Amsoil Power Foam and the Chain Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again. I cleaned the chimney and decided to cut some wood I gathered after Sandy. The chainsaw was sitting for several months and was running like garbage. I cleaned the air filter filled it with fresh gas and the proper two cycle oil mix and it still ran like [censored]. I decided to do a piston soak and put my Power Foam to good use. I removed the plug, got the piston to the bottom of its stroke and filled the cylinder and carb with PF. I let it sit about an hour, pulled the cord and filled the cylinder and carb again. I installed the plug by hand and pulled the cord three more times during a 24 hour period. Power Foam oozed out the spark plug threads. Early this afternoon I tightened the plug, connected the plug wire and fired it up. It gave a smoke show just as I expected, bogged down a bit, then ran with nice power. It's once again running like a champ. I'm no Amsoil lover as many of you guys know, but this product has worked wonders for me several times over the years, and a product that works well is worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It's that time of the year again. I cleaned the chimney and decided to cut some wood I gathered after Sandy. The chainsaw was sitting for several months and was running like garbage. I cleaned the air filter filled it with fresh gas and the proper two cycle oil mix and it still ran like [censored]. I decided to do a piston soak and put my Power Foam to good use. I removed the plug, got the piston to the bottom of its stroke and filled the cylinder and carb with PF. I let it sit about an hour, pulled the cord and filled the cylinder and carb again. I installed the plug by hand and pulled the cord three more times during a 24 hour period. Power Foam oozed out the spark plug threads. Early this afternoon I tightened the plug, connected the plug wire and fired it up. It gave a smoke show just as I expected, bogged down a bit, then ran with nice power. It's once again running like a champ. I'm no Amsoil lover as many of you guys know, but this product has worked wonders for me several times over the years, and a product that works well is worth mentioning.

Another product that would have worked is adding an ounce of B3C fuel solutions mechanic in a bottle directly into the fuel tank then fill it full with mixed gas. By the time you run that for awhile it would clear it up as well.

I got an old string trimmer that was said not to run (wasn't seized though) and I removed the spark plug, rinsed the crankcase with seafoam, followed by fogging oil, then filled the crankcase with Kreen and let it sit. Have yet to try it out though.

Last edited:
A saw that has sat for a while with old gas will run poorly until all of the old fuel is burned off. You'd be surprised how long it takes to run all of the old gas out of that little fuel line. Once the old fuel is burned off, the saw will usually run as it should.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
A saw that has sat for a while with old gas will run poorly until all of the old fuel is burned off. You'd be surprised how long it takes to run all of the old gas out of that little fuel line. Once the old fuel is burned off, the saw will usually run as it should.

Typically that's the case, but not this time. I dumped the fuel and ran it for probably 20 minutes or more with fresh fuel before I tried the PF treatment.

Have you ever run MMO in the saw? I started doing that this summer with decent results on a very infrequently used saw that was next to impossible to start after Sandy. A ways to go yet. Power Foam is probably a more powerful cleaner.

I might throw a teaspoon of Kreen in tonight...

Thanks for the idea...!

Originally Posted By: Finz
Have you ever run MMO in the saw? I started doing that this summer with decent results on a very infrequently used saw that was next to impossible to start after Sandy. A ways to go yet. Power Foam is probably a more powerful cleaner.

I might throw a teaspoon of Kreen in tonight...

Thanks for the idea...!

I do use MMO in the gas all the time. What I discovered this morning was the chain saw hadn't been used in several months as I already mentioned, but the gas in it was well over a year old, June 2012 to be exact. I date the gas container, and had a look this morning. I won't let that happen again. I had the Power Foam on hand and had good results with it before so why not.

Holy smokes...

Kreen treatment overnight and a clean up today. Chainsaw is running like new! Idles well, no sputtering..

Thank you very much Demarpaint - I never would have thought of treating the saw like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back