Amsoil ASL in Toyota 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 600 miles on the ASL I just put in and so far Zero consumption. I've noticed that when I drive much slower, which I have been, my car doesn't consume any oil at all. I've averaged 72mph this time vs 80mph with all previous oils. Can anyone explain the process of why my car burns much more oil at 80mph then at 70mph? You wouldn't think a 10mph difference would be that significant. Certain cars have this same issue where higher speeds increase the rate of oil consumption significantly. Thanks

[ November 27, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

600 whole miles on $7 a quart oil without top up!
worshippy.gif

It's $4.35 at PC cost. I think your missing the point of my post. I'm trying to figure out why my car drinks oil at speeds of 80mph but not 70mph.

E-mail message

From: [email protected] (W.T. MC GLYNN) Date: Thu, Nov 27, 2 Subject: Oil Consumption

I don't know how true this is, somewhere I heard on the smaller hi rev engines the oil wants to stay on the top end at prolonged hi speeds.
Don't know if it's ever been proven. Sounds like it could be true.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It's $4.35 at PC cost. I think your missing the point of my post. I'm trying to figure out why my car drinks oil at speeds of 80mph but not 70mph.

So then why did you mention the oil used if the point of your post was only to ask that particular question?

quote:

So then why did you mention the oil used if the point of your post was only to ask that particular question?

So people who follow this board realize I'm not running Redline anymore. Why do you care?

[ November 27, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think he mentioned the oil used, to give complete information about his problem.........before someone asked. What kind of rpm are you running when it starts to burn oil?

quote:

I think he mentioned the oil used, to give complete information about his problem.........before someone asked.

Exactly, thank you.

Some cars do seem to have a distinct cut-off speed/rpm/load for oil consumption. Seems to be a piston speed thing mostly, and a ring position/geometry thing.

Yeah, the max price of ASL is $5.85, so not sure where the $7 came from.

Buster, it's time for you to get a C5 Corvette 6 speed, where you can go 100mph and it's only turning 2500rpm.
cool.gif

Each time the pistons go up and down the valves open and close a little oil gets used up, some engines use a little some use more. There is a film of oil on the cyl walls and the valve stems and some oil may evaporate. The higher revs add to the oil use as there is more ups and downs per mile. And all engines tend to pump alot of oil to the top end which is the main reason why alot of hotrod engines have big oil pans.

quote:

Buster, it's time for you to get a C5 Corvette 6 speed, where you can go 100mph and it's only turning 2500rpm

I wish I could.
frown.gif

Thanks for the responses. At 80mph I'm hitting 3,050 RPMs and at 70mph I'm at 2,750. I have noticed though that cruising at 80mph my consumption goes up considerably. At any rate, I like the fact that I havn't used ANY oil so far. I think it's the nature of the engine as some of you suggested and the fact that ASL is phenomenal with consumption due to it's low NOAK %
cheers.gif

[ November 27, 2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

What is ASL? What grade is this? Type? How does it differ from the other AMSOIL varieties?

ASL is 5W-30, mostly PAO, full synthetic, motor oil (sorta midgrade compared to the HDD 5W-30 at the top and the XL 5W-30 at the bottom). It's what 3Mad will be using in his study.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Can anyone explain the process of why my car burns much more oil at 80mph then at 70mph?

The faster you drive, the hotter your oil temperature, oil viscosity becomes thinner. e.g.

70mph = 102.5C
80mph = 105C

You should probably move up to a 40wt now.

quote:

You should probably move up to a 40wt now

Thanks, I might consider that at some point, if I still own this car. 5w-40 might be the choice. But right now, oil consumption isn't that bad at all if I drive at reasonable speeds.

Buster that is uncanny! My 4 cylinder Camry must have the exact same final drive ratio as your Carolla. I turn the exact same RPM's at each speed. One thing most people do not consider is that while I am turning 3050 RPM going 80 MPH I still another 3000 RP before I begin to touch redline on tach and the fuel does not shut off until I hit 8200 RPMS.

P.S. HP and Tq. are almost perfectly flat from 1500RPM-6000RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back