Amsoil Lower Engine temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Do new corvettes have a digital readout for engine temp?

Yes they do, and they read the exact temp too, so if you're stopped in traffic you can see it go from 190 to 191 to 192, etc. There is no reason to doubt it's accuracy, if it says 190 all the time when you're on the highway, and has done this for months, and then you switch oils and it then says 185, you know it must be true.

I'll agree with Doug and Steve. Hard to se more than a couple of degrees bc of the thermostat.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Buster, no offense intended here but it seems you come up with some things such as this seemingly trying to make amsoil look better than other oils. In some cases it seems a stretch. I myself would like to see all these temp drops. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate this.

Bob,

I have a friend--Amsoil dealer, that put Amsoil ATF in his Pickup that he pull this massive RV with. Going over Donner Pass in California his trans temps would go over 230 degree sometimes he would have to pull off to the side to let it cool.

After installing Amsoil ATF in his trans and doing the exact same pass with the exact same load trans never went over 200 degree. Matter of fact he though maybe his guage was messed up and had it looked at(he has the pillar guages with Trans temp, EGT, and I think turbo boost)

I've also (heard) that harleys have had lower overall temps of 20+ degree when switching to syn.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
[qb] After installing Amsoil ATF in his trans and doing the exact same pass with the exact same load trans never went over 200 degree. Matter of fact he though maybe his guage was messed up and had it looked at(he has the pillar guages with Trans temp, EGT, and I think turbo boost)
I've also (heard) that harleys have had lower overall temps of 20+ degree when switching to syn.
I did note the same thing in my since disceased Corsica when I put in Mobil 1 ATF as compared to conventional ATF. The thing here is that we are comparing a syn to a non syn as opposed to the origional post in this thread. Also in my case and in the case of your friend-the temperature is no longer controlled by the stat. It is controlled by the size of the Radiator and its ability to reject the heat. So it is obvious that the synthetic ATF did indeed allow less friction and hence less heat generation.
cheers.gif

Are you talking about oil temp? I can believe that would change, but coolant temp is controlled by the thermostat. I guess if you were consisitently over the stat temp, it could cause it to rise over less.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Now regarding oil pressure. He said at start up with Amsoil the oil pressure was a 35psi. With Mobil 1 it was 40psi. When he gets on the car with the Mobil 1 the PSI goes up very fast. With the Amsoil 0w-30 it goes up slower. So would you say the oil pressure is better or worse with Amsoil 0w-30? Where is Molekule?
grin.gif
dunno.gif
[/QB]

Here is your answer.
0w is thinner than 5w so his Amsoil cold start oil pressure is lower than the 5w30 Mobil 1. At normal temperatures the 0w Amsoil is still thinner. Notice when he gets on it, the oil pressure goes up slower. Therefore there is more oil being pumped thru the engine with the thinner oil. Since oil cools the engine 40%, he sees a drop in engine temp with the thinner Amsoil.

Leo

Leo's answer sounds reasonable. But has anyone considered that the M1 was the factory fill / break-in oil? Could this be a factor? Reason has it that an engine runs hotter during break-in than after all the parts settle in. Just a guess here.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I'll agree with Doug and Steve. Hard to se more than a couple of degrees bc of the thermostat.
dunno.gif

Please tell me where I am not thinking correctly here; once the thermostat opens and the cooling fan (belt driven or electric) is doing its thing, couldn't a very slippery oil cause the engine to work less hard and the temperature to drop (like when you are climbing and then descending a steep grade)?

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is i think Mobil 5w-30 is thinner then Amsoil 0w-30 at cold temps. (kvisc@40C). I think it comes down to what is being said in the other posts and that most likely Amsoil 0w-30 contains more esters (increase price) and therefore is a better oil. We know that it's PA0 + V esters so most likely it contains more of the esters.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
My friend recently put Amsoil 0w-30 S2k into his 2003 Vette. He has noticed that his engine temps are now 20 degrees cooler and his oil pressure is more stable. He previously had factory fill Mobil 1 5w-30. Why would a thicker oil (then M1) create cooler engine temperatures? My initial thoughts are that it transfers heat better due to lower friction. I've guys with Audi's say this too that Amsoil 0w-30 has reduced their engine temps. by 15 degrees on average.

What is interesting about this is that Amsoil buys there PAO base stock from ExxonMobil. Are their various grades of PAO base stocks and would they be selling out better base oils then what they are using in Mobil 1? On the other hand, it could just be the added package and the fact that Amsoil is a more refined, expensive therefore better product. Any ideas?

Where's the temperature sensor located?

It's a computer read out. I'm not exactly sure where it's located. The bottom line is that I think Amsoil S2k contains more esters then Mobil 1. Wouldn't that make the difference in terms of its cooling ability? It is more expensive so I'm thinking that the cost is reflected in the formula. M1 is mostly PAO hence the lower $4qt cost.
dunno.gif

A friend of mine lives out in Las Vegas and has a Harley in which he runs AMSOIL in. On a ride with a few of his friends this past June he said that his oil temp was lower than the other guys temps and the one had the same bike as his but ran Harley oil in it.

I don't see how anyone can ride a bike in an oven like the Las Vegas area in the hot days of June but then when your a die hard bike person it doesn't bother you.
grin.gif

A very scientific finding:

When I first put AMSOIL into my 1973 Saab (over 25 years ago), I was a bit hesitant. Ran about 75 miles on the interstate, and pulled into a rest stop. Opened the hood, pulled the dipstick, and the oil was warm (rather than hot) to the touch. By the time I got home, about 1000 miles later, I had picked up about 3 miles per gallon.
Changed gear lube, got another mpg.

Based on that, and the fact that the car lasted another 60,000 miles until my daughter stopped a pickup truck with the side of it, I decided that I probably shouldn't use it anymore, as it caused wrecks!

A few years ago, a friend put Amsoil 10W-30 into the engine of his Honda Civic.
Within one week his battery went dead,
he thought the Amsoil might be negatively charged,
and over a weeks time killed his battery.
wink.gif

I put my F-150 dash in test mode which displays engine temp in the head in a digital format. It was 91C, which is the same temp it was before I changed to Amsoil 0w-30 from Motorcraft 5w-20.

I'm thinking that he ran the fist factory fill oil, M1 5w-30, fairly hard until 5k miles. I think if he were to switch and put fresh M1 in, it would be the same. I emailed Amsoil about this and all they said was that they would love to share there formulation, but it's proprietary.
rolleyes.gif

Ok, I thought I'd bring this up. My other friend at work just changed his oil and has 5qts of 5w-30 M1 and 1qt of Delvac 1 and his engine temps yesterday were 194 to 197. So I think the fresh oil is helping and maybe the Delvac mixed in. Point is I think you guys were right and that the oil wasnt really lower the temp. as my friend thought.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back