AMSOIL DEO 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the AMSOIL meeting the last few days and seen what is coming done the pike as far as the new requirements are for 2007 engine emissions.
DEO 5W40 is the new oil AMSOIL has come out with to help meet the those requiremnets.
More info to come.

Don,

There has been an Amsoil MSDS for that product code for a number of years, although that product was an SAE 15w-40. I always thought they were playing around with an oil that would be sold under a private label by another company.

I'm not surprised it's going to be an SAE 5w-40, given the trends in the OTR truck and light duty diesel pickup markets. I expect the basestock blend to look like their original 5w-40 European oil in terms of viscometrics.

regards,

Ted

15.3CST @100C ??? MAYBE A TYPO IN THE TECH SHEET. SHOULD BE 13.5??

176 VI
226(439) FLASH PT
-44(-47) POUR PT
8.9 NOAK
.44 4BLL
8.0 TBN
4.2 HT/HS
.97 SULFATED ASH

Don,

With that HT/HS viscosity, I'd say 15.3 looks about right for an SAE 5w-40. For example, the AFL product is 13.7 Cst and the HT/HS is 3.7 Cp @ 150C. As I anticipated, this is a variation of the additive chemistry you first saw in the new "AFL" European oil.

If you do a VOA of this oil, you'll find the same level of calcium/magnesium as in their European formulation, but the zinc/phosphorus levels will be 20%-25% higher. I'd guess 950-1000 ppm of P and 1100-1200 ppm of zinc.

Note that ZDDP contributes about 10%-15% of the sulfated ash in a fully formulated engine oil, as well as some sulphur. So even though the CJ-4 spec allows 1200 ppm of phosphorus, you're going to see less in these new CJ-4 formulations. If you went with the max levels of ZDDP, you'd have to drop the Ca/Mg (TBN) even lower to meet the SA limit.

By the way, this should also be an excellent oil for older domestic gas engines or European engines requiring a 5w-40.

TS

The one thing we didn't hear is the price yet. That is to be anounce shortly.
All in all this was a very informative meeting.
Just wish this 54 year old brain could absorb it all.
frown.gif

Some of the things they explained made me feel better about the business.
We will be around a loonnnggg time.

AFL/5w-40:

13.7 Cst @ 100c
VI of 174
FP of +446F
PP of -44F
8.9%, Noack
.44 mm, Four Ball
8.0, TBN
3.7, HT/HS
sulfated ash < 0.8%, as per the low "SAPS", ACEA C3-04 specification

Ratio of kinematic viscosity to HT/HS viscosity:

AFL, 13.7/3.7 = 3.7
DEO, 15.3/4.2 = 3.64

I'd say pretty much the same basestock blend with a tad more polymeric thickener in the CJ-4 stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back