Amsoil ATF in a 2011 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend bought a 2011 Hyundai Accent on July 14th.
Car has 1.6l engine and 4 speeds auto tranny.
So far she did 2400 miles with the car.

As we live in Canada, I'd like to put Amsoil ATF because she did almost short city trip and that ambient temp get very low during winter time.

I am wondering if dealer would void warranty if we don't used SP-III fluid. I was planning to get the tranny oil change at dealer and to bring fluid at the dealer.

What are your thought about this?

First of all, how would the dealer even know that you have Amsoil in the tranny? It's not like they secretly send off a sample to get it analyzed whenever you bring the car in for a car wash.

Besides, why are you dumping the OEM tranny fluid after only 2,400 miles? That lube is good to go for at least 3-5 years or 60,000 miles.

Save the coin and use it later.

Well, it only has 2400 miles on the drivetrain. Probably ready for an oil/filter change but not the tranny. OK, just my opinion! The short trips are hard(er) on the oil and not so much with the ATF, if at all
smile.gif

Wait a year or so before changing the ATF and then go to Amsoil. Don't start shoveling out your money already, JMO! Let the thing break in!

I don't think that using Amsoil will void the warranty but, you will have to check. Hyundai SPIII is pretty good stuff!

Last edited:
Give it a least a year, I waited until around the 30000 kilometer mark on my kia to change the fluid, it was turning dark at this point, but still shifted fine, at around the 50 k mark i did a total flush with maxlife, and i did notice a improved shift quality. Just my opinion.

I would wait for 20k miles to let all of the wear in particles get suspended in the fluid you are about to drain, not in the amsoil atf.

Originally Posted By: Benoit
My girlfriend bought a 2011 Hyundai Accent on July 14th.
Car has 1.6l engine and 4 speeds auto tranny.
So far she did 2400 miles with the car.

As we live in Canada, I'd like to put Amsoil ATF because she did almost short city trip and that ambient temp get very low during winter time.

I am wondering if dealer would void warranty if we don't used SP-III fluid. I was planning to get the tranny oil change at dealer and to bring fluid at the dealer.

What are your thought about this?

The dealer wont sent off a sample if you bring it in for brakes tires or anything except a transmission problem.

If you do bring it in for anything related to the transmission they will send off a sample to be tested.

Genuine SPIII fluid has a marker in it they look for.

Will other fluids work great... yes.

will hyundai warranty your transmission with other fluids in it... no.

I'm assuming that takes spIII, I know they have a couple more exotic fluids out there now also but the 2011 hyundai is about the same as the 2010 that my gf has.

That car should have a transmission drain plug and no serviceable filter.

If it makes you feel better you can always drain and fill.. every other oil change or so.
should be about 2.5-3qts per drain and fill.

Last edited:
I just did a drain and fill on my trans in my 2009 Santa Fe with 17k miles. There was a brown tinge to the drained fluid and quite a bit of gunk on the magnetic drain plug. I used Hyundai SP3 for the fill, took just over 5 qts. The trans oil level was tough to get right, took me a couple days of driving to heat the oil and get it right on the top full mark where it was before I drained it.

Last edited:
The one thing I would do is add an inline transmission filter. I can't remember the researcher, but a guy who has spent most of his professional career researching transmission filtering/life/etc, has said the best time to add a real trans filter is within 5000 miles. I think he has said something like 70% of all transmission particles occur within the first 20,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
The one thing I would do is add an inline transmission filter. I can't remember the researcher, but a guy who has spent most of his professional career researching transmission filtering/life/etc, has said the best time to add a real trans filter is within 5000 miles. I think he has said something like 70% of all transmission particles occur within the first 20,000 miles.

I would tend to agree, but with shady dealers (at least by me) I would do no modifications and no way to weasel out of the 10y/100k warranty.

Definition of weasel:
Overdrive not working on transmission. Problem is short in overdrive button wiring.. THATS ELECTRICAL SO NOT COVERED BY 10y100k warranty?!??!?!
Wanted 400$ to fix..

I fixed it for 1$.. there was no overdrive disable button anymore but I dont think it was ever used ever... that I know about.

(this was on a previous 2001 accent)

Oh and make sure you get the timing belt changed. I told my gf to pony up the 500$... I told her about monthly.. Belt blew up and took out a piston and 2 valves.... 1700dollar and 1 month downtime. The interval on that one was 60k miles. Havent checked on the new ones yet.

On the good side.. oil is easy to change.. trans fluid is easy to drain and fill.. Spark plugs are EXTREMELY easy to change.(recommend 30-50k miles or 3-4 year) so they dont rust into place.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hyundai SPIII is pretty good stuff!

I would have to disagree. If you look at the UOA section, you will see that it shears down very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back