Amsoil changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have run out of GC and am not positive on the new Gold. Want to go back to Amsoil but have been reading that the new stuff has been reformulated and is now thinner than M1? A search of the forums, with the new software, is not turning up any new posts on the newly formulated Amsoil.

Anyone with any updated info on Amsoil??
dunno.gif

The Series 2000 0w-30, 10w-30 (ATM), and 5w-30 (ASL) have all had a lowering of viscosity from the 11 area of cst to the 10 cst area.

Have not seen any complaints from the users though. And the UOA's have been great.

Amsoil did reformulate. Thinner by a bit and no usage thickening.

But also M1 reformulated and is thicker by a bit. No data on usage thickening, but there was one suspicious UOA recently.

What does this mean to the Amsoil user? Better oil IMHO. New base oil and new additive package and a whole new formula.

We do not know if Amsoil is using any new base oil. They are more on the lower end of the 30wt scale (10.3 cst). They are using more Boron in the 5w-30/10w-30 viscosities. The 0w-30 additive package looks the same.

Regular Mobil 1 is a bit thicker. The M1 EP is now GF-4/SM rated. 5w-20 M1 EP is on the way for 2007.

Quote:

Amsoil did reformulate. Thinner by a bit and no usage thickening.

But also M1 reformulated and is thicker by a bit. No data on usage thickening, but there was one suspicious UOA recently.

What does this mean to the Amsoil user? Better oil IMHO. New base oil and new additive package and a whole new formula.

So does this mean across the board Pablo or just certain formulations?
Thanks

Sorry for being unclear - I was agreeing with the Tyrant:

"The Series 2000 0w-30, 10w-30 (ATM), and 5w-30 (ASL)..."

have been reformulated in the last year or so.

So to answer your question, no there hasn't been a general across the board reformulation, only the usual Amsoil tweaking for improvement and the three solid reformulations mentioned.

Why are you so worried about amsoil thining a bit? It will protect just as well as before maybe better. Oil companies will always reformulate thier product. Either because of better protection or to increase profit margin. Or supply may be a bit low. But no matter what with today's standard you are going to get a good oil.

Okay then, Amsoil has reformulated but apparently it is an ongoing process with all manufacturers. So it really comes back down to what formula I want. Money being no object, it would appear the series 2000 ow-30 is the one to use. If money is of some concern then 5W-30.
Is that it in a nutshell?

OBTW, thanks for all you do here Pablo. I am a preferred customer, was a dealer for a while and I can't come close to making the case for Amsoil that you do.

I would match the oil to the car, the usage and the OCI. I usually have a hard time justifying S2K 0w-30 for customers. In most all cases the 5W-30 ASL or 10W-30 ATM is the ticket. Tell me the details and there may be a better fit. Thanks.
cheers.gif

Quote:

I would match the oil to the car, the usage and the OCI. I usually have a hard time justifying S2K 0w-30 for customers. In most all cases the 5W-30 ASL or 10W-30 ATM is the ticket. Tell me the details and there may be a better fit. Thanks.
cheers.gif

1st car-2005 Corvette C6, no longer a daily driver but starting to add minor performance enhancers. I.E. still around 400HP but now breathes better and has had a performance tune. Still under warranty. Should have GM4718 but I have been running GC. This is the car that really needs good protection. Already using an Ea oil filter. Air filter is aftermarket, no amsoil filter fits. Using 7500 miles or yearly, whichever comes first.

2nd car-2005 Nissan Murano, daily driver but mileage varies daily. Still under warranty. This one I'm not worried about. This one will get oil about every 5-7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back