Amsoil ASM 17,851 miles 1 year 08 Acura TL 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

Hi All,
5th oil change and analyzes for my car. Previous 2 tests were with Amsoil SSO 0W-30. I switched to ASM 0W-20 this time. This is the old formula. Filter was EaO15k13. I used 1 qt. of makeup oil through the year which was more than using SSO (half a quart). But the analyzes looks good though.
2012OilTest1.jpg

Speaking of makeup oil, I may have put half a quart of PP 5w-30 in 3 months ago. I was unsure at first, since I was positive I ran out of ASM until I saw a full bottle of clean ASM thinking I was wrong and used it as makeup oil. But with the slight uptick in Moly, Boron and viscosity, I think it was clean Pennzoil Platinum that someone dumped from the 5 qt jug. into a empty ASM bottle. Aside from that, the car didnt notice the change from SSO
smile.gif
. Still have a 70 mile commute. Still have a lead foot
grin.gif
. Changed it with new formula ASM and new EaO filter.

Link to my previous test

5 gallon sump capacity? 1 gallon make up lube added?
33.gif

I don't understand why they can't use Qts to make the report accurate.

Other then that, looks good to me.

fresh pp used as make up oil shouldnt lower the tbn if there was already a significant amount(of miles) on the ASM

Last edited:
Nice results. I would drop down to 15k miles, just to be safe due to the slight thickening. 20k is certainly doable but I think you're pushing it too far at that point. For this type of drain interval you're using a good oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nice report.
The PP probabily lowered your TBN somewhat.
I'd go 20,000 miles next time.

Any proof that fresh oil of another brand will lower the TBN of another brand?

With 0.3 TBN left, how can you possibly recommend 20k next time? If anything he needs another 17k run to confirm the results before proceeding further.

Originally Posted By: buster
Oil is cheap, engines are not. Play it safe.
smile.gif

Hey Buster good to see you!

I'm thinking the PP boosted the TBN. I'd run 15-16K miles and play it safe.

Another option would be to try their 5w20. A bit less volatile.

Under ideal conditions, 100-200 miles per day, one could probably get 20k miles out of the oil. Otherwise, 15k miles is a safe interval. Going further on any oil is just a bit too risky for my taste.

Like others I would drop back to 15K. I have friends doing 15K OCIs with good results, however I'm a 10K oil changer.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nice report.
The PP probabily lowered your TBN somewhat.
I'd go 20,000 miles next time.

Any proof that fresh oil of another brand will lower the TBN of another brand?

With 0.3 TBN left, how can you possibly recommend 20k next time? If anything he needs another 17k run to confirm the results before proceeding further.

Let me rephrase.
The PP wouldn't have increased the TBN as much as if he had added a qt of ASM.

He's gone 18K on this OCI, I think he could go a further 2K on straight ASM without much risk of the oil becomes clearly unserviceable. The TBN should still be over 2.0.

Lower wear metals (or trending down due to engine break in), 2.29 TBN with lighter oil---did I read that right? I think swithching my wifes car from 30 weight oil to ASM 0W-20 would better suit her crank-n-race 5-7 mile driving patterns in 94 Civic.

Question, the Base number is 2.29 (I learned that's aka TAN). From what I've learned around here looking at other reports anything above 2 is considered alright. From the color coding, 2.29 is Abnormal with this lab. Does this vary by the lab then?

You learned wrong there buddy. The Base number is also known as TBN, not TAN. They are two different things.

Each lab has it's own numbers that they use to declare the oil toast or suitable for continued use.

There are two standardized methods for TBN, It depends on which method a lab uses as to what the condemnation point is. Blackstone is the odd man out on which method is used. A TBN of less than 3 is too low by ASTM D2896, the most commonly used method.

http://pqiamerica.com/TBN.htm

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back