Amsoil or Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTC

I've read some opinions on this board that Mobil1 is as good or better than Amsoil. I would like to hear more opinions on this. It's hard to justify 8+ dollars per quart, Series 2000 0W-30, if Mobil1 is just as good or better.

Mobil 1 is NOT as good or better. It's inferior to Amsoil, but it's a better deal for the money if you don't abuse your engine or don't care about extended drains.

Look at UOA and then draw your own conclusions. M1 is easier to get. You could easily get 4 to 5K drains without any problems or worries with the M1.

Mobil 1 is NOT as good or better. It's inferior to Amsoil

lol.gif

You don't need to spend $8 per quart for the 0w30 though, when for about $5 per quart their 5w30 ASL or 10w30 ATM formulas work out extremely well.

quote:

Originally posted by BTC:
I've read some opinions on this board that Mobil1 is as good or better than Amsoil. I would like to hear more opinions on this. It's hard to justify 8+ dollars per quart, Series 2000 0W-30, if Mobil1 is just as good or better.

As far as pricing goes, you can do better than $8+. If you look at Amsoil's regular synthetics which are still way above Mobil 1 your talking less than $5 per quart.

I would say even Amsoil 7500 series is on par with mobil one(Yes I know it's not a true synthetic but a group III based oil) But it's still a very good lubricant with some extended drain capabilities. And I would say that the XL7500 is better than ANY of the other so called synthetics that are a group III as well(valvoline synpower, pennzoil syn, havoline syn, chevron syn.)

Anyhow if you want my recommendation, go with the ASL if your cold climate or ATM if warmer climate. These oils are fully synthetic PAO/Esters with extended drain capability.

IMO, Mobil 1 is a better oil or at least as good as Amsoil. It has a great base stock and a good amount of EP/AW additives. They have also tweaked the formula and it is very shear stable. Based on UOA's Amsoil has not shown to be anywhere near superior. Ferrari, sorry, but I don't know where you've been.
grin.gif

Amsoil's XL 7500 line is a big waste of money and I put that oil in the same league as Castrol Syntec. Don't waster you money.

[ September 23, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Well, I've run both Mobil1 and Amsoil. I've never had my oil analyzed, so I'm going on the opinions of others.

I just ordered some Series 2000 0W-30. How does Mobil1 stack up against this particular oil?

I think they are both good oils-but I don't think it possible to say that one is absolutely better than the other. Amsoil was clearly better than the trisyn. But as far as Amsoil being clearly superior-don't think so.

M1 runs more smoothly than Amsoil in Honda V6 new car. This is from my own experience. Oil consuption is also less with M1 and Amsoil.

quote:

I just ordered some Series 2000 0W-30. How does Mobil1 stack up against this particular oil?

I don't want to get into a "brand war" but each oil has it's pluses and minuses. I've run Series 2000 and wasn't impressed with it. Others will tell you that the regular ATM/ASL line is as good, and based on what we've seen on this website, they are correct. S2k is a nice oil and I'd be happy with the purchase. Right now I like Mobil 1 for performance, cost and availability. I just bought Redline and hope it does well bc in my next car i'd like to run a higher end synthetic like Redline. Amsoil does a very nice job, especially in cases where a thicker 30wt viscosity is needed. You can't go wrong with either one.

Buster,

These are the miles on the last five Mobil 1 oil analyses posted, not counting the 3MP study, where he's added a quart of makeup oil every 3000 miles:

5600 miles
6700 miles
5100 miles
3000 miles
3000 miles

These are the miles on the last five Amsoil analyses posted - none with bypass filters:

12,000 miles
8272 miles
13,000 miles
13,450 miles
13,584 miles

Given that wear metals accumulate at a constant rate and oil degrades at a constant rate, do you think this just might have some effect on the oil analysis results you are seeing??? I don't know how much experience you have with analyzing data, but you are comparing apples to oranges ....

BTW, I've seen the post from the guy who ran M1 for 17k miles in a VW, but he's driving 250+ miles per day on the highway, which is optimum in terms of wear rates and oil degradation. That's the exception rather than the rule ....

If you selectively pick and choose the data you present, you can generally prove anything you want...
wink.gif

quote:

Mobil 1 is NOT as good or better. It's inferior to Amsoil, but it's a better deal for the money if you don't abuse your engine or don't care about extended drains.

My response was mainly to this quote.
smile.gif

I said you cant go wrong with both. I didn't say one was better then the other. For shorter drains Schaeffer's beats them both in many cases.
cheers.gif
dunno.gif

Your right, you can interpret data to make it how you want it to look, but at this point in time Amsoil is no more capable of extended drains then Mobil 1. TBN's are now at 12 or more for both brands. They each haver there place and fit with certain engines and that was my point.
cheers.gif

BTW, 17k miles is 17k miles no matter how you slice it. That report was very good. How many oils would stay in grade that long with 0 makeup oil?
wink.gif

[ September 23, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

My opinion:

If you're looking at extended drains (10k+), then look at AMSOIL. If not, there is no reason.

I used to be an AMSOIL dealer. I ran a 1995 Toyota Corolla with Series 2000 up to 12k miles and Oil Analyzers said oil needed to be changed. TBN was low, etc, etc (been two years ago...sorry).

I go 5-6k miles on Mobil 1 in my vehicles with great analysis results. I get Mobil 1 at Sam's for $3.83/quart. You cannot argue the cost vs. practicality if you are only going 3-8k miles.

BASICALLY: If you are not going to go beyond 7500 miles...dont waste your money. But if you want YOUR answer, buy some of both and do analysis. Then you will know.

How does one go about getting an independent oil analysis?

The Mobil1 in my Jeep right now has about 6500 miles on it, but it's got about 1/2 quart of Series 2000 mixed with it so analysis would probably be worthless.

Is there a glossary of terms on this website? Some of the acronyms and terminology used here leave me in the dark. I know that oil comes from dinosaurs. Synthetics from the T-Rex. Anyone interested in hearing my opinion of what oil you should be running?

I'm using amsoil right now in my 03 maxima, since i don't put many miles on my car (500 a month), I'm thinking every 6 months, anyone see a problem with this?

quote:

Originally posted by trey:
I'm using amsoil right now in my 03 maxima, since i don't put many miles on my car (500 a month), I'm thinking every 6 months, anyone see a problem with this?

You could go every year instead of six months and it would be perfectly safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back