Amsoil oil is cheaper than Mobil, Pennzoil, Quake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way less with rebates - and starting point in the fuzzy math ? How long are you willing to run oil. And if pushing the limit every time pushes you to pay for an UOA - add that cost.

OR ... use your OLM and a good proven readily available motor oil - rock on.
wink.gif

That's a 2013 chart.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'd like to see the chart re-done with real world prices....

Mobil1 is $10.70/qt at my local auto parts store.

PC price for ASL 5W-30 is $8.30/qt, $32.50/gallon.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I am glad there are options for long drains.

I like this. If you don't like Amsoil don't use it. So much bad mouthing, over and over.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Have any independent tests been done of using any of the Amsoil oils ??

The type of tests used on their web site seem to be specially chosen so that their oil is the top performer and the last time I looked they never even tested any real full synthetics (Group 4).

THIS ^^^^^^ All I have ever seen are tests done by the mothership and then regurgitated by all of the independent dealers. Where is the truly independent data? I'm not saying it is bad stuff but where is the independent analysis?

Yeah, I have never figured out how any oil brand catches so much heat from folks, Amsoil especially. I have no interest in using many different brands, but have no motivation to trash them at every turn. I use Schaeffer primarily, mostly because I purchase in bulk for commercial usage and it is very cost effective to use some of their other stuff for my personal vehicles. It all comes in the same order with free shipping and getting my commercial pricing and 3% pay invoice by check discount. It is a very good oil and has delivered good results for me. But I have no motivation to trash Mobil, Amsoil, SOPUS, or any other. In all fairness, I do use some of the other brands in some specialty applications. I am particularly fond of Mobil Delvac 1 75w90 gear lube for one.

It seems to be a psychological thing with some folks that they have to go out of their way to trash what others might use and they don't, out of some sense of elevating themselves and their choices by tearing down others. Really makes one want to get out of bed in the morning with an attitude like that.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not to beat on Amsoil (I use a few of their products), but (besides the pricing comparison) the thing is since when does it take 2.37 oil changes to go 11K miles with any of the oils in that table?

Amsoil can be an attractive long drain option, but yes, that chart can be a bit misleading. Some of the oils they list claim to be long drains and others do not, so I guess they could have messed with things even more. Pricing, too, as you indicate, can be all over the place. Their Petro-Canada price, given the exchange rate, I can beat at the gas station.
wink.gif

Yet, at a couple places, Amsoil is available on the shelf here, at a very competitive price to other options on the same shelf.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I like this. If you don't like Amsoil don't use it. So much bad mouthing, over and over.

Bingo. Given that prices of oil can be different all over, not to mention what people are able to purchase locally and readily, and what people are trying to accomplish with their maintenance practices, there are a lot of people out there that can make the product work well for them, and work economically.

Yes, Signature Series isn't exactly given away in the clearance aisle. But, I doubt that every quart of M1 EP and gold bottle Edge goes 15,000 miles, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: supton
light-duty vehicles accumulate an average of 11,318 miles a year and are generally used in driving conditions that fall under the severe service category

If that is true (severe service) the Amsoil needs to be changed more often then 11,300 miles, so the Cost Table is still incorrect. (shrug) I need to go waste $50 on a steakhouse.
wink.gif

That is not my quote, that is the quote from Amsoil. It did not make sense to me either, which is why I quoted the whole passage. I had to guess at how they were connecting the dots.

Mobil1 [regular] price is $10.70/qt at my local auto parts store.
PC [sale] price for ASL 5W-30 is $8.30/qt... $32.50/gallon

You can't have it both ways..... comparing regular pricing vs. sale pricing. Let me correct your numbers:
REGULAR:
Mobil 1 == $10.70
Amsoil SS == 12.15 on the web
SALE
Mobil 1 == $4.50
Amsoil == $8.30 according to pablo

(Also add $20 for the club price, which should be included in the total annual cost.) Regular or sale price, either way Amsoil is more expensive.

BTW 32.50/gallon for amsoil? That's not much of a discount. Yesterday I scored 1 gallon of M1 for just $18..... on amazon M1 is listed for 20.10/gallon so still cheaper to sit on your butt & have it shipped to you.

Mobil1 [regular] price is $10.70/qt at my local auto parts store.
PC [sale] price for ASL 5W-30 is $8.30/qt... $32.50/gallon

You can't have it both ways..... comparing regular pricing vs. sale pricing. Let me correct your numbers:
REGULAR:
Mobil 1 == $10.70
Amsoil SS == 12.15 on the web
SALE
Mobil 1 == $4.50

(Also add $20 for the club price, which should be included in the total annual cost.) Regular or sale price, either way Amsoil is more expensive.

BTW 32.50/gallon for amsoil? That's not much of a discount. Yesterday I scored 1 gallon of M1 for just $18..... on amazon M1 is listed for 20.10/gallon so still cheaper to sit on your butt & have it shipped to you.

I agree, but a couple things. People here all the time compare oil sale prices to Amsoil MSRP and no one says a darned thing.

In reality M1 should be compared to Amsoil OE or XL. They are much more equivalent. And lower in price.

And if you want to save the $10 or $20, contact that Pablo guy.

Quote:

Yep!!!
grin2.gif

M1 is no better than Amsoil OEM oil?
(falls over laughing)
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

OEM is more like Walmart synthetic.

SALE
Mobil 1 == $4.50

QED amsoil is more expensive.

M1 is no better than Amsoil OEM oil?
(falls over laughing)
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

OEM is more like Walmart synthetic.

I've seen no demonstrable difference. Using every bit of BITOG logic and data.

WHEN ASMOIL DID THEIR STUDY (post 1)
they didn't compare the M1/PP/QSUD to OE
because they knew it would be beat.

Amsoil made the OE oil to get competitive in the quick lube shops.Its basically,the old XL. Its a good 5000k mile/6 month oil where the XL is better yet and good for 10k miles/6 months.Some guys have run it for a year with a good uoa.Both are group III,high performance hydrocracked oils. SS is their top dog Group IV/Group V oil good for 25k or one year. Probably,the best oil you can buy.

As Pablo said,Mobil 1 should be compared to Amsoil OE and the XL line. Mobil 1 EP is a step above those,but,below Amsoil Signature Series.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Five quarts of Mobil I at Walmart for $22.??. No way. And Anzoil is overprice and way overrated.
Yes Walmart, Costco, Target, other stores have M1 sales at $4.50/quart (packaged in a case or jug). I have some laying in my car's trunk. Other people say a Mobil mail-in-rebate will bring the price as low as $2.50/quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back