Amsoil ATF = Chrysler ATF+4 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit to not being an expert on ATF, but I am having trouble understanding how Amsoil can meet so many requirements, i.e., Dextron, Chrysler, Ford, etc. I have been looking into a synthetic to replace the AFT+4 in my daugther's Jeep and can get the Amsoil locally. I am nervous about using it though because reading this forum indicates that the ATF+4 is somewhat different than other ATF's yet the Amsoil is supposed to meet this requirement. Am I better off with the Redline?

Isn't the Redline somewhat of a universal product as well? Certainly not approved.

The bottom line is that yes these fluids are slightly different - but they are not grossly different. A good synthetic base ATF, with synthetic additives can excel over purpose made (read problem fix) ATF's.

Quote:

Isn't the Redline somewhat of a universal product as well? Certainly not approved.

Not approved, but not a universal fluid, either. Redline does make a specific fluid they have engineered for Chrysler ATF+3 and ATF+4 applications. It's called C+.

I have a number of customers running the Amsoil ATF in DC applications (Jeeps,Caravans,diesel trucks) and it works fine. If the guys are Redline are also recommending their synthetic ATF for this application, I wouldn't have any issues running that either.

Making a multi vehicle ATF isn't all that complicated, in fact I believe Mobil has a petroleum based ATF that also meets these various specs.

TS

Quote:

Making a multi vehicle ATF isn't all that complicated, in fact I believe Mobil has a petroleum based ATF that also meets these various specs.

Meets some, "recommended for" others: most notably Chrysler applications.

If for the transfer case, most any ATF should be OK. Most transfer cases are nothng more than a chaincase, meaning that frictional characteristics aren't important, right?

Quote:

If for the transfer case, most any ATF should be OK. Most transfer cases are nothng more than a chaincase, meaning that frictional characteristics aren't important, right?

I'd use a full synthetic for the transfer case. Amsoil or Redline C+, either one would be a good choice.

Quote:

Would that not then be as good as Amsoil?

For use in the transfer case, I'd choose the Amsoil ATF over ATF+4. For use in a Chrysler auto transmission, I'd choose a licensed ATF+4.

Went to buy the Amsoil tonight and almost passed out when I got the prices, almost $18 for a quart of 75W140 for the differential and almost $10 for the ATF. I bought the Redline instead and kept the $32 difference for my daughter.

Why didn't you contact a site sponsor? I don't even charge for shipping and you'll have your stuff in two days or so.

Those are ripoff prices. Who was selling above suggested retail?

How much was the Redline?

Quote:

Went to buy the Amsoil tonight and almost passed out when I got the prices, almost $18 for a quart of 75W140 for the differential and almost $10 for the ATF. I bought the Redline instead and kept the $32 difference for my daughter.

Someone was trying to rip you a new one.
shocked.gif
Full retail price on the website is $8.80 for the ATF and $13.50 for the gear lube. Preferred customer price ~%20 lower than that! If you order from Pablo you get free shipping...
cheers.gif

The Redline should be good.

Quote:

Yeah, if you'd given me Redline as a choice earlier for the transfer case, I would have picked that.
wink.gif

Seriously, since Redline blends their C+ ATF to the exact friction requirements for Chrysler transmissions, I'd be more comfortable using it in a Chrysler tranny than the Amsoil universal. For the transfer case, either one would be fine, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back