Amsoil Filter Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
When folks here were touting the excellent filtering ability of the Mobil 1 filter ($10) several months ago the first shot fired back was that the Mobil 1 was not five times better than the ST for $2.00 and not twice as good as the Pure One for something about $6.00.

Now along comes the Amsoil filter for maybe $15.00 and not a peep about the cost.

What has changed?
dunno.gif

Never heard that from me.

IMO the few dollars spent for a filter that DOES work is worth 10X whatever the cut rate #@$%! is.

Quote:

Now along comes the Amsoil filter for maybe $15.00 and not a peep about the cost.

What has changed?
dunno.gif

PUT DOWN THE FILTER AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude people howl ALL the time about the purchase price of the Amsoil filters. Not sure where you've been.

Once people started finding out how great they are, sure then the true value, or rather cost, comes to the surface. This, maybe, is what you are seeing discussed.

Yep ..talking someone into a $15 oil filter is like trying to sell someone swamp property in Florida. It's very hard for people to perceive the benefit of it. If you're lucky they're into extended drains or have way too much money burning a hole in their pocket and insist on the best regardless of price.

Very tough sell.

If folks read up and follow Terry's comments on the filter as well as TooSlick, TeeDub, and many others.....The filter is great for all types of situations. Run your 5 K oil and don't change the filter for 3 Oci's. Run 7.5 K and don't change the filter for 2 Oci's...thats conservetive 15K thinking. Run the 25K thinking, and run the numbers....simply priceless!

Some people like to drive to WalMart 8 times a year for cheap $4 filters wasting an hour or more each time. I like having my top of the line EaO delivered to the house once a year for $13 including shipping. Works for me.

If I ever ran one, I would do 2 or 3 OCIs with it. Its designed for longer drains and that puts it in the same price range per mile as $3-5 filters.

Quote:

If I ever ran one, I would do 2 or 3 OCIs with it. Its designed for longer drains and that puts it in the same price range per mile as $3-5 filters.

Sure ..and I would agree. Most people don't view stuff like that. Way too many people have the "cheap insurance" syndrome. They even spend extra money on cheap insurance and make it expensive ..as often as 3k miles.

Mainly, too many are creatures of irrational habits that they have no compelling reason to shake.

Been pondering again. Advantages of the type of filtering material used in those new-fangled expensive filters vice the papery stuff used in the el cheapo models.

Not using extended OCIs hereabouts, trending to 4-5 thousand intervals with synthetic oil.

Feel free to convince me to spend a few extra bucks for the new-fangled filters. Just might go that route.

Quote:

If folks read up and follow Terry's comments on the filter as well as TooSlick, TeeDub, and many others.....The filter is great for all types of situations. Run your 5 K oil and don't change the filter for 3 Oci's. Run 7.5 K and don't change the filter for 2 Oci's...thats conservetive 15K thinking. Run the 25K thinking, and run the numbers....simply priceless!

I totally agree. Going into my 4th oil change on the same filter, positively impacts cost per OC.
grin.gif

Obbop - You have to desire the better filtration level to have it make sense. If you can see no gain from that aspect, then it doesn't work out.

..but FWIW ..I feel you can do every other OCI for the filter in your situation regardless of which you choose.

My liver quivers with delight at the thought of removing as much of the suspended particulates as possible but I also want a decent flow through the filter.

Perhaps a diametrically opposite craving but..... excellent filtration with good to very good oil flow through the filtration medium would make me exquisitly happy. Bountifully so.

No intentions to skip a filter change while changing oil. Would rather pass up spending on a semi-luxury item (such as food for breakfast) so as to be able to change oil and filter in one fell swoop (still can't figure out what a "fell swoop" is).

With the above parameters in mind...... feel free to convince me in using the new-fangled filter and suggest what may possibly be the best brand. Would prefer an off-the-shelf filter but am amicable to purchasing on-line.

Personal experience(s) with fancy filters or accumulated knowledge from reliable sources nestled within thine oily mind more than welcomed!!!!!!

Appreciate any input.

/aware of search function but can be a tedious process and, heck, gotta keep fresh content on the site so folks have sumpthin' to do

In estimated terms ....

How much is the bottom-line cost of a single online-shipped Amsoil filter delivered to my door?

Are we looking at roughly $23.00?

Quote:

In estimated terms ....

How much is the bottom-line cost of a single online-shipped Amsoil filter delivered to my door?

Are we looking at roughly $23.00?

Tim knows where someone will sell you one for $13 shipped.

Here is the quote...

Quote:

I like having my top of the line EaO delivered to the house once a year for $13 including shipping.

Must be the price...
dunno.gif

I'll just have to risk it.. I guess driving 5 mins to my local Wal-mart and buying more than a single filter at a time is unheard of....

Bill
patriot.gif

Buying a singular filter of medium size (mass) and shipping (minimum) and state tax ends up in the low $20 range. Buying more filters or part of a larger order makes more sense.

My Walmart is 45-60 minutes one way and then I really didn't want a Walmart filter - so it makes less sense to me. We are all different and I don't think cheapest purchase price is best.

I know you guys are doing the usual wise cracking, but Tim was talking about his (or preferred customer) cost (dunno what size) and was not talking about minimum catalog order shipping.....I suppose..maybe Amsoil came out with the filters for the dealers to use.

laugh.gif
Yes, it's actually a filter with the dealers being the target consumers
laugh.gif

It's not a filter for everybody, but it fits into my scheme of things (18k with my wife's annual driving alone) ..and, due to my experience, I have no issues with leaving a filter on. None at all.

Obbop, since it would appear that your disposition is somewhat inflexible, intractable, and adamantine in this area..then I would suggest something like a PureOne for your needs. It's cheap enough and offers enough advantage over the $3 variety to warrant the added cost, imo. I would hope, however, that one day you boldly stride out from behind the shelter of such shields of security and brave the great frontier of the new age.

"Adamantine: In dentistry, relating to the enamel of the teeth.

Adamantine comes from the Greek and Latin word adamas which applied to substances having the hardness or luster of a diamond. Adamantine figuratively means unyielding and inflexible."

I prefer to consider me self as a canine vice a molar.

Woof

Rob,
I am presently going 5,000 miles between OCI's although it looks like I could go a bit longer. I like to be conservative especially due to the 208,000 on the Civic's engine. BTW, I dump the 3 qts of transmission fluid at each OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back