Amsoil ATM 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got some ATM 10W-30 to run in my Buick 3.8L.

I'm pleased with M1, but I can't let well enough alone.

We'll see how it goes.

Any ATM impressions good or bad??

I drained my ATM 10w-30 from my 4.7 Dakota yesterday. I ran it 16,000 miles and never had any problems.

Based on Tooslick's advice as well as the Amsoil tech, I upgraded to Series 3000 5w-30. My truck really likes the S 3000.

Bill,

Been running the 10W30 since new on my 2000 Buick GSE SC. Now has 58,000 miles and I have been going 10-12,000 between oil and filter changes. UOA great, copper is coming down which is common in these engines. Last time and in the future I added some Schaeffer's # 132 and Lube Control and the UOA was the best ever. About 8 ounces of the mix, 6 of #132 and 2 of LC.

The 10W does fine in these engines I would not go to the series 2000 or 3000, these engines do not need it IMO.

It's a very good oil, comparable to Mobil 1 10w-30, but thicker. 10.0 cSt vs 11.9 cSt.

Right now I think ATM/ASL are their best oils for the $ and quite possibly their best oils among all of them.

[ April 18, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Yeah, cause it's hard enough for us to convince people to pay $5.85 a quart...it's even harder to convince them to pay more.

I use the ATM 10w-30 in the Nissan 2.4L. The UOA on it was much better than the ASL 5w-30 and the engine ran smoother. This engine is a known oil abuser.

Thanks for all the great info, guys. That's what I was looking for.

I'm going to compare it to my current M1 to see if this engine likes a little bit more viscosity or not. I doubt it.

This engine is pretty easy on oil, so I thought I might get a tad better drain interval without using any additives.

Spector, what filter are you using?

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:
I use the ATM 10w-30 in the Nissan 2.4L. The UOA on it was much better than the ASL 5w-30 and the engine ran smoother. This engine is a known oil abuser.

This is suprising to me. The ASL 5w-30 and ATM 10w-30 are basically the same oil (except for low temp properties) and both have low NOAK and 11.9 cst at 100 degrees. What would account for the better results? Is the stability of the ATM that much better than the ASL?

Yes they are identical. It most likely was from a reformulation change between oil changes that could have caused this. They are essentially the same oil.

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
This is suprising to me. The ASL 5w-30 and ATM 10w-30 are basically the same oil (except for low temp properties) and both have low NOAK and 11.9 cst at 100 degrees. What would account for the better results? Is the stability of the ATM that much better than the ASL?
Nick,

The ATM 10w-30 was purchased in October 2002. The wear #s for iron and lead were 13 ppm and 5 ppm versus 26 and 11 for the ASL 5w-30. The ASL 5w-30 also thicken to a 40 weight according to Blackstone Labs. The KA24DE does not like 5w of any flavor and the butt dyno/smoothness of the engine running told me that before the UOA. The results speak for themselves. I will send my 2k Maxima with a 9 month interval using ASL 5w-30 and verify that it is just a quirk of the Nissan 4 cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back