Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil filter--EAO for whole duration
Oil--HDD 5w30 with no makeup oil added
Driving--80 city/20 hiway
50,362 miles on unit
Air filter--TRD
Lab# 494054---SLC, Utah----OAI

Overall severity of report is 4 which is critical for low TBN.

Comments: Base number is SEVERELY LOW; Abrasives ( silicon/dirt ) are at a minor level; Infrared results indicate beginning lube oxidation; viscosity is SLIGHTLY HIGH; lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

NOTE: First numbers are my last run of ASL, and the second is the current run of HDD. Both approximately same mileage, but OEM oil filter used on the first run.

WEAR METALS--PPM
IRON------20 / 12 --this is good.
CHROMIUM--0/0
NICKEL----0/1
ALUMINUM--7/16---this is concerning. WTH?
COPPER----3/2
LEAD------2/0
TIN-------0/0
CADMIUM---0/0
SILVER----0/0
VANADIUM--0/0

CONTAMINANT METALS--PPM

SILICON---30/36--Flagged
SODIUM----7/7
POTASSIUM-0/3

MULTI SOURCE METALS--PPM

TITANIUM--0/0
MOLY------59/7--HDD must not have much moly?
ANTIMONY--1/0
MANGANESE-0/0
LITHIUM---0/0
BORON-----46/5--HDD must not have much boron either?

ADDITIVE METALS--PPM

MAGNESIUM--14/13
CALCIUM----3682/3384
BARIUM-----1/0
PHOSPHO----721/953
ZINC-------899/1142

FUEL-------- SOOT-------- WATER------- VISC-100CCS--11.3/12.7---Starts at 12.1, so went up a bit.
TBN----------1.88/1.85---Flagged for critical

I-R OXID----41/50---WTH is up here? I assume this is not good.
I-R NITRA---27/32--also went up.

I was hoping that by switching to HDD it would help my numbers, but it looks like i was dead wrong. I don't know what to do now after looking at the comparisons. I spent more money on the oil hoping for better results, and it didn't happen.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Please help!!

Thanks

Am i just SOL in thinking i could go longer with such a high quality oil?

Is 9k miles the longest i can go?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Switch to a cheaper oil and change it more often. Seriously.

I also noticed the cheaper oils performing just as good as the more expensive type from personal UOA experiments.

I don't really care about the cost much, but i do want it to hold up better than this has.

Am i asking too much, or should i be looking at a different brand oil?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
6-month OCI's on M1 EP would probably be cheaper.......

+1, That is not a bad UOA though. What gets me is the expense and claims of the oil you used. Just look at TBN retention. More so on the ASL, that is a low reading. (and I don't agree when people say "TBN is not that important".
Acid build-up in the oil is not good for wear, period.

I would love to be proven wrong but I bet you could run most any major conventional and get the same results. Try M1EP or PU if you want to extend OCI's...for a much lesser cost. I don't want to come off as bashing Amsoil. I just don't think it is the right oil for your vehicle.

I would say you should check your air filtration. With your Si level up and your Al up, this indicates dirt ingress via the air intake system. Your other wear metals are quite low, so the oil is doing it's job.

Sodium and Potassium are probably just from dirt as well, but watch it. To go from zeros to a reading could mean something.

The oxidation and nitration numbers are meaningless. You will need the numbers from a virgin sample for comparison.

The TBN loss is quite alarming. I've NEVER seen HDD TBN drop like that. It's not normal. It happened with both oils. When you say 80% city - how far are your commutes? Something is going on to depress a high TBN oil like HDD. I suspect the engine definitely not getting fully hot.

You are correct. The wife drives 1 mile to work, then way too many short drives here and there. The oil doesn't have a chance to warm up fully; most of the time.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
You are correct. The wife drives 1 mile to work, then way too many short drives here and there. The oil doesn't have a chance to warm up fully; most of the time.

Amsoil XL, every 4-6 months. Maybe change in Oct-Nov., go until Feb-March, then Oct-Nov, something like that. A little longer in Summer and shorter in winter - regardless of oil choice.

When do you suggest i change the HDD in there now?

8k?

Well into the fall - winter - Nov. Miles aren't your enemy, it's the time and season and amount of cold starts.

Okay; thank you Pablo. Much appreciated.

I've been noticing a brown colored film inside the oil fill neck of the engine. I don't like seeing that, so i think i'll take your advice.

Okay; thank you Pablo. Much appreciated.

I've been noticing a brown colored film inside the oil fill neck of the engine. I don't like seeing that, so i think i'll take your advice.

Poke at it, is it sludge or is it varnish?

3T's, it would be very beneficial to take this rig on a weekly run and get it good and hot. The conditions your rig is now enduring are very conducive to sludge buildup. To fight it you need to get the engine up to temp as often as you can and change the oil more often, something along the lines of what Pablo suggested with the XL series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back