Amsoil OE 5w20 - 8,000 miles - 06 Honda Civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea i guess you're right. I've never been to the dealer except to buy the car so i don't know for sure, only what i read on the interwebz (the Civic forum
grin2.gif
)

It's extremely annoying to see the freakin oil light each and every time you start the car once the meter gets to 15% so i've been resetting it in my Civic and then continue running the oil 3,000 miles longer to 10k. That's just me though.

Yup in both my Acura's 15% is just to tell you an oil change is coming up and to set an appointment with dealership. So anytime between 15% and 0% the oil can be changed.

And in my research Honda is more conservative in the Maintenance Minder so going down to 0% is fine.

You are way too nit picky follow the OLM (MM) and use any oil that meets the spec in the manual.

Thank you for the advice. I refuse to blindly follow the MM, so I choose to be picky.
grin2.gif

Besides, I wanna squeeze out every last drop of life outta the oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Good post, dmiko. Useful, documented info that clears thing up a lot.

Yea, +1 imaginary rep for dmiko for setting things straight.

It really depends on your driving style. The "Maintenance Minder" adjusts the oil life according to the driving conditions. If you were doing mostly highway cruising, i can see it extending it that far.

That's exactly what i thought.

It's interesting to see the difference between the OE and SSO that i posted from my 07 Civic EX after 7,500 miles, which still had a TBN of 5.8 and showed much better wear numbers. The question is; is it worth 2x the cost? Haha

Originally Posted By: Artem
That's exactly what i thought.

It's interesting to see the difference between the OE and SSO that i posted from my 07 Civic EX after 7,500 miles, which still had a TBN of 5.8 and showed much better wear numbers. The question is; is it worth 2x the cost? Haha

That's a good question. The fact that the numbers were better is a good thing, it shows there is a definite difference in quality of the oil and the chemistry of it. If it is used as intended then IMO it is worth twice the cost. If is used for the same interval, with better wear protection for the shorter interval, that would be a matter of opinion and a topic that would yield some good discussion, or get locked. LOL. Pick one.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's a good question. The fact that the numbers were better is a good thing, it shows there is a definite difference in quality of the oil and the chemistry of it. If it is used as intended then IMO it is worth twice the cost. If is used for the same interval, with better wear protection for the shorter interval, that would be a matter of opinion and a topic that would yield some good discussion, or get locked. LOL. Pick one.

As much as i agree, i'm sure "some" on here will argue the fact that its two different engines, used differently from one another. One engine could be wearing differently, etc etc. (my engine has been on Mobil 1 EP since the first oil change @ 2,000 miles and this Civic has been on who knows what)

Now if say i used Amsoil's Signature Series line of oil in this Civic next time, at the same interval and it shows less wear, THAT would be something to see...
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting this UOA.

When it is brought out, OE 0W-20 is on my short-list to run in my Tribute this coming winter.

I was starting to 'worry' a bit about whether it could survive a 6-month, short-trip, winter run, or whether I 'had' to move up to XL. this UOA reassures me it can.

I'd say the oil did great here - short trips, 8k, fuel dilution...and viscosity is solid, and there is TBN on the table. good show for this oil.

I'll switch over to the 0w20 when it comes out as well.

I agree that this oil did a pretty good job with whatever was thrown at it.

wow i'm impressed by the OEM line. I agree, they need a 0w20 OEM or XL version. Shame that signature has gotten that much more expensive over the past year.

Both OE 0W-20 and XL 0W-20 are supposed to be out sometime around the end of summer. I'm hoping its out in time for my 'winter' OC in late October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back