Amsoil HDD--Toyota Tundra 5.7L--6400 miles/ 13 mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the miles are towing my 8000lb 5th wheel, and/or our 4-horse trailer. I only put 6400k miles on the oil in 13 months, and i left the TRD oil filter in during the entire OCI.

OAI in SLC, Utah did the report.

Data indicates no immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions. TBN is MODERATELY LOW. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

NOTE: First number is my PREVIOUS 8400 mile run of SSO, & 2-OEM oil filter changes. Second number will be the current run of HDD w/ TRD oil filter.

*********Wear metals ppm*
IRON--12---11
CHROMIUM--0---0
NICKEL--0---0
ALUMINUM--3---8---This concerns me, as the engine is all aluminum.
COPPER--4---6--???
LEAD--0---0
TIN--0---0
CADMIUM--0---0
SILVER--0---0
TITANIUM--0---0
VANADIUM--0---0

*********Contaminant metals--ppm**
SILICON--14---15--This is high due to use of oiled TRD filter.
SODIUM--10---13
POTASSIUM--0---2

*********Multi source metals ppm**
MOLYBDENUM--10---2 Not much moly in HDD?
ANTIMONY--0---0
MANGANESE--0---0
LITHIUM--0
BORON--22---3--HDD don't have much boron in it?

********Additive metals ppm*
MAGNESIUM--13---10
CALCIUM--3558---3606
BARIUM--0---0
PHOSPHOROUS--583---982
ZINC--676---1177--Wow! Double the zinc. WTH?

DATE sampled--8/14/11
Date received--8/22/11
Unit time--13 months
Lube time--6400 miles
Lube change--yes
Filter change--yes
FUEL--less than .1%
SOOT--less than .1%
WATER--less than .1%
VIS @ 100.C--10.4---11.9---What is virgin HDD?
TAN---not listed
TBN--3.80
I-R OXIDA--41---29---This went down. Nice! Little less towing.
I-R NITRA--22---16---This also went down.

My total miles on the truck are 40k.

I am a little dissapointed in the UOA after using this high end oil, and less miles. Mainly with the Aluminum & TBN numbers. I just replaced this oil and filter using HDD 5w30 and TRD filter, even though toyota recomends a 0w20 or 5w/20 for this motor.

Please comment mainly on the side notes i wrote above.

Thank you.

Any body know what is native in HDD for SI?

8 PPM aluminum?????? Is there any need to be concerned, and will the heavier weight oil cause a problem? Toyota specs this motor for a 20w.

What does Zinc do? Is it good?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Going to dinner now, and i'll be back in a couple hours.

8 ppm of Al is really nothing. 13 months. Towing. Utah winter. Good sized engine.

Native Si is 8-10 ppm. I honestly don't think 14-15 ppm Si is anything to worry about.

If anything I think the lab read P and Zn a little low. They should be ~1100 and ~1300.

Viscosity is pretty much dead nuts on. HDD starts at 11.7

Seems TBN is a little low, but not bad for 13 months. You probably had some short trips in there.

Seeing this UOA as a whole, it's actually excellent, but I'll let the others give their opinions.

Considering the duty cycle of this OCI, I think this is an excellent report. 95% towing? wow that's a lot.

I don't think the HDD 5w30 is necessary in your application though, it's a diesel oil, and one that is over SM/SN limits on ZDDP. I'd just use AZO or ASL. Well ok I'd probably use ASM, but I don't tow
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Pablo for your response.

For the record:

TBN on the last run was 4.96 with the SSO. I removed it for some reason when i posted.

More comments anyone?

Do i need to worry about this truck running HDD for a whole year?

Those numbers look good for 13 months and truck duty. I would go back to the SSO,if I was going to change,anything.

If you are going to try to analyze UOA's on a Toyota engine that normally throws single digit wear numbers, you'd best have a reference VOA from the batch that you are using and do a few UOA's with the same oil for trending. This engine is just starting to get worn in, so now is a good time to do that.

Aluminum is normally associated with piston wear. Copper is normally associated with bearing wear. The TBN is still strong on both samples, but you don't know how effective it is unless it is tested for TAN. With your OCI, it's not really a big deal though.

I've never seen a VOA on HDD. Anyone know where to find one?

The jump in aluminum has got me a little concerned; even though it's only 8 ppm.

I asked for a TAN sample, but they wanted an extra $15 to do it so i said no thanks.

Right. Your uoa is good,but,splitting hairs,I would run the SSO next time. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back