amsoil avaliablity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please dont see this as an attack on Amsoil product nor its company but is there a reason why they dont have factory fill in any vehicle, or its rare avaliability in dealerships?

As with any product, it takes someone to sell it to them. There are some ambitious dealers who are doing that.

Amsoil is not that big a company (compared to Mobil etc), they only have one manufacturing plant in Superior, Wisconsin and the demand for their products has them fighting to keep up.

But a fact of life is that people will spend a lot of money to buy a new vehicle but nickle and dime on the maintenance costs. To many people, oil is just a necessary nuisance and they could care less what the dealer sells or puts in their engine. I know a lady that has a 2003 H2 Hummer, (from same as dealer Brett Farve did) and she drives it 300 miles to the dealer for them to service it. Gives her an excuse to go shopping in Green Bay. She said she had no idea what oil they put in and does not' care.

[ January 14, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

This also begs the question why would they want to be factory fill? The fame of it all?
I mean we have all heard of companies that have sold out on quality to become bigger and have gone downhill quality wise afterwards.

They claim they are the largest independant marketer of synthetics, but that is miniscule compared to any large oil company.

Good question, because some people try to say, "well if Amsoil were really great, it would be a factory fill oil" and not even realize that factory fill oils are overated at best (calm down, M1 is good!), almost free to the factory and more importantly now actually PAY the automakers to be in their manuals, etc.

It's all about the $. I'm sure if Amsoil could see a return and had the huge megabux they would go factory fill as well. But it has zero to do with quality.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
It's all about the $. I'm sure if Amsoil could see a return and had the huge megabux they would go factory fill as well. But it has zero to do with quality.

I have no doubt that Amsoil is an excellent product, but the number of whackos that peddled the stuff in the past has to have hurt their reputation as a serious business.

The more obnoxious Amsoil sales 'droids of the past don't seem to be around anymore. Did Amsoil tighten up their dealer standards over the past few years?

I have noticed that **** in Falls Church is on this board. Back in the early internet days **** really stood out in the old time group of Amsoil salesmen. **** was always a gentleman, helpful, informative and not a BS'er. IIRC, **** was a fixture on the BBS systems before WWW.

Yep, **** is definitely a great representitive for Amsoil! I remember him from 1996 when I first joined on the internet, and saw his posts in the newsgroups. Instead of pushing Amsoil and nothing else, **** always mentioned other products and their good qualities too. This immediately impressed me about him, since I was an Amsoil dealer in the past too, so I ran into a lot of dealers who would do nothing but spew out nonsense. I was definitely glad to see **** join us on this board, and hope he continues to post (and I wish he would post more often, he's got a lot of good knowledge!)

up until about 4 years ago Amsoil only made extended drain lubes most factory fill or dealerships wouldn't touch the stuff, one it was too expensive and the other dealerships said it would void the warranty's becuase of the extended drains.

Since the Amsoil XL7500 came out you are seeing more Amsoil in dealerships, I know of at least 2 Ford Dealerships that carry Amsoil and 1 honda shop. The 5w20 is a good seller at those locations.

To admit it does take some expertise to sell the product. From the higher price(than mobil 1, to the fear of extended drains) Face to face is really the only way the product will sell.

I think it is catching on more and more, with the retail program where dealers set up retail establishments to sell the products for them, more and more people don't have to go to someones garage(BTW I have NO AMSOIL in my garage)

Hope this answers some of the questions

Per the Sparksmeister:

quote:

Since the Amsoil XL7500 came out you are seeing more Amsoil in dealerships

Thanks for making my point MS. It takes an inferior product to get into the bus....

Yes **** is good. He's my DJ! But **** got on the Bandwagon way early. Lucky guy now. He struggled early as we all do.

quote:

Face to face is really the only way the product will sell.

You nailed it, and that's the reason I suck at sales. Maybe the fact that my "real job" takes 12 hours a day helps too
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I think it is catching on more and more, with the retail program where dealers set up retail establishments to sell the products for them, more and more people don't have to go to someones garage(BTW I have NO AMSOIL in my garage)Hope this answers some of the questions

You know, I always wondered why I have never seen a true retail outlet for Amosil products and actually have considered looking into the feasibility of it. However, you have got to sell one humungous amount of product just to pay the rent on a retail store front never mind ins. etc. to break even. If you have seen a store front Amsoil shop, not a part of a garage, independent mechanic, quick lube etc. where have you seen it???? I don't mean a NAPA store or AutoZOne etc but an Amsoil only retail store? Seems like setting up your own quick lube using Amosil as well as selling it to the do it your selfers as well as sining up as many independents, quick lubes etc. may be the ideal marketing plan?

[ January 15, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
You know, I always wondered why I have never seen a true retail outlet for Amosil products and actually have considered looking into the feasibility of it. However, you have got to sell one humungous amount of product just to pay the rent on a retail store front never mind ins. etc. to break even. If you have seen a store front Amsoil shop, not a part of a garage, independent mechanic, quick lube etc. where have you seen it???? [/QB]

Sorry if I confused you, I've never seen an Amsoil only retail establishment. By Retail, I'm mean the dealer sets up shops like the NAPA, quick lubes, and other stores to carry the product. This is what really ligitamizes the product. warehousing in your garage does not, I would never do this and if I had to I would not be a dealer.

To be honest, most of my income comes from my retail accounts, they are out there, just had an order for 8 cases of XL7500 and 6 cases of PI!!!

-

P.I. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

Ideal for both fuel injected and carbureted systems. Dissolves and removes fuel system deposits and other contaminants for improved power and overall performance in gasoline engines. Reduces PCV and EGR system deposits. Reduces exhaust emissions (tests show up to 90 percent reduction). Improves engine idle, response and starting.

An initial clean-up dose of six ounces for ten gallons of gasoline restores up to 95 percent of an injector's original fuel flow. Periodic maintenance doses of one ounce for ten gallons of gasoline keep injectors and other fuel system components clean. Product Code: API

Performance Features
  • Cleans fuel injectors, intake valves and
  • carburetors
  • Dissolves carbon and varnish deposits
  • Contains properties to control rust and friction
  • Reduces exhaust emissions
  • Increases fuel economy

From what I have observed, some dealers are "inheriting" the business from parents. Mom & Dad may have really known the in's & out's of the products... however, the kids that took over just want to collect the checks. No idea of how or why things do what they do. It's just another way to get a monthly income for some.

Kind of dumb sounding but, they just do not seem to have the passion for synthetic oil.

Cheers, Doug

>>>You know, I always wondered why I have never seen a true retail outlet for Amosil products and actually have considered looking into the feasibility of it.

As I recall, this was tried about 20 years ago in the St Louis area. Didn't make it. Got to move a lot of product to meet the nut (taxes, rent, utilities, taxes, advertising, insurance, labor, taxes--and did I mention taxes? And 20 years ago, who even heard of synthetic oil except a few nuts??

There are more (independently owned) quick lubes providing AMSOIL.

Far as kids inheriting the business, there is, like in all things, a mix. I know a couple of dealers who ended up with a business their folks got going. They are very knowledgeable, and quite successful. I also know a couple of the other kind. I also know some widows who didn't really know much about the business before their husband died. At least some of them became very savvy very rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back