Amsoil products for foam air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Amsoil sell any products to oil a foam air filter (like an oiled foam filter for a lawn mower). It seems they used to offer a product called Amsoil AFO, but it was discontinued?!? Did they replace it with anything else? If not, what oil should I use? I'd like to get something specifically made for this purpose if possible. Thanks.

Didn't Amsoil give up on oiled foam media filters? For the foam filter on my lawn mower I use 2-cycle engine oil (Red Line) on the theory that small amounts that get into the engine won't cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Didn't Amsoil give up on oiled foam media filters? For the foam filter on my lawn mower I use 2-cycle engine oil (Red Line) on the theory that small amounts that get into the engine won't cause any problems.

It appears that Amsoil did indeed exit this product space. NAPA has a specific oil for this purpose: http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=PFIPS4335_0432548284

Yes, Amsoil got out of that market a LONG time ago.

I had one of the last of their oiled foam air filters and had their cleaner and oil for it as well, but gave it away a while ago (if i still had it I would send it to you).

There are lots of tacky oils for foam air filters. Try any motorcycle shop, many auto parts stores, 4x4 specialty stores, etc. The K&N air filter oil would also probably do a good job.

I actually had one of those Amsoil foam air filters in my 89 Accord for about five years, or so. Eventually, the "lifetime" foam material starts breaking down and falling apart. The oil that was used in it was viscous and tacky. For my lawn mower filters I used just 3-in-1 oil. It didn't seem to matter what oil I used.

That Amsoil filter was a pain to clean and I ended up going back with OEM type filters. There were no noticeable gains of any kind with it, other than going five years (nearly 100K miles) on the same $50 filter.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I actually had one of those Amsoil foam air filters in my 89 Accord for about five years, or so. Eventually, the "lifetime" foam material starts breaking down and falling apart. The oil that was used in it was viscous and tacky. For my lawn mower filters I used just 3-in-1 oil. It didn't seem to matter what oil I used.

That Amsoil filter was a pain to clean and I ended up going back with OEM type filters. There were no noticeable gains of any kind with it, other than going five years (nearly 100K miles) on the same $50 filter.

My guess is that ALL of the above is WHY Amsoil dumped them, and went to much better dry filters (the EaAs), which sadly enough they are also now dumping due to low/slow sales.
frown.gif

I've had good luck with foam filters and BelRay oil coating on several bikes and quads.

I had three of the amsoil foam filters. They all eventually crumbled and were a pain in the butt to clean. Great concept, poor execution. If it was still available it would drive the "
MAF got oily because of my air filter" people insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back