Amsoil OE Synthetic 5w30, 12,026 miles on oil, 2015 F150 2.7L EcoBoost @ 138,646 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Change @ 41k was Amsoil Signature Synthentic with 19k miles on oil
  2. Change @ 126k was Super Tech Synthetic with 10,855 miles on oil
I doubt I will spend the money on the Amsoil Signature oil again unless it's doing something far better that makes it worth the price. Plus, I'm paying money for the "Preferred" pricing. Quite frankly I'll probably just use the Super Tech in the future or see if I can't snag a deal on some other candidate. It's a few bucks but it gives me something else to read while in the "Conference Room" early in the morning. 😁

Last edited:
Thanks for the uoa. Not bad considering it's in a gdi TT. I've heard of amsoil OE being 100% group 3 without any group 4 and i still don't know if it's true. But it does seem good. I wonder how Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 would fare.

Thanks for sharing. I haven't done the research on the Group 3 / Group 4 stuff you mentioned. I ran the Amsoil Signature to nearly 20k miles. The filter looked like it was in a turbo truck in Florida for 20k miles. I figured if I went 10k miles, that's less dirt in the motor and just not pushing it so far - but could I do it with a lower cost oil? I tried the Super Tech Synthetic and Amsoil OE and went to 10k with Super Tech and 12k with Amsoil (not on purpose). It seems like both are good options for 10k OCI and the price is right on both. I drive ~30k miles per year so expensive oil is going to cost a few bucks, but whether I think it's worth it is something I have to consider. Besides, who doesn't like the idea of finding something that works great for a great price?

Last edited:
Thanks for the uoa. Not bad considering it's in a gdi TT. I've heard of amsoil OE being 100% group 3 without any group 4 and i still don't know if it's true. But it does seem good. I wonder how Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 would fare.
Yeah, OE is probably like a more expensive M1. For the price I'd just use M1.

which mobil 1 the EP 5w-30. I've seen that the 5w-30 and even the 5w-20 have little no pao or maybe 5% but then again it seems that OE has 0% from what others say but it does well.

I’m impressed with the ‘budget’ synthetics going 10k in a gdi twin-turbo, and still being in grade!
I checked my notes and the Super Tech oil went in at the end of May. So, it also went thru the summer in Central FL. Mid-upper 90 degree temps are routine.

Maybe I will try Pennzoil Platinum next fill. I'm open to suggestions for "Why spend more?" oil. Also, why I need to use something other than Super Tech for a 10k mile oil change, based on the results above.

$14 per qrt. equates to $70 for 5 qrts. which is what my vehicle requires. Or $22 for Penn Platinum and with regular OCI and a good filter, Amsoil is probably good, but it sure ain't 3.5x better.
That's for Signature Series and why would anyone buy single quart bottles when it's available in gallon jugs which would be a little cheaper. Also, we're talking about OE here which is around $33 /gallon. I know it's about $10 more vs PP but some guys just want the Amsoil for some reason or other.

It would be nice is we could find an unbiases source of information on the [I am not sure of the proper wording] the film strength of the different base stocks and blends .

Thanks for sharing. I haven't done the research on the Group 3 / Group 4 stuff you mentioned. I ran the Amsoil Signature to nearly 20k miles. The filter looked like it was in a turbo truck in Florida for 20k miles. I figured if I went 10k miles, that's less dirt in the motor and just not pushing it so far - but could I do it with a lower cost oil? I tried the Super Tech Synthetic and Amsoil OE and went to 10k with Super Tech and 12k with Amsoil (not on purpose). It seems like both are good options for 10k OCI and the price is right on both. I drive ~30k miles per year so expensive oil is going to cost a few bucks, but whether I think it's worth it is something I have to consider. Besides, who doesn't like the idea of finding something that works great for a great price?
Maybe you could try Amsoil SS 5w30 if you're doing 30k a year. 15k mile oci x 2 with Fram Ultra filters for each oci.

I partially agree but vanilla M1 usually spits
out higher iron numbers than this OE sample or most others for that matter.
Even if that's the case, it means absolutely nothing. Different chemistries will have different signatures and spectrography has no way of discerning metal that's been chelated through chemical process from actual physical wear.

I think not. OE would be like regular Mobil 1, Castrol Edge black bottle, Valvoline Syn Power or Pennzoil Platinum. Mobil Super Syn is basically a blend as far as I know.
You can think not all you want.

AMSOIL used to only have the two categories, their Group III product, XL, and their premium extended drain oil, SS.

