Amsoil Blend 15W/40 vs. Rotella T Synthetic 5W/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find out which of these two oils would be best. I can find the Rotella T Synthetic locally and order the Amsoil from a site sponsor. With a preferred membership, the Amsoil can be had for $61.60 for (2) 2.5 Gallon Jugs. The Rotella T Syn can be had for $13/gallon. With tax and shipping, the price differences between the two are less than $0.50. No Pep Boys in the area, so the 1/2 price special for M1 is out of the question. Michael [ March 15, 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

it doesn't seem like anyone uses amsoil's synthetic blend. i have used it for this winter and have about 6500 miles on it in my 95 powerstroke. at 7000 i plan on sending it in for analysis and will go from there. i'm hoping i found a good oil in this stuff. my reason for using it is the 15w40 synthetic, while it worked great for cold starts, would leak out of my oil-dip stick tube at about a gallon a weak. i tryed to reseal it, but the nut was rusted on. i switched to the blend it doesn't leak to much anymore. i have only plugged the truck in a handle full of times this winter (with a lot of cold starts), so this is kinda a torture test for this oil, we'll see how it does.

With prices so close, it's a toss-up. I'm partial to 15w-40's, so my vote is for the Amsoil. [Smile] I have some of that Amsoil blend in my shed, can do a VOA if there's interest in seeing it...

i'd love to see a VOA of this oil. the only reason i haven't done it is i can't justify it to the wife (read wallet). she allows my oil sample every now and then but i can't get crazy, we're trying to buy a house.

I believe the additive chemistry of PCO is very similar to the HD diesel and Marine oil. I'd use the latter since it's not that much more. TS

Michael, I just noted you have a Saturn - I would not recommend running the Amsoil 15w-40 in this application. It's too thick to properly lube the timing chain on this engine. I'd stick with a 0w-30 or 5w-30, regardless of what brand you use. The Amsoil 15w-40 is excellent for older, low revving, domestic pushrod engines. But it's not intended for an application like this one. TS

TooSlick, There's 2 Michaels with Saturns in this thread! [Smile] I'm familiar with the small oil passages for timing chain lubrication. I hope it's not detrimental as I have lots of 15w-40 LL and Delo400 on hand. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by jarmstrong: it doesn't seem like anyone uses amsoil's synthetic blend.
I have a 1991 VW Jetta 1.6 Diesel with 249k miles. I use Amsoil full synthetic 15w-40. But I've started using Amsoil synthetic blend 15w-40 to "top off". My valve cover leaks (I plan to replace it when I change the timing belt). And the engine probably uses a little oil too. So for now it's cheaper to use the blend for "make up oil" than the full synthetic. The price difference is really quite small. $0.75 per quart if you buy a case of 12 quarts. $0.84 per quart if you buy a case of four, 1 gallon bottles. $0.71 per quart if you buy a case of two, 2.5 gallon bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.