Amsoil ATF changed recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have sworn that the 100C cSt of Amsoil ATF was 6.8. I just looked and it is now listed as 7.6. Is my memory even worse than I thought, or was the formulation tweaked recently?

Rumple

The MSDS still says 6.75
21.gif

It was, it has... rumour floating around hinting at a thinner 5.5-6-6cst universal ATF for d6/ws/sp/lv/nag transmissions.

If Amsoil is listening. Thank you for the MTF, MTG, PSF, BF......

Feel free to produce a 75w85 MTFG GL4 fluid and even some GL5 85 and 90wt gear oils for 'manuals'.

I also think that Redline and Royalpurple have a few holes in their product lineup. More choices please. We know that you're spying.

That would make sense. It seems that the current Amsoil ATF has been tweaked slightly thicker to move it more squarely in the Mercon V/Dexron III/Toyota IV space which would allow a new thinner Amsoil fluid to cover the Dexron VI/Toyota WS space, much like the Redline D4/D6 coverage split.

Rumple

Originally Posted By: unDummy
It was, it has... rumour floating around hinting at a thinner 5.5-6-6cst universal ATF for d6/ws/sp/lv/nag transmissions.

You guys are sharp and quick. I'm not supposed to tell anyone!

A few have PM'd me. I have said nothing beyond what is in this thread. The new D6, WS, LV, NAG, SP ATF will be out "soon".

The product I have says ATF on the front label and under that it says universal automatic transmission fluid.

It also says on the front label: GM DEXRON III & VI - FORD MERCON, MERCON V & SP - CHRYSLER ATF+4. Then on the back label it states almost every transmission out there. Under Honda it does state (Not CVT).

Not sure how to read the date code on Amsoil products, but it says 11337 123.

so whats the deal with not being able to sell it in CA? i only use OEM fluids because there are no waranty issues, but i was reading something about not being able to sell it in CA because they cant substantiate the universal claim.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
So, was the other (6.8 cSt) product (the one I have on hand) not working well in DEX III/Mercon, Mercon V, Honda Z-1 applications?

It worked fine, but tough to market. Creating a new product just gets past all the low vs. "high" vis questions.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The product I have says ATF on the front label and under that it says universal automatic transmission fluid.

It also says on the front label: GM DEXRON III & VI - FORD MERCON, MERCON V & SP - CHRYSLER ATF+4. Then on the back label it states almost every transmission out there. Under Honda it does state (Not CVT).

Not sure how to read the date code on Amsoil products, but it says 11337 123.

The newest formula is not on the market yet. What you have is perfectly fine.

Johnny,
The head of Lubrizol Driveline division told us at last year's AMSOIL Convention that their testing showed AMSOIL could be used in any applications except CVT and those calling for Type F.

Might be something new in May, when AMSOIL holds their school session.

This is a good thing. For a backyard schmo like me, getting Schaeffer's is a pain as they market and sell more to the professional market rather than the small retail market that I'm in. I can only get it by the case. Amsoil is much easier for me to get and several local parts stores carry it so I can buy just as much as I need and no more.

The primary reason I went with Schaeffer's over Amsoil for my 2002 Ford Explorer which calls for Mercon V was the visocity issue. I just felt more comfortable going with an ATF that was in the called for viscosity range. Now that Amsoil is, in 30K or so I will be going with the Amsoil rather than the Schaeffer's. If Schaeffer's starts being sold locally or can be gotten in any amount I want, I may stay with it.

Additionally, the presumably lower viscosity Amsoil ATF yet to come out will be a great alternative to Redline D6 and the OEM Dexron VI and Toyota WS.

Rumple

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Creating a new product just gets past all the low vs. "high" vis questions.

I think whenever you get in the habit of buying boutique ATF's you will run into an issue of availability. I use Redline and Amsoil and the only negative to report would be the hassle of mail order. As long as I keep some on hand it isnt really ever an issue and I feel good that I am getting a premium product that is usually not available at any parts store locally.

Schaeffers sounds like a great product, although as you have stated it is geared towards a different market and as such is a major pain to get. I am interested to see how amsoils new lower visc fluid performs. I am very happy with the D6 and believe RL makes some of the best syn atf's available along with Amsoil. I really like it when we as comsumers have more choices in the marketplace. Its a win, win!

If I order Amsoil ATF now, will I be getting the "high viscosity" version from the warehouse? Does anyone know whether or not all of the old stock has been gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back