Amsoil HD syn oil -- 400K miles w/o oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admins: Posted in the wrong forum, could either one of u move it this thread to the HD forums... Thx in advance

That demo is so old it's not funny.

Anyway, this demo shouldn't really give you any assurance about their 25k OCI's - there is a HUGE difference between how a diesel rig, with a 10-gallon sump, and constant operation, runs vs. a gasoline paasenger car engine doing even highway driving.

Amsoil products Tested by Amsoil = highly exaggerated claims.

I Really like Amsoil.. But use your noggin.

That is an absolute fact...the EGR rates are hellish on oil and can absolutely kill your drain interval. I am really interested in seeing how the new DEO and DME products from Amsoil hold up over the stated 50,000 mile or 3x oem drains on the vehicles with high EGR rates and are not running bypass filtration.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
This is making me a believer in their 25K OCIs.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1343.pdf

This URL is simply jaw dropping. This topic may have been discussed before but I just saw this on another forum and cannot believe it..
But will you do 25,000 mile 1 year oil change intervals? Not many Amsoil believers do.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Another thing to consider is when comparing this to a new vehicle the old diesels were MUCH easier on lube oil than the new DPF equipped, EGR packed diesels

Which is a great reason to block the EGR and get rid of the DPF!!!! Muaaaa hahahahahahahaha........

Infidel....they are watching you LOL!!
45.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
This is making me a believer in their 25K OCIs.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1343.pdf

This URL is simply jaw dropping. This topic may have been discussed before but I just saw this on another forum and cannot believe it..
But will you do 25,000 mile 1 year oil change intervals? Not many Amsoil believers do.
I do the once a year oil change in my Silverado and the girlfriend's Grandprix with the SSO 0w30 and have never experienced any problems. Both engines are spotless under the valve covers.

I have seen many engines running Amsoil looking as you mentioned and I agree in your experience. I will say and do that runnung syn oil at dino oil intervals is a waste of $$$ and to look at how many syn oil changes are done at dino oil changes on the uoa postings.

Again comparing the engine oil in a spark ignited engine to that of a diesel is a useless comparison.

And lets just say I MIGHT live in California.

I also MIGHT own a sawsall.

AGAIN another POSSIBLITY is that I own a computer and an SCT programmer.

But all of that is pure speculation

I knew, this one guy who deleted the EGR system from his diesel volkswagen and wear rates dropped considerably according to UOA.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
I knew, this one guy who deleted the EGR system from his diesel volkswagen and wear rates dropped considerably according to UOA.

I disabled the EGR on my Cummins ISX. Got almost a full mpg increase (very substantial in a semi regularly running a gvw of 70,000 +). My UOA's look a lot better. Engine runs smoother and I don't have near the soot buildup on the stack tips.

If you don't mind me asking how did you go about disabling the egr with out setting codes in the ecm?

I do know that junking all the ACERT parts of off a C-15 and converting it basically into a single turbo pre emissions 3406E will yield 2 mpg + improvements

Last edited:
I followed the recommendation of a couple of drivers and a Cummins tech (which will remain nameless to protect him). It involved letting the engine sit overnight to cool completely. Then, turn key on without starting. Let sit like this for at least 10-15 seconds to ensure EGR valve in closed position. Then unplug the lower EGR plug wire. That's it. No need to repeat process at each start. Only if EGR plugged reconnected.

It did throw a fault code, but no CEL or "limp" or derate mode in the ECM. From others I have discussed this with, certain truck makes will react differently, i.e. throw a CEL or multiple faults. I am concluding that this is relative to the engine model year and how the engine communicates with the truck's vehicle information center. I have a '06 International 9400i with the ISX. Hardly any engine information is passed to the limited display info. From experience, I have seen Volvo trucks display everything up to almost including the last time the driver wiped his rear. Therefore, depending on the engine/vehicle/year combination, the results may be different.

That being said, there are a number of us that have tried this procedure with good results. It would appear that this not a viable option for those with the DPF systems. It seems limited to those with pre-07 EGR equipped ISX engines. The pre-07 engines seem to not have as many sensors giving detailed EGR data to the ECM like positioning and flow rates.

TiredTrucker you are right about this being an 05-06 Cummins work around based on our fleet experiences. 07 ISM and ISX's with DPF's/EGR don't let you do anything fun to either component without beating you down and calling home to boot! Cummins latest EGR design is a lot friendlier to engine performance and less plug ups than previous versions. FYI- based on what I'm seeing out of Europe SCR is looking even better and better (minus having to recharge some of the urea based systems) for balancing pollution reduction and overall vehicle function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back