Amsoil oil is cheaper than Mobil, Pennzoil, Quake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3115.pdf ..... this PDF compares different oils in various wear tests, plus cost (Table 2). Amsoil makes the assumption their oil only needs to be changed once per 11,000 miles, and all the other oils have to be changed 2.3 times (every 4800 miles). The result is Amsoil costs less annually:

$50.75 Amsoil SS
$92.55 Lucas Syn
$112.69 Mobil EP
$108.55 Pennzoil Ultra
$94.68 Quaker State Ultimate...

Flaw: You don't have to change the oil every 4800 miles, because these synthetics are designed for long drains (like Mobil EP which says 15,000 miles). The table should look like this:

$50.75 Amsoil SS
$39.05 Lucas Syn
$47.55 Mobil EP (*should be $25)
$45.80 Pennzoil Ultra
$39.95 Quaker State Ultimate...

P.S. I also question the cost/quart:
$10.15 Amsoil SS
$ 7.81 Lucas Syn
$ 9.51 Mobil EP
$9.16 Pennzoil Ultra, etc
The cost for the AMSoil seems accurate, but not the rest. I just saw Mobil EP for $4.99 per quart and PU for $4.50.... basically HALF the value Amsoil used in their "study". ***So for example the MobilEP annual cost should be $25.

Here's the table they're using for pricing. $9.51 per quart for Mobil 1 or $9.16 per quart for Pennzoil Ultra.

As if people buy single quarts at the auto parts store for an oil change.

2i25sfk.jpg

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Flaw: You don't have to change the oil every 4800 miles, because these synthetics are designed for long drains (like Mobil EP which says 15,000 miles).

Quote:
Although AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for 25,000 miles/one year in normal service, light-duty vehicles accumulate an average of 11,318 miles a year and are generally used in driving conditions that fall under the severe service category. For those reasons, overall annual cost is evaluated at 11,318 miles under severe service driving conditions. Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil carries a drain interval of up to 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service. Because the other nine oils do not carry a recommended drain interval, a drain interval of 4,777 miles was used, which represents the average drain interval of motorists as reported in the 2012 National Oil & Lube News Operator’s Survey. Although Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for 15,000 miles in out-of-warranty vehicles in certain driving conditions, its extended drain recommendation does not apply for this evaluation. According to the official statement on the Mobil 1 Extended Performance label, “Extended service is not recommended in severe
service applications involving racing and commercial use, frequent towing or hauling, extremely dusty or dirty conditions, or excessive idling.”

Because "everyone" changes their oil early, it leads to an apparently low OCI for the average user. Which then must mean those average users are all under severe service conditions, since they wouldn't change early for no good reason. Thus Mobil 1 cannot be used for 15k in this comparison, and since the other oils don't have a magical mile number associated with them, thus "we're the best".

Edit: It looks like the reasoning for the severe service rating is simply because... people only drive 12k per year? If they drove more or less, then it wouldn't be severe?

Note #2 ( see here) indicates that more miles are driven, for light duty vehicles, in urban rather than rural conditions. What that has to do with it I'm not sure--dusty roads vs stop&go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
light-duty vehicles accumulate an average of 11,318 miles a year and are generally used in driving conditions that fall under the severe service category

If that is true (severe service) the Amsoil needs to be changed more often then 11,300 miles, so the Cost Table is still incorrect. (shrug) I need to go waste $50 on a steakhouse.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It is flawed because we buy our Mobil 1, And other synthetics in 5 quart jugs for about $5-6 per quart

And that is what we can pay for Mobil 1 at the everyday price, if we buy it from Meijer and Walmart. This is not including when Mobil offers their mail-in rebates.

I am buying Mobil 1 from our Meijer in the 5-quart jug for the everyday price of around $25, $27 for EP versions, I send the mail-in rebates for $12 off a 5-quart jug, which then brings down the price to around $13 or $15 for the jug.

Amsoil for such a good oil company - does a pretty poor job of representing themselves here with whacky pricing and complete exclusion of their 15K and 25K oil and filter combos regimens.

UD

Originally Posted By: dave123
No no no not again newbie must read more before posting

Have any independent tests been done of using any of the Amsoil oils ??

I really don't like their comments on long OCI's, as it's a daft idea to extend an OCI beyond the OEM max recommended figure if you are not a UOA fan.

The type of tests used on their web site seem to be specially chosen so that their oil is the top performer and the last time I looked they never even tested any real full synthetics (Group 4).

Last edited:
Yep, their entire price analysis is nonsense, it should be based on Wallymart 5 liter can prices and the same OCI and they base their final cost figure on a different number of oil changes, which is nuts.
Most Amsoils do have more Ca detergents than other oils, so if the limiting factor in terms of when the oil should be changed is related to depletion of the detergents then it will last longer, BUT I would guess that only half of the UOA results I see indicate that detergents (TBN figure) are the limiting factor, often it's oil viscosity, high Silicon from cheap air filters, high wear metals or oil filter limitations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Here's the table they're using for pricing. $9.51 per quart for Mobil 1 or $9.16 per quart for Pennzoil Ultra. As if people buy single quarts at the auto parts store for an oil change.

2i25sfk.jpg

Not to beat on Amsoil (I use a few of their products), but (besides the pricing comparison) the thing is since when does it take 2.37 oil changes to go 11K miles with any of the oils in that table?

Amsoil could be made from unicorn tears and leprechaun farts and cost $0.25 per quart and I still wouldn't buy it. maybe its irrational but I can't stand anything sold via multi level marketing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It is flawed because we buy our Mobil 1, And other synthetics in 5 quart jugs for about $5-6 per quart

Exactly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not to beat on Amsoil (I use a few of their products), but (besides the pricing comparison) the thing is since when does it take 2.37 oil changes to go 11K miles with any of the oils in that table?

01.gif

I once talked to a mechanic who sold Amsoil as well. And he would tell you why you need to change your conventional oil at 3000 miles, despite what your OM or OEM tell you. Maybe you could go 2000-3000 miles more on others synthetic oils. I wrote that off as Education from Amsoil University.

This is the same sort of fake news that is being distributed regarding the recent election. The truth is obvious for anyone who cares to see it. The fake news is interesting to those who either stand to gain something from it, or are unwilling to accept any truth that disagrees with their own convictions. Enough said here?

The majority of people probably aren't able to discern truth from lies. Who decides if the news is real or not?

Yeah I got the hard sell from an Amsoil guy on oil prices. It didn't take a spreadsheet to smell the [censored]. But most people can't do long division in their heads.

I can.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

As if people buy single quarts at the auto parts store for an oil change.

Often all that's available here, probably because hardly anyone does oil changes so are only buying for top-up.

When they do 4 or 5 litre jugs, (or those wee toy US gallons) its often more expensive than buying by the litre/quart.

Chinese logic I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back