Amsoil HDD vs. ACD for shear stabilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
the owner of the local pump shop says that the best thing to run in those trucks is rotella t dino. he has customers come in and complain that there truck is runnin like crap. he changes the oil and it fixes the problem half of the time he said. some oils have better/more anti foamants and that is very important with the heui injectors.

quote:

Originally posted by steiner43511:
the owner of the local pump shop says that the best thing to run in those trucks is rotella t dino. he has customers come in and complain that there truck is runnin like crap. he changes the oil and it fixes the problem half of the time he said.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by snoboy:
Which of these two oils would maintain viscosity better when used in the Ford 6.0 PSD with HEUI injectors?

HDD is the best oil Amsoil offers. Period.

Why would anyone still want to use a single weight oil?
confused.gif

Thanks TS and DR Racing. I have used the HDD for 6000 miles and though the wear rates seemed fine my Viscosity was @ 9.48 Cst. My engine has always knocked its oil down at least 1 grade in a short period, ie. Schaeffer,s 7000 12.4 in 2000 miles. Amsoil AMO 12.5 in 6000 miles. I'm looking seriously at the ACD as a good shear stable all season oil for this truck.

snoboy sounds like your engine would be a great test for ACD. I would like to know how well a zero polymer oil holds up in it. Is it common for this engine type to be so hard on the oil or maybe there is something wrong with it? Dan

Its pretty normal for the 6.0s to shear oil. One theory I have which I'll find out when I sample next is... 6.0s originally had a pilot injection that fired fuel multiple times at idle (using oil pressure) for a quiet smooth idle. After you get a reflash the pilot injection is disabled and no longer plays a role in the hammering of the oil (my unproven theory). The last sample I took was on oil that had been installed prior to my reflash. We shall see on my next oil change.

snoboy

Why would anyone still want to use a single weight oil?
confused.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]
To stir the pot what is wrong with a single weight oil ,given proper temperatures.

Ihave switched over everything in my trawler to ACD.
Cat3116
8kw Koehler generator
ZF 220A-1 gearbox.

Everyone seems very happy.
Craig

I know this thread was 9 years ago, but wanted to get updates on AMSOIL ACD vs HDD in a 6.0 powerstroke. I've seen uoa' on the HDD in a 6.0, but none on the ACD.

On paper, seems the ACD would be the best oil to run in a 6.0 and be very shear stable. Input and thoughts would greatly be appreciated?

I have been toying around with the idea of trying the ACD in my 12.7L Detroit Series 60. Lube manual clearly lays out a 10w30 is fine for use in this engine, as long as it meets 93K214 specs, which ACD does. The idea of using a oil that needs no VI to get the job done as a 10w30 has me intrigued. I have tried various 5w40 and even a couple of 15w40 oils in this engine and it really beats the snot out an oil and degrades viscosity. No fuel dilution, so that can't be the culprit. It must be shearing the oil up pretty good. Right now, the Schaeffer 7000 15w40 shows the least abuse from the engine. Could be, the ACD might just hold a little better.

TiredTrucker, I agree with you using the oil, just be careful as it doesn't "Meet" the standard that you need.

It's been assessed by Amsoil as being suitable for applications that call for that standard.

When quizzed about why they recommend it for A3/B4, when it doesn't have the HTHS greater >= 3.5, I was told that 3.5 is just an "arbitrary number"....

Chances are that it would still be good, but when the most explicit and one of the easiest to get right specs is "arbitrary", I wonder about the more complex and pricey specs of OEMS.

Did Amsoil actually say "arbitrary" ? You repeat that over and over here, week after week. Who quizzed them and what was actually said by Amsoil?

And do you really understand the point? Is there something magic about 3.4 vs 3.5?

You also imply Amsoil is hiding something. Please enlighten us.

Pablo,
if you recall, it was actually you in a Private Message when I asked you to ask them how they could recommend it.

Your word was, in fact "arbitrary".

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pablo,
if you recall, it was actually you in a Private Message when I asked you to ask them how they could recommend it.

Your word was, in fact "arbitrary".

Thank you. EXACTLY as I thought. I said the 3.5 is arbitrary in my opinion. Please stop writing that Amsoil says this.

Is there any measurable difference between 3.4 vs 3.5 HTHS? I was told by a ford tech in the past that 3.5 HTHS is the minimum one should run in a 6.0 powerstroke. Recently, I've been exclusively using AMSOIL OE 10w30 with a 3.6 HTHS. I've been contemplating using HDD for my next oil change for a bit more fuel economy and the best cold start up protection I can get.

Maybe the HDD offers a greater level of protection over ACD? If the much more affordable OE 10w30 diesel synthetic has 3.6 HTHS, then why bother with the expensive HDD?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back