Now, they have three, with a cheaper entry-level product in OE. So, if we were doing a comparison with Mobil, the products would slot as:
OE - Mobil Super Synthetic (Group 3, designed for normal drain intervals, price conscious, Mobil says 7,500 miles or the OE interval, AMSOIL just says OE interval)
XL - Mobil 1 (Mostly Group 3, some PAO, longer drain capable, more costly, Mobil also uses AN's and POE, no idea if AMSOIL does at this price point. AMSOIL says 12,000 miles, Mobil says 10,000 miles)
SS - Mobil 1 EP (More PAO, AN's and esters. Extended drain capable, most costly. AMSOIL says 25,000 miles, Mobil says 20,000 miles)

That's roughly how they line-up. It's nice that both companies have similar categories to cross like that, most of the others don't have the extended drain oils or the mileage mentions that Mobil and AMSOIL have, so it makes them more difficult to compare. AMSOIL's mileage ratings are a bit higher than Mobil's, but the pricing is a bit higher too.

Last edited:
You can think not all you want.

AMSOIL used to only have the two categories, their Group III product, XL, and their premium extended drain oil, SS.

Now, they have three, with a cheaper entry-level product in OE. So, if we were doing a comparison with Mobil, the products would slot as:
OE - Mobil Super Synthetic (Group 3, designed for normal drain intervals, price conscious, Mobil says 7,500 miles or the OE interval, AMSOIL just says OE interval)
XL - Mobil 1 (Mostly Group 3, some PAO, longer drain capable, more costly, Mobil also uses AN's and POE, no idea if AMSOIL does at this price point. AMSOIL says 12,000 miles, Mobil says 10,000 miles)
SS - Mobil 1 EP (More PAO, AN's and esters. Extended drain capable, most costly. AMSOIL says 25,000 miles, Mobil says 20,000 miles)
You are mistaken.OE has a tbn of 8, XL 10, and SS 12. Don't believe me ask Pablo. OE is equal to all of Walmart's brand name regular shelf oils. XL is obviously a bit of a niche because of it's higher tbn= 10.

You are mistaken.OE has a tbn of 8, XL 10, and SS 12. Don't believe me ask Pablo. OE is equal to all of Walmart's brand name regular shelf oils. XL is obviously a bit of a niche because of it's higher tbn= 10.
I'm not mistaken.

You can't just go by TBN. There is more to an oil's OCI capability than just how it is based.

Put on your thinking cap for a minute here, I've given you actual numbers from both manufacturers (the mileage claims). OE is clearly not equal to M1 EP, heck, it isn't even equal to regular M1, which they guarantee for 10,000 miles. You have to step up to XL to get the higher mileage (12,000 miles) guarantee from AMSOIL; beyond the OE interval.

I've been on this board for 14 years. I have an AMSOIL dealer license, under Pablo. We may not always agree on some of this stuff, but I'd say we have a pretty good report, given that we've been chatting on here since long before our other AMSOIL sponsor board member, Gary Allan, passed away. Spirited but civil discussion was a lot more technical in nature back then than it tends to be now.

As I said, in terms of how these products are "slotted", OE aligns with Super Synthetic, XL with Mobil 1 and SS with M1 EP. Regarding the "other" brands on the Walmart shelf, well, they aren't making 10,000 and 20,000 mile OCI capability claims like Mobil is are they? So clearly their position requires a bit more nuance. If you'd like to discuss that? I'm game.

OE recommends olm, do you think vanilla Mobil1 is recommended past the olm?
Yes, it's recommended for up to 10,000 miles, we've already been over this. XL is recommended for 12,000 miles.
Usually tbn will dictate oci.
You have to watch both TAN and TBN. But different chemistry can have them cross while the oil is still serviceable because certain chemistries can skew TAN.
With a tbn of less than 8 you can't compare vanilla M1 to Amsoil XL.
Yes, you can. TBN depletion isn't linear and two oils with the same TBN will not necessarily deplete at the same rate. You have to run them both in service to see how they ultimately hold up. TBN depletion also isn't the only factor. Fuel dilution, oxidation, contaminant uptake, these are all factors that can result in the termination of the OCI before TBN is depleted.
OE lets you go as far as mfg.says or olm.
Yes, so does Mobil Super Syn.
That could be anywhere from say 5-12k miles depending on usage and algorithm.
Yes, and that's the same provision for ANY of the off-the-shelf oils. They are suitable for use as long as the OE interval, dictated by the OLM. That's part of the bloody approval process! The point is that OE is only guaranteed for that usage profile, while XL steps it up to 12,000 miles if that exceeds the OE interval. Mobil 1 is similar, it steps it up to 10,000 miles. And of course we still aren't discussing M1 EP with its 20,000 mile interval, are we?
Go to the website, call Amsoil or pm Pablo. Vanilla M1, please.
Dude, I'M A DEALER!, did you read my bloody post you responded to? I've known Pablo for FOURTEEN YEARS on here. You aren't going to win this argument, full-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back