Amsoil EA038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this just a rebadged Wix filter for Nissan/Infiniti applications, or truly a superior filter?

Last edited:
It may be made by Wix ..but it's not a rebadged Wix filter. It's using the nanofiber media that is made with the process under licensed from Donaldson. The same process that is used for their SYNTEQ media.

So Amsoil sells a branded filter, made by another brand{wix}, using filter element technology by yet another filter maker{donaldson}? Geez, 3 different companies involved in a simple oil filter....doesnt seem to make alot of sense. Does Donaldson produce their own oil filters using their own synteq materials without going thru the nonsense of involving two other brands to get one to market?

Originally Posted By: qship1996
So Amsoil sells a branded filter, made by another brand{wix}, using filter element technology by yet another filter maker{donaldson}? Geez, 3 different companies involved in a simple oil filter....doesnt seem to make alot of sense. Does Donaldson produce their own oil filters using their own synteq materials without going thru the nonsense of involving two other brands to get one to market?

Looks like they do!

Here's the one for the Ford 302:

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10157&item=34304

Part #P169071

Donaldson doesn't have the distribution to sell automotive filters. They're a commercial fleet and industrial type company. When is the last time you saw a Donaldson filter ..with a Donaldson label? There's few places that you see a WIX with a WIX label. They're handled at one chain in the mid-west (meager's?). You can find rebadged Wix at NAPA and CarQuest.

It comes down the best media with the best niche distribution system.

The filters themselves are constructed at the most advantaged manufacture for the particular filter ..or so the big filter guy from Amsoil asserted. I'm sure a good number of them are built by WIX ..but I have yet to identify one that is built elsewhere.

The one SYNTEQ filter that Donaldson makes would hardly fill out any broad span of automotive market needs.

So how do you get SYNTEQ like media into the automotive market? You license the technology to a niche marketing concern.

I just looked up Donaldsons website, turns out they have a wide range of oil filters for most passanger cars.....and list places around the world where you can purchase them, wonder if they are priced lower than the Amsoil version???

You will not find automotive applications with the SYNTEQ media. The HD Ford V8 filter is used world wide.

Donaldson does make automotive filters ..absolutely.

Again, when is the last time you saw one on a shelf?? They're in the same class as Baldwin or Hastings. They may be available at an independent service center or independent auto parts store ..but no PB ..no AZ ...no AA ...or 99% of any other "chain" that you can think of.

..and when is the last time you bought from a truly "independent" parts house outside of being in BFE??

Go to the Donaldson site and punch in any automotive filter you please. Tell me when you see one that says "SYNTEQ" media as a secondary or alternative application.

All of these are Donaldson xref's of Ford filters

A - OD (Inches): 3.66
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 5.35
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 7-10
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: FORD, MOTORCRAFT FL1A
Substitution: P169071=Synthetic Media

PH3614

A - OD (Inches): 3
C - Length (Inches): 3.4
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.75
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.37
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 7-10
Primary Application: MOPAR L335, CHYRSLER, CLARK,
Primary Application 2: INTERCEPTOR MARINE

FL400S

A - OD (Inches): 3
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4 - 16
C - Length (Inches): 4.74
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.75
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.37
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 7 - 10
Primary Application: FORD E1FZ6731A, MOTORCRAFT
Primary Application 2: FL400

FL820S

A - OD (Inches): 3.67
B - Thread Size (Inches): M22 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 3.58
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 15
Primary Application: FORD LIGHT TRUCK

PH16

A - OD (Inches): 3.72
C - Length (Inches): 3.95
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.84
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.48
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 8-16
Primary Application: DODGE LIGHT TRUCK

I'm not sure ..but this isn't Ford

A - OD (Inches): 3.31
C - Length (Inches): 3.93
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.47
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.25
Primary Application: SUBARU, PINTO, DATSUN

This should be for a Honda

A - OD (Inches): 2.68
B - Thread Size (Inches): M20 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 2.56
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.56
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.19
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 11-17
Primary Application: NISSAN, MAZDA, MITSUBISHI

So ...there you have it. Find the synthetic media
21.gif

Last edited:
Ooops ...I found ONE other. The also make it in a Chevy thread.

P166564

LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW

Lube Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 3.73
B - Thread Size (Inches): 13/16-16
C - Length (Inches): 5.37
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 3.45
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 3
Primary Application: GM CAR & TRUCK
Application Note: SYNTEQ Media
Substitution: P550035-Standard Lube

Here's how they list the P550035

A - OD (Inches): 3.81
B - Thread Size (Inches): 13/16 - 16
C - Length (Inches): 5.12
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 3.38
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 3.04
Primary Application: GM, AC PF35
Substitution: P166564 Is Synthetic Media
Substitution 2: Version

So ..cross ref your filter ..and if you see Synthetic Media as the Substitute Application ..that will be a SYNTEQ offering.

Then find one near by ..and ask for a price.
55.gif

Woooo hooo!!! The domestic boys win one!!!

Those of us with antique 289, 302, 351W, 351C, 300 I6, 460...etc

and the GM boys with their 350, 327, 305, 283, 400...etc

We can get 'em!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!
grin2.gif

Only the Donaldson Endurance line of oil filters has the SYNTEQ media (nano-fiber) and none are for cars/light trucks, the other Donaldson filter do not have the media. Only Amsoil has it for the Automotive market.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Only the Donaldson Endurance line of oil filters has the SYNTEQ media (nano-fiber) and none are for cars/light trucks, the other Donaldson filter do not have the media. Only Amsoil has it for the Automotive market.

This was discussed recently by Gary and myself.

Donaldson does in fact make the filter (with the Synteq media) for two automotive applications:

The Ford and GM smallblocks (and Dodges that use the Ford filter).

I would assume this is because those filters are common on machinery other than automobiles.

They are also insanely expensive.

Donaldson has no distribution for the consumer automotive market and only a niche marketing model would ever be able to sell a filter of that caliber at any reasonable price. You're in BIG BOY country at a discount (hard to see it that way, I know).

It's almost the same for WIX ..but to a much lessor degree. Wix filters are only on a few store shelves. NAPA has them ..and one other ..otherwise it's indy or industrial/commercial distribution (fleetfilter's main stay)

The cooperative formed between all three makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
what are the part numbers, I can't find them in my info

Go back to the first page of this thread. They are listed on it.

I may check with my local International dealer and see if they carry them just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back