Amsoil Coolant - Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

Is Amsoil coolant safe to use in Mazda 3 ?
( Mazda is not speced. for FL22 )

So I Guess it should be Fine ?

Thx
Ndx

OF COURSE it's safe to use in a Mazda. Amsoil works in ANYTHING. Doesn't matter that there are dozens of different manufacturers, many requiring entirely different cooolant specifications- Amsoil MEETS OR EXCEEDS them all! Amazing how other companies can spend years and $$$$$ on research and development when Amsoil can just come along and trump them all with a single product. Truly incredible.

Personally, though... I'm surprised that Amsoil has bothered to come out with an antifreeze at all. 'Cause I've no doubt that their ATF meets or exceeds even antifreeze requirements. [censored], you could probably use it for motor oil, too; one fluid that does it all.

But given the considerable longevity (like VAG G12, G12+ and G12++) coolant, the cost per year is negligible. G12 costs $15 for 1.5L. Amsoil's coolant is on-par with that.

You would have to own the vehicle for 300k miles to make it worthwhile. Most folks don't flush or change their coolant over until either a water pump failure or 100k miles. It's an orphan product in their line-up. When I want PG coolant I go buy some Texaco EL from the Kenworth dealer down the road- $9/gallon
thumbsup2.gif

Preferred customer price is not that bad ..

I typically don't buy dealer OEM shelf coolants. Working with diverse fleets, monitoring coolant analysis results, and understanding the metallurgy of the systems helps one pick and additize a compatible coolant for most applications. Sometimes when you don't have all the information on the loop components you'll have to go with an OEM equivalent, but boy that is an expense that I enjoy avoiding when possible.

Any modern ELC EG or PG coolant that is silicate, phosphate, nitrite and ethanol/methanol free. There are dozens of possibilities, but I'd roll with the Chevron Delo Extended Life Coolant. Here's a link to the tech sheet...it meets or exceeds what this Mazda needs and is loaded with Carboylate inhibitors.

Delo ELC 50/50

Maybe the Mazda coolant is reasonably priced. I just priced the Toyota pink long life fluid from my local Toy dealer and was surprised to find out it's only $20.95 per gallon, not the $35 or $40 I thought it was.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Any modern ELC EG or PG coolant that is silicate, phosphate, nitrite and ethanol/methanol free. There are dozens of possibilities, but I'd roll with the Chevron Delo Extended Life Coolant. Here's a link to the tech sheet...it meets or exceeds what this Mazda needs and is loaded with Carboylate inhibitors.

Delo ELC 50/50

That looks pretty good. I do not remember ever seeing this in stores, however I don't tend to look at coolant. Is this available in stores?

Amsoil coolant will be fine in a Mazda 3.

Some people seem to have a mission to talk others out of Amsoil. I don't get it.

Use good products, use what you want to use.

depending on your build date, the car can either take mazda green long life, or FL-22, iirc that was the split year.

mazda long life green lists for US$21.58 and is concentrated
FL-22 lists for US$15.45 and is 55/45 premix

both in gallon only quantities.

Only for the albatross products! What gives
21.gif
I said Amsoil would be fine too, but the cost vs. performance does not balance when an acceptable high performance alternative exists. It would be like recommending amsoil gas stabilizer, yup it's a contract manufactured Amsoil product, but is it really that much better than the alternative? Or shall I talk about the discontinued bright side Rain X product? This site is about sharing knowledge...I tried to do that.

Sorry for the delay. Essentially you can look at farm and fleet stores or go to a truck stop. Other than that a sure bet would be to stop by a heavy equipment dealer (CAT, Kenworth...etc.). Cost/gallon will be quite low.

Was I talking to you?

Not really - but you have responded, what 4 times to talk someone out of something when they merely asked if it would be OK - sure you said "fine"....BUT...

I have no problem with you discussing the merits of the product, but Ndx knows the price....it's not what he asked. Is there some real problem with him using Amsoil coolant?

My only problem is that this will be a searchable "archive" for other users of specialty ELC's who might not be in the same financial position. If so they need to know that there is a technical reason that they can use something else with confidence and not worry. I use and recommend Amsoil products all over this board when the situation makes sense to do so...I am not biased for anything other than optimal for specific situations. If price isn't an optimization constraint then you are free to use anything you want- as I stated to the OP on my last post prior to being asked what else exists. Most folks don't understand coolant chemistry (quite frankly because it's confusing) so the more that we can enlighten them outside of the black box the better they will be at making personal choices as consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back