Amsoil BMK-11/ 21 w/Perma-Cool sandwich adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Amsoil BMK-11/BMK-21 bypass filter kit that I’m considering using with a Perma-cool sandwich adapter on a 1.5L Honda engine. I have several questions:

1) Will the approximate 1/4” port with spring loaded ball bearing allow ample oil flow to entire engine at all times?

2) The Amsoil Bypass filter mount assembly comes with a brass bushing with an approximate 1/16” hole in it. All the oil returning from the bypass filter to engine must pass through this very small hole. Should this restrictor bushing be left in place when using bypass setup with the Perma-cool sandwich adapter?

3) Do answers to questions 1 & 2 also apply to a larger 4L, v6 Toyota Truck engine?

4) Anyone seen any UOA’s using this setup ( BMK-11 or 21 with Perma-cool sandwich adapter)?

Thanks

1) Probably.

It amazed me too. I said "How in the heck can all that flow squeeze through that port?"

In all but high volume setups, the oil does literally squeeze through there. The port isn't like an extended tube of the same equivalent diameter "from there on out". It's a point of acceleration. If you do see attenuated pressure, drilling of the SMALLEST (REPEAT: SMALLEST - SMALLEST- SMALLEST) of holes corrects the problem.

2) The Permacool will maintain 2PSID across anything attached to the ports (within the qualifications/terms/conditions mentioned in #1). The restrictor is not necessary. The sandwich is self regulating. You're not discharging into a ZERO pressure environment.

3) They apply to any engine (w/ terms and conditions mentioned in #1&#2 taken into account).

4) Not that I recall.

The use of a Permacool sandwich is an often used method of cleanly installing a MG/Frantz or any other bypass filter. The adaptation of Amsoil products isn't as common since the accessory list is fairly good for alternative points of return.

That is, the Permacool doesn't care what's on the other end of it. The filter, be it MG, Frantz, or any other bypass filter doesn't care either.

The advantage of this setup is the simplicity in installation. No tee fittings ..no special caps ..no tapped pans. Just some hose barbs and some hose, To convert back to normal, just take off your filter ..take off your Permacool sandwich ..and put your filter back on.

This ORB (O-ring-boss) fitting will allow you to use hose barbs on both ends. You can always go fancy if you want.
6405-2T.jpg

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll give it a try on the Honda first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back