Amsoil ASM 0W20 30100 mile UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thickening is one of the markers that indicate your pushing your oil to its limits. I believe oxidization and thickening of the oil reduce lubrication properties. I don't think it's just as simple as comparing thick oxidized oil to say a grade higher oil. Obviously this isn't an extreme case since it's still in grade, but it surely means that he is close to maximum return on investment.

The comments from the analyst is:

"Base number is SEVERELY LOW. Viscosity is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Infrared results indicate beginning lube oxidation; Infrared results indicate that NITRATION is at a MINOR LEVEL; Sodium is at a MINOR LEVEL; Sodium sources: coolant (antifreeze), lube additive or supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Abrasives (silicon/dirt) are at a MINOR LEVEL; Boron is slightly low for this lubricant. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged;"

What is Nitration? Minor level is good right? I am not terribly worried about viscosity being high, the OEM oil was 5W30. TBN though was down, indicating to me at least that the oil was done and needed to come out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
... I am not terribly worried about viscosity being high, the OEM oil was 5W30. ...
This is a incorrect, oversimplified thought process. Excessive Thickening by oxidation and nano loading is not OK - it is an indication that the lubricant is at end of service.

So that we can end the debate and since Polaris gives oxidation numbers, what did the report say?

Okay, so the same number on a 4K UOA by Polaris from my old BMW had the oxidation figure in the same units as nine.
You've run your oil more than 4X the miles and have a figure of 66 in the same units.
This may be a little high and the oil did thicken with use.
Your wear numbers still look good.
Maybe a little shorter drains would be wise.
Dave Newton would be proud of you.
Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread?

Waiting now on the UOA for 11048 miles on Castrol Syntech Edge w/Titanium and Purolator Pure One P30001 filter... I'll start a new thread when I see that one come in.

But put back in Amsoil ASM and EAO15 filter (the big "Ford" filter, aka PF8A/FL1A size).

This is the Castrol Edge I used, anything special about it? The bottles are black now I think.

edit

Last edited:
^^^ linky no worky.

That being said, I think the original is a great report considering the usage. I'd back of to 25K, retest, and likely keep it at that until the wheels fall off.

I am hoping today my UOA on the Castrol Edge w/Titanium w/11k and Pure One P30001 filter, will be done, they received it on Sat (closed) and with Monday off, they probably had a lot of catch up to do.

I'll post new thread, but put a link here.

I have Amsoil ASM in it again, with how well it did for 30k, going to the 25k limits should be very good. If I can figure out how to install the Bypass filter I will, I have it all, but how to mount the mount to the car is hard, and there isn't much room anywhere. I think I can between the radiator and engine on the frame rail, I just have to confirm engine movement won't interfere. I really want the extra capacity to go with it.

so even with that amount of calcium tbn still managed to be low!i was expecting tbn to be still high since there was 2900 of calcium!i guess total amount of calcium face dimishing return!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
so even with that amount of calcium tbn still managed to be low!i was expecting tbn to be still high since there was 2900 of calcium!i guess total amount of calcium face dimishing return!

It doesn't work that way at all. Chemistry 101, Acids and Bases.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la

What?

I'm not sure its just the language barrier now that confuses me with your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back