use it as steak sauce and wafflepancake syrup too. Luckily, Valvoline made it very mechanically(and not biologically) compatible for those that used it where it wasn't recommended. I would wager that a PSF, from those boutique manufacturers, would also have similar compatibility.

I would not blindly think that a licensed DexronVI does, or can be used everywhere blindly. My Toyota's did not call for a DexronVI or LV ATF their automatic transmissions, power steering systems, or differentials. So, I would recommend the full visc ATF, and a full synthetic upgrade when/if in budget.

This is beyond what the threadstarter asked..... synth boutique PSF vs unlicensed conventional DexronIII.... I would take the synth PSF.

Doesn't even mention ATF or Dexron but can be used where:
Pretty sure over the years that MotorMedic, Gunk, Bardahl.... also had Asian PSF's that didn't mention 'dexron' either.

And then you have this PSF, for use where all those ATF's were originally spec'd, but not in your automatic transmission:

Back