Amsoil BMK30 and EaBP-120 too big for 6.0L Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven

I recently acquired the BMK30/EaBP120 combo for a price that was too good to pass up, I'd like to use it on my 6.0L Powerstroke. Other than finding a suitable place to mount the beast is there any problem running such a large system on a pickup truck?

Never seen bypass on smaller vehicles before? Many of my friends and co-workers run bypass on their commuters, gas and diesel, cars and trucks. There's probably hundreds on here that run bypass on their personal vehicles. Benefits carry over to all motors, not just OTR. Clean oil is especially important on a HEUI engine like mine.

Clean oil as in extending the oil change intervals greatly? Clean oil isn't concern in the life or operation in the Powerstroke engines that cause the owners to hate their choice of engines. I played with a bypass on my car in the 70s and found it not worthwhile in any way. Though every class 8 diesel truck I worked on had a bypass filter, but they ran high miles between oil changes.

The only drawback is the volume of oil it adds to the system, which becomes expensive on short OCIs. I had the same issue with my GCF.

If you mount it somewhere near the center of the truck, you can get pre-made hydraulic hoses with NPT ends fitted that are pretty durable. I've used 1/4 inch and now 3/8 inch hydraulic hose for many miles...the 1/4 inch was in service over 100k alone.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
The only drawback is the volume of oil it adds to the system, which becomes expensive on short OCIs. I had the same issue with my GCF.

If you mount it somewhere near the center of the truck, you can get pre-made hydraulic hoses with NPT ends fitted that are pretty durable. I've used 1/4 inch and now 3/8 inch hydraulic hose for many miles...the 1/4 inch was in service over 100k alone.

A bypass filter and short oil change intervals is of little value and much cost. If the bypass filter cleans up the oil enough "if the oil holds up" to double or triple or more the oil change interval then lets talk otherwise the filter isn't a deal.

My intervals will be dictated by analysis. I have every confidence my lubricant selection alone will allow for greater OCI's, even without bypass. However, my primary objective is to keep the HEUI injectors alive and fed with oil cleaner than the full flow filtration system can give. Clean oil is directly proportional the the performance and longevity of that injector type. I'll install it soon and post results.

There should be no problem running a large system on your truck.
You might need to use a smaller orifice to prevent excessive flow through the bypass.
The filter does not need to be changed at every OCI. When flow stops, replace it.

Originally Posted By: Ven
I recently acquired the BMK30/EaBP120 combo for a price that was too good to pass up, I'd like to use it on my 6.0L Powerstroke. Other than finding a suitable place to mount the beast is there any problem running such a large system on a pickup truck?
I like to ask, why wouldn't you?

The EABP120 is a big filter, I think it would serve a 6.0 well, provided you plumb it properly. They guys over at NUC Motorsports are very helpful. They sell a billet aluminum cap for the 6.0 that would help a lot. http://www.nucmotorsports.com/parts.html

Ven,
DO IT! The 6.0 benefits from cleaner oil greatly. Increased injector life, LPOP & HPOP life. I have a elite diesel kit on my 03 6.0. with dual remote bypass filters and draining the HPOP, I get 19qts out.
PS. Don't forget to install a coolant filter.
Dusty

Last edited:
This thread is a year and a half old. I'm betting that Ven has either installed it or done something else by now.

Ok... I realize this is a really old thread.
What size is the orifice in the BMK30
Does anyone know if the BMK 30 has an orifice that can be changed out to get a smaller or bigger size?
I am thinking of putting one on a truck.

I have gotten rather partial to the FS2500 bypass filter setup, primarily because it includes every thing you need for a total, clean install on the vehicle. Not every vehicle, but the ones they have worked up the kits for, and the Powerstroke, Cummins, and Dmax pickups have kits already worked up.

I get them for my commercial trucks, and I can have one installed in about an hour. All lines precut and crimped, all fittings I need, everything ready to go right out of the box. About as close to "plug and play" as one can get with a bypass filter setup.

And with modern diesel trying to eat their own feces, filtering out the increased soot loading going on in these engines is always a good thing. CJ-4 oils, as good as they are in dealing with soot, can always use a helping hand.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Clean oil as in extending the oil change intervals greatly? Clean oil isn't concern in the life or operation in the Powerstroke engines that cause the owners to hate their choice of engines. I played with a bypass on my car in the 70s and found it not worthwhile in any way. Though every class 8 diesel truck I worked on had a bypass filter, but they ran high miles between oil changes.

why should anyone listen to you on something you did in the 70's .... Lol.

small diesel pickups are a fantastic application for bypass filtration, particularly amsoil units as they remove so much soot from the oil... soot concentrations have linear correlation to engine wear.

Originally Posted By: horsinaround
Ok... I realize this is a really old thread.
What size is the orifice in the BMK30
Does anyone know if the BMK 30 has an orifice that can be changed out to get a smaller or bigger size?
I am thinking of putting one on a truck.

Either .30 or .32 in I can't remember

Did you end up installing the BMK30 Bypass filter on your truck? If so, have you had any problems with such a large filter on your pickup?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Ven

The EaBP120 has a large orifice, can't remember but .070"-090". You'll need to change that out to a .032" for the 6.0 L. I installed the a Amsoil Dual Guard on my 6.4 and reduced the orifice from .070" to .032". I emailed the engineers at Amsoil and that's the size of orifice they recommended. The EaBp120 is a great filter.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back