Amsoil Product Warranty on non-OEM spec oil visc

Status
Not open for further replies.
See below. It appears that Amsoil will not warranty the usage of their product if you are not using a viscosity that is specified by your vehicle manufacturer's. This includes using 0w-20 in place of 5w-20. Quite frankly, I am very surprised by this position, especially for Amsoil.

This is something to think about - especially if you are depending on an oil manufacturer's drain interval warranty/guarantee. If you are using a non-oem specified viscosity, be sure to check with the oil manufacturer to confirm that they will support you in the event of an issue.

Quote:

XXXXXXX, thank you for contacting the AMSOIL Technical Service Department with your question.

While using our 0W-20 in place of a 5W-20 for your engine wouldn’t cause any mechanical problems, we could not support that under warranty unless Hyundai lists a 0W-20 as an acceptable viscosity. If you are using a filter other than the AMSOIL filter with our XL or Signature Series products, we would recommend changing the filter at 12,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Thanks,
XXXX
Technical Services Representative

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: One AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 715-392-7101 XXXX
FAX: 715-399-6531

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:50 AM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: Technical Service Contact Form

The following information was submitted on the Technical Service Contact Form Form. Please respond to the individual within the next 5 days.
Name:
Email:
Comments:
ZO:
Add'l Info: XXXXX
[email protected]
Hello, I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with the 1.8L engine. I have two questions about the usage of Amsoil products: 1) Hyundai specifies 5w-20 as the preferred grade for this application. Will Amsoil support and warranty the usage of 0w-20 for this vehicle? 2) If Amsoil Signature Series oils are used in conjunction with a Genuine Hyundai oil filter, what is the maximum drain interval that Amsoil will warranty the oil for if I do not perform a mid-term filter change? Thank you.

I am a customer:
Originating Server: VGWEBSRV01
Originating Page:
Remote Address: 162.235.138.178
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 11_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.0 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1

Oil warranties IMHO are about worthless anyway.
Thanks for the informative post but I don't take any of this into consideration when buying oil from anybody.

I don't know, it doesn't seem that surprising to me. They warranty their oil for extended OCIs because they believe that they have engineered it to accomplish that task. However, no matter how stout their oil may be, if used in the wrong application it can cause damage just as any other oil would.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://syntheticperformanceoil.com/spo/articles/5w20oil.php

Although i understand the stance, it is surprising when this language is condoned by them...

Quote:

BTW, why is this thread so distorted (stretched)?

As far as I can tell, that's just a dealer's website with his/her narrative regarding viscosity and not an official Amsoil stance.

As far as the distortion goes, I think it has something to do with the coded email response.

Last edited:
36.gif

Originally Posted By: JustN89
As far as I can tell, that's just a dealer's website with his/her narrative regarding viscosity and not an official Amsoil stance.
Yup. That's the problem with independent dealer websites - Amsoil corporate does not control them, so you end up with serious inconsistencies such as the one pointed out here.

Not really a earth shattering revelation here. AMSOIL is already sticking their necks out backing their oils in same grade because they do not carry many of manufacture called out specs because they believe they "exceed" them. Another thing to switch grades the vehicle manufacturer does not call out and then expect them to warranty that.

That being said, I know Mobil will back their 0W-20 in anything calling out a 5W-20 application but that is their prerogative.

why pay twice or more for Scamsoil when there are many approved alternatives from reputable brand name oil distributors!!

I wouldn't depend on Amsoil's warranty, they wont honor it. There is a well respected dyi'er that got shot down on Amsoil's warranty. I wonder if any of the shameless scam oil warranties are ever paid, not just Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: benjy
why pay twice or more for Scamsoil when there are many approved alternatives from reputable brand name oil distributors!!

Have you had any bad experience with amsoil when you call it Scamsoil?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Not really a earth shattering revelation here. AMSOIL is already sticking their necks out backing their oils in same grade because they do not carry many of manufacture called out specs because they believe they "exceed" them. Another thing to switch grades the vehicle manufacturer does not call out and then expect them to warranty that.

That being said, I know Mobil will back their 0W-20 in anything calling out a 5W-20 application but that is their prerogative.

Or would they? Read owners manual for recomended viscosity grade and spec,thats what you will get in the end if someting goes wrong...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
See below. It appears that Amsoil will not warranty the usage of their product if you are not using a viscosity that is specified by your vehicle manufacturer's.
This includes using 0w-20 in place of 5w-20. Quite frankly, I am very surprised by this position, especially for Amsoil.

Absolutely nothing new here or earth shattering here. I've written this numerous times. Amsoil will not back you if don't use the recommended viscosity.

Why are you even surprised?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Oil warranties IMHO are about worthless anyway.
Thanks for the informative post but I don't take any of this into consideration when buying oil from anybody.

+1

Originally Posted By: Pablo
See below. It appears that Amsoil will not warranty the usage of their product if you are not using a viscosity that is specified by your vehicle manufacturer's.
This includes using 0w-20 in place of 5w-20. Quite frankly, I am very surprised by this position, especially for Amsoil.

Absolutely nothing new here or earth shattering here. I've written this numerous times. Amsoil will not back you if don't use the recommended viscosity.

Why are you even surprised?

Right, if someone were to use a 40-wt in an application that specs a 20-wt, I understand. Or even a 30-wt in a 20-wt application.

But not willing to warranty a 0w-20 in a 5w-20 application is borderline ridiculous. I am sure Amsoil has their reasons, but when their next biggest competitor is willing to do it, what is Amsoil's rationale?

The issue I have here, is that this is a company that was pushing their 0w30 signature series for a few years before they came out with their own 0w-20/5w-20 oils. For them to go from that position to this, is kind of a 360.

You know Prolong engine treatment has a lifetime warranty, lol. Put chlorinated paraffins in your truck/car and "we" will warranty for life. I would bet Prolong engine treatment has paid the same amount of engine failure money as Amsoil has, ZERO. People that think companies will actually pay that warranty are darwin award winners.

But not willing to warranty a 0w-20 in a 5w-20 application is borderline ridiculous. I am sure Amsoil has their reasons, but when their next biggest competitor is willing to do it, what is Amsoil's rationale?

I understand the general rationale, but yes, that part about 0w-20 in a 5w-20 application is strange. Even GM says to use 0w-20 in all their 5w-20 applications, not to mention what Mobil says. So, what would Amsoil say if the GM fill cap said 5w-20 but GM now says 0w-20 because they don't want to bother with 5w-20 dexos1 any longer?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back