Amsoil ASL5W30 8,500 m. Nissan XTerra 07 V-6 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 Months & only 8,500 miles on oil. Changed oil in August of 08' & ran until July 09'. First ever Amsoil use on this vehicle, first ever UOA. Ran Amsoil flush through engine with 10,700 miles on vehicle and then added Amsoil. Used Amsoil's oil and air filters. Driving conditions were PA mountains and backroads, 1/4 dirt roads, 1/2 two lane paved rough roads, 1/4 Hwy. Lots of hills. Moderate to easy driving style, minor towing. Regular cheap dino oil was used (Napa) prior to Amsoil.
No top off oil was needed during this run. Xterra is a 4X4.

Iron 17
Chromium 0
Nickle 0
Aluminum 6
Copper 14
Lead 5
Tin 4
Cadmium 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0
Silicon 26
Sodium 30
Potassium 1
Titanium 0
Molybdenum 48
Antimony 0
Maganese 0
Lithium 0
Boron 145
Manesium 13
Calcium 3215
Barium 0
Phosphorous 694
Zinc 796

Fuel less than 1 percent
Soot less than .1 percent
Water less than .1 percent

Vis 100C = 10.4 CS
TBN = 3.01

Oxida = 43
Nitra = 29

I bought the UOA kit when I purchase the Amsoil. The UOA was done by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Last edited:
Nice results. I should have a 10k mile run on M1 EP in the same engine probably in a few months. 3qt sump capacity right? I did not use any engine flush prior to change over. Wish I did.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nice results. I should have a 10k mile run on M1 EP in the same engine probably in a few months. 3qt sump capacity right? I did not use any engine flush prior to change over. Wish I did.

No. 5 1/2 qt capacity.

I didn't change the oil or filter yet, SHOULD I? thanks

Oh, then maybe this is a different engine. My sister has a 2002 I think and it only holds 3qts of oil. It's brutal oil oil. V6.

Oh, then maybe this is a different engine. My sister has a 2002 I think and it only holds 3qts of oil. It's brutal oil oil. V6.

Ya, that was the older engine for the Xterra. They changed them in 2005.

Buster, just so I understand this, you've put M1 EP in your sister's rig that only holds 3 quarts, and you're going to have her run the oil for 10k?

Originally Posted By: pickled
Pretty young motor yet....most likely break in wear we are seeing.

Good point!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Buster, just so I understand this, you've put M1 EP in your sister's rig that only holds 3 quarts, and you're going to have her run the oil for 10k?

Yes, that is correct. Might drain it sooner. I didn't have the time to run the Amsoil Engine flush prior to the switch over so I may pull it before 10k.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner

No. 5 1/2 qt capacity.

I didn't change the oil or filter yet, SHOULD I? thanks

I don't like the silicon and sodium numbers ..but it's not showing up in at all the usual suspects for dirt infiltration. It would be some residual from the previous oil and the flush action (who knows). Otherwise, there's no reason to change this out. The numbers aren't bad for 11 months of short(er) trip usage. Visc is good as is TBN.

I'll probably change it within the next month or 1,000 miles or so. First run with the stuff and I bet the next run will be better. I'll do a UOA on the next fill at about 10,000 miles and see (if I can wait that long).

Silicon from gaskets and casting sand most likely with this youngin'. He has an EAA and abrasive wear isn't looking like its happening at the moment.

Quick update. Finally got around to cutting open my oil filter from this run. Sorry No Pics! Upon removing the synthetic filter element material, I ran my finger between the pleats to see what it was filtering out. WOW!!!! In each and every pleat there was a finger FULL of junk! The stuff was similar to a fine sand. Not sure if it was from the new engine or from all the dirt roads I ride on. I didn't find any noticable leaks from my airfilter box or the intake lines anywhere. Any guesses?

First between the flush and the first time running Amsoil I am going to with hold judgment. That is a lot going on to try and pin anything on the oil or OCI etc.....Keep Running Amsoil and avoid flush's and I am almost positive this wear will trend down nicely. I think what we are seeing is the remains of what was in the crankcase from previous oils and not a good representation of this engine or Amsoil.

Over all it looks very good but I think it will get even better and I am not thinking it is a break in issue either this engine does not need a long break in!

I think that if you run Amsoil S3K HD 5W30 Iron and copper could by down to 9 or lower by the second run of S3K and lead cut in half or eliminated all together!I amnot making this up either I am being serious I think you could drop them that much and basicly have all single digits and a 10K oil change interval too boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back