Amsoil O E 5W-30 10,428 Mi , 2011 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes everything is pretty good excellent for that mileage.

Very nice report, best I've seen for Amsoil OE - isn't 5W-20 recommended? Using that thick 5W-30 doesn't seem to have caused any extreme start up wear. I'm sure your gas mileage was killed though.

Seemore thanks for the report. I'm likely going to use Amsoil 0w30 in the F150, also has the 5.0. Did you notice any difference at all when changing from 20 weight to 30 weight?

Yes everything is pretty good for that mileage.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Should look good with 8qts in the sump...

Because with Amsoil it's NEVER actually the oil. But with PU, M1, Shell, German Green Castrol, etc.....it's THE oil. Interesting.

Thanks for the replies , to those wondering if it hurt my MPG , no, it still gets around 26-27 mpg highway , would get better if I didn't have the 3.73 gears . As to added wear, no, the first 3 samples were 5w-20 oils , and you can see the trend , it is going down with the "heavy" oils, as the one before this one was Amsoil 0w-30 .
Kuato, the only change I have noticed , is that it seem a bit quieter . I wont argue the point of wrong weight or not , I just know what works for me and the way I drive this car . Some weeks it is on the track, and some weeks it just cruises . Again thanks for your replies .

Should look good with 8qts in the sump - if not raced I don't see why you wouldn't run the 20 grade and pick up 15 more ponies.

Not sure where you got that number from as to picking up HP with the 5w-20 oil, but it sure doesn't show up on the dyno . I know , because I tried it .

Originally Posted By: seemore
. As to added wear, no, the first 3 samples were 5w-20 oils , and you can see the trend , it is going down with the "heavy" oils, as the one before this one was Amsoil 0w-30 .
Kuato, the only change I have noticed , is that it seem a bit quieter . I wont argue the point of wrong weight or not , I just know what works for me and the way I drive this car . Some weeks it is on the track, and some weeks it just cruises . Again thanks for your replies .

Better be careful with those thicker oil comments. LOL All kidding aside, once again nice report. I wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Because with Amsoil it's NEVER actually the oil. But with PU, M1, Shell, German Green Castrol, etc.....it's THE oil. Interesting.

Hehehe.

Yep

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes everything is pretty good excellent for that mileage.

We don't really want to see any aluminum in a UOA, but it appears universal averages are 5, wondering if they have enough data to have a good average.

Originally Posted By: seemore
Thanks for the replies , to those wondering if it hurt my MPG , no, it still gets around 26-27 mpg highway , would get better if I didn't have the 3.73 gears . As to added wear, no, the first 3 samples were 5w-20 oils , and you can see the trend , it is going down with the "heavy" oils, as the one before this one was Amsoil 0w-30 .

Thanks; I had little worry before, now I have none.

Nailed it...

Nice results. I'd be curious to see a UOA with the 5w20. I'd probably stick with the 5w30 for extra security although this oil's viscosity didn't budge. This is the old XL oil, which was always very good.

Nothing against Amsoil Pablo - they make a great honest, product :)I've been saying Amsoil's 10w30 ATM is the poster child for 30 grade "real" synthetic performance for years.

Amsoil OE and XL PDS show a HTHS of 3.3

I haven't seen any other 5w-30 that is an API Licensed oil that has that high of HTHS spec.
That, in it's self should translate into somewhat less wear. IMHO

Last edited:
Great report!

Large sump is why I don't mind running out our Caravan according to the OLM, with ~6.5 quarts of VWB. The last light went off around 8k miles.

if not raced I don't see why you wouldn't run the 20 grade and pick up 15 more ponies.

It won't gain anywhere near 15HP with a swap back to 5W-20, more like 1 rwhp tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back