Amsoil, ASM 0W20, 6850 miles, 09 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing very exciting here. A friends car that I maintain and this is its first UOA. It's the 1.8 2ZR-FE motor. It has had a steady diet of ASM 0W20 and Wix filters since factory fill was drained at about 4k miles. The car sees mostly city and secondary roads. The computer reported average speed 29 mph. The "Service" light usually comes on by 4k miles indicating time for oil change. I just reset it and continue running the ASM 0W20 about 6K miles. Oil consumption very slight and no top off oil added. This is an OAI report out of the Indianapolis lab. Current fill is SSO 0W30. I plan to run it 10K miles. Air filter was changed for the first time with this last oil change. The new air filter is a Wix.

Code:

Oil ASM 0W20

Lube time: 6850 miles

Unit Time: 27545

Iron 7

Chromium 0

Aluminum 1

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 12

Sodium 12

Potassium 2

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 2

Antimony 0

Lithium 0

Boron 6

Magnesium 10

Calcium 3251

Phosphorus 611

Zinc 637

Fuel 1.7

Viscosity 100C 8.5

Base Number 4.95

Oxidation 52

Nitration 28

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Isn't that fuel high?

It does seem so but I am not overly surprised. I thought the 8 mile warm up drive before the oil change represented the car's normal short trips and thus would be a good indication of the oil's average state.

Great UOA. Why did you change over to 0w30? This 0w20 helb up excellently and the fuel did not seem to make a lick of difference in the wear of this engine. Keep on keepin on!

Thanks for the post!

Sorta off-topic: How would two quarts of ASM 0w-20 mix with 1 quart of QSUD 5w-40?

I want to use ASM 0w-20 but don't have an app calling for a 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Great UOA. Why did you change over to 0w30? This 0w20 helb up excellently and the fuel did not seem to make a lick of difference in the wear of this engine. Keep on keepin on!

Thanks for the post!

You are welcome. I was not sure how the 0W20 was going to look and had a lot of 0W30 on hand. We'll see how the 0W30 looks and if the computer reports any difference in average MPG. If I had these results before the refill, I might have simply stayed with the 0W20, but I really do not think it is going to make any differance.

The Amsoil is built well for longer drains with it's 12 Tbn and zero to little viscosity modifiers. Doesn't shear.

Great report, Low Zn and P (non-API'ers can relax about their cats), low moly and B too. Interesting formulation (that doesn't show up in UOA) for sure.

Oxidation was beginning to creep up but with the TBN at 4.95 you certainly could have continued. Why are you switching to SSO? I'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back