Amsoil DEO (prev formula) in modified '03 1.9L TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I think every box comes with a cat in it.

Until I get a by-pass filter and/or upgraded turbo, TBN and soot will be my limiting factors.

Old formula DEO with 5,700 miles / 108 hours on it.

D89563.gif

Was this latest uoa the old or new formula DEO? Looks kinda like the old looking at your previous comparison of voa.

So Bob, why did you switch? Run out of the old stuff and couldn't get any more? Do you really think the M1 0w40 will work as well? IMO there are three (3) Mobil products that are better: Delvac 1, M1 TDT, and M1 ESP Formula M. Maybe a fourth product if you count the ESP Formula 5w30 as a different product from the Formula M.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
So Bob, why did you switch? Run out of the old stuff and couldn't get any more? Do you really think the M1 0w40 will work as well? IMO there are three (3) Mobil products that are better: Delvac 1, M1 TDT, and M1 ESP Formula M. Maybe a fourth product if you count the ESP Formula 5w30 as a different product from the Formula M.

I could have used the new DEO, TDT or RTS, but due to short, cold trips, decided to try M1 0w40. It's still a highly regarded oil. Considering I do 10K mile intervals, I don't see this oil being any worse.

M1 0w40 meets MB 229.5, it can't be that bad of an oil.

Here's the background:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1707904

I saw that other thread after I posted here, where you showed the VOA results and asked for comments.

I do not think it is a bad oil, I just think Mobil makes better ones. But the 0w40 is widely available, and maybe it's an updated formulation. I wonder if there are older VOA's for comparison.

Do you really think the M1 0w40 will work as well? IMO there are three (3) Mobil products that are better: Delvac 1, M1 TDT, and M1 ESP Formula M. Maybe a fourth product if you count the ESP Formula 5w30 as a different product from the Formula M.

Is there even any point in asking for factual proof of that assertion? Better for what? They are for different applications. The ESPs are low SAPS for DPFs. Delvac 1 and TDT are for truck diesels, mainly. Does Delvac meet BMW LL01? No Does 0W40? Yes. Just for example.
In my X5 35D I use LL04 oil which is also MB 22951; NOT Delvac 1 ESP which is not LL04 and meets 228.31, not 229.5 or 229.51 or LL04. Etc. Different oils for different applications; not "one fits all".

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Do you really think the M1 0w40 will work as well? IMO there are three (3) Mobil products that are better: Delvac 1, M1 TDT, and M1 ESP Formula M. Maybe a fourth product if you count the ESP Formula 5w30 as a different product from the Formula M.

Is there even any point in asking for factual proof of that assertion? Better for what? They are for different applications. The ESPs are low SAPS for DPFs. Delvac 1 and TDT are for truck diesels, mainly. Does Delvac meet BMW LL01? No Does 0W40? Yes. Just for example.
In my X5 35D I use LL04 oil which is also MB 22951; NOT Delvac 1 ESP which is not LL04 and meets 228.31, not 229.5 or 229.51 or LL04. Etc. Different oils for different applications; not "one fits all".

Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck are designed for diesel engines, then marketed mainly to truck owners. But they are excellent oils for all diesel engines. The ESP versions are more friendly toward emissions systems, and hopefully still do an okay job of protecting engines.

Bob Fout has a VW TDI, not a MB or BMW.

Exactly my point. they do different things. It is fallacious to try to rank oils for different applications. Low SAPS oils, diesel oils, and an oil optimized for European high performance engines can't be ranked against each other. Personally, I woulld not use them interchangeably in the same engine. As my sig points out I have 4 oil applications in 5 vehicles and I don't even think about trying to find one oil that will work best in all.
The "apples and oranges" thing.
Why use an oil designed for American larger diesel engines when there's an oil the mfg specifically approves (not knowing the 50x #, I don't know which one, but M1 0W40 meets a lot of them)?

Charlie

Charlie, years of usage and data showing API oils perform very well in TDIs (and VW has blessed their usage in the older TDIs), the same or better than OEM spec oils due to greater additives, higher TBN and usually higher HT/HS. Look over my UOA history up to this point, all with Mobil or Amsoil truck 5w40s.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/mklinuxdude/UOA/

Truck 5w40s are much easier to obtain and can cost less.

If it was not for my change in commute, I would have stuck with an HDEO 5w40. I might even change back since many are thinner now at lower temp than before.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Exactly my point. they do different things. It is fallacious to try to rank oils for different applications. Low SAPS oils, diesel oils, and an oil optimized for European high performance engines can't be ranked against each other. Personally, I woulld not use them interchangeably in the same engine. As my sig points out I have 4 oil applications in 5 vehicles and I don't even think about trying to find one oil that will work best in all.
(snip)
Why use an oil designed for American larger diesel engines when there's an oil the mfg specifically approves (not knowing the 50x #, I don't know which one, but M1 0W40 meets a lot of them)?

Modern high-performance diesel engines are not that different from one another, no matter where they are designed or assembled.

VWoA tried to tell us with the 2004 MY TDIs that a special oil was required to protect the cams and lifters. But many owners who used oil that met that spec still had problems; then owners who switched to an API-rated oil like Delvac 1 and M1 TDT reported years of trouble-free driving. Now those CJ-4 rated oils have been reformulated to meet the demands of modern emissions systems. So the same diesel-rated oils used by pickups and heavy-duty trucks can work very well in high-revving German passenger cars.

Volkswagen TDI engines need the same kind of soot control, and the same kind of detergent and anti-wear additives, as Cummins and PowerStroke engines. And an entirely different kind of technology from the requirements of turbocharged gas engines.

I do agree with much of what's been said, and if I could get some I might even be tempted to try an ACEA E6 oil like Delvac 1 LE 5W30 in our X5 35d
http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxencvlmomobil_delvac_1_le_5w-30.pdf
However what got me excited was essentially putting the ESP Formula oils in the same bin as 0W40 and TDT. The ESP oils are "de-additivized" specifically for emission system protection. Whatever ashless components replace the Ca/Mg detergents and Zn/P are somewhat of a fascinating mystery to all of us. Actually the E6 D1 LE is sort of a truck version of the C3 oils:
P But for the time being I wouldn't chance running an ESP car oil in a vehicle that has no need for it, like the 01 BMW; that one gets 0W40 (remember where I live, it is parked outdoors).

Charlie

I know you are doing M1 0W-40 now, but you did buy the NEW 5W-40 DEO, or is my memory playing tricks? (I really want more examples of NEW DEO in TDI's, so I hoping you have the oil
48.gif
whistle.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I know you are doing M1 0W-40 now, but you did buy the NEW 5W-40 DEO, or is my memory playing tricks? (I really want more examples of NEW DEO in TDI's, so I hoping you have the oil
48.gif
whistle.gif
)

Yes, there are 15 quarts of new DEO back home in TN (I'm out of state for work until March).

Several of the midwest TDI "gurus" use DEO in their cars as well as customers' cars. One in particular sees hundreds of cars a year. Dunno if any do UOA though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back