Amsoil PCK vs Mobile Rarus 427?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recieved my new compressor today. Manual calls for Mobile Rarus 427 which is a iso 100 petroleum oil. After 50 hrs it says to change breakin oil. I would like to change to the PCK synthetic as I want this to last. Amsoil says 1A on copper corrosion test Mobile says 1B, what is the difference? This will be in a shop that is heated only when I am in there working should I get some 20w oil for the winter or would the 40w synthetic be allright year round?

copper 1A is No copper corrosion 1B is slightly
more corrosion so a 1A would be better as far as copper bearing corosion goes.
bruce

I started using Amsoil ISO 100 in my IR compressor and it has worked very well. The compressor is quite a bit quieter, even in the winter. I only heat the shop when I'm working there for more than 15-30 minuets but the compressor is on stand-by all the time so it runs about 1 every 2 days even if I'm not using it. In the winter the shop will get down around 25-35*F and is normally around 45*F all winter. No UOA yet, remembered to take sample after I was done draining last time, ooops
pat.gif

I can't find a pour point on the mobile rarus to compare to. For the foam seq 1 it has 30/0 where the amsoil is 0/0/0. Looks like the amsoil is the way to go.

Thanks SteveU.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the PP of Rarus is, but I was referring to Amsoil's ISO 46 (SAE 20) and ISO 100 (SAE 40) to answer your year 'round use question. The PP's are -50°F vs -45°F - so close to make a big difference, and certainly not worth going against the recommended ISO 100.

I finally found the pour point for the Rarus, it is 25 degrees F compared to -45 for the amsoil, no comparison for a compressor in a mostly unheated barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back