Amsoil ASL5W30 8,500 m. Nissan XTerra 07 V-6 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a TBN of basically 3 remaining how is this oil supposed to last up to 25,000 miles? I have yet to see an oil analysis that confirms Amsoils claim. Even to 15k this is a far cry??

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
With a TBN of basically 3 remaining how is this oil supposed to last up to 25,000 miles? I have yet to see an oil analysis that confirms Amsoils claim. Even to 15k this is a far cry??
Metric TBN!!!

Must be alot of metric TBN in the analysis I have seen then.

I had a dealer last week tell me......" But Amsoil has a Warranty "

I'm not doubting it's a great product, but it has yet to perfom or make it to sever conditions in most test. Even after a year and 8500 miles I'd expect to see better results for the " Highest quality Oil "

Actually I believe you are using selective filtering. Plenty of UOA's over 15K if you look.

TBN of 3 for Blackstone is not low - now for this application would I recommend the first Amsoil extended OCI beyond 15K? No. A lot of clean up going on. Check his oil filter post above!!

Originally Posted By: DieselTech

That should be somewhere around 5.5-6 by other methods. A 4.6 from OA was 7.5 by Analyst.

It doesn't have to go 25k miles. It has to make one year in lieu of 25k ..and unless I'm mistaken ..running from Aug of 08 to July of 09 just about assures that this was entirely possible ..maybe even 15-18 months.

What do you mean by other methods? Are you saying the labs TBN numbers are not accurate?

Last edited:
No. I said what I said
grin2.gif
Different labs use different tests. They're all legit.

ASTM D-4739 and ASTM D 2896

In the past, standard practices for determining optimal drain intervals using fluid analysis have required testing the oil for TBN and TAN. The theory was that when new, an oil’s TBN is high and its TAN is low, and the longer the oil is used, TBN decreases while TAN increases. The point at which they meet is the optimal time to change the oil. It is important to note that ASTM D-4739 should be used when testing the TBN of used (in-service) oils as opposed to ASTM D-2896, which may be used when testing TBN in new oils. ASTM D-4739 uses a weaker acid for titration than does ASTM D-2896 and, therefore, produces slightly lower TBN results.
Historical test data shows the relationship between TBN and TAN to be quite consistent. TAN just begins to increase when TBN depletion reaches 50 percent. As the TBN drops below 50 percent, TAN begins increasing rapidly. So in reality, TBN depletion can reach about 65 percent before it becomes necessary to change the oil.

Consider a CJ-4 engine oil with a starting TBN of 9.0. TAN will hold steady at around 1.75 to 2.0 until TBN depletes to around 5.5, at which point TAN begins to increase. The two will meet at around 3.15 to 3.5. As a result, most laboratories do not require both a TAN and a TBN to make extended drain recommendations.

The following table represents TBN/TAN test results across a fleet of more than 450 pick-up/delivery trucks. TAN remains fairly steady until the TBN depletes from 12 to about 6. The two meet at between 50 and 65 percent depletion of the TBN. The TAN is significantly higher than the TBN after the TBN has reached 65 percent depletion, which indicates that the oil’s ability to neutralize acids has dropped significantly. The oil should be changed to prevent corrosive engine wear from occurring.

we_polaris_clip_image001.gif

http://www.oilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=2170

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back