Amsoil ASL in Toyota 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
3050 at 80 in a 4cyl camry? Is that a stick shift? My 99 4cyl camry auto, turns about 2650 at 80. I wish the darn thing was geared lower, as it can't even pull a slight incline on the freeway without downshifting.
banghead.gif

SBC, I have a 00' 4cylinder Camry, I noticed that I consume some oil when driving a bit more aggresively. I posted that I sucked up about 1/2qt at 3K with m1. I didnt see much consumption with Amsoil ASL, but I changed the filter and top off oil at 2.5K on a 5K oil change. Using GC right now and driving conservatively again. about 30K on engine

Buster,
This is odd. A month ago you were blaming the Redline for the oil comsumption, now its not the oil, but the speed.
Are you sure your not making all this up?

quote:

Are you sure your not making all this up?

Why would I make this up dipstick?
rolleyes.gif

It's all the speed which is why I brought this post up. Redline though burned off more then other oils though at the same speed, but it's most likely bc it was a new oil that was entirely different then the others being an ester based oil. In 5k miles, I went through almost 2qts. of Redline. It did seem to settle down once the oil was in for a good 2500 miles.

In this car its just at high speed that it burns oil. 80mph not 70mph. Both RL and ASL have excellent NOAK volatility %. I think it's just another case where you have to stick with RL to see it's benefits.

[ November 28, 2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster .

A quick search reveals a history of you engine burning oil . As engines wear over the course of time a combination of things happen . The heat cycles weaken the ring tension , pinging however slight and ever often will increase the clearance between the piston ring lands and the rings allowing for the destabilisation of the ring package . Then since any engine makes engine manifold vacuum " far more at idle than at speed " that operates the pcv valve, when at or near WOT the valve is rendered inoperable to none or very low vacuum .Any or all of the above could be happening in your engine .
With your relatively high mile Toyota I do believe you will continue to burn ANY oil at speed regardless of price given what I have read both here and in a search of your prior posts .

Sometimes nearing the end of an engines life it's best to relegate one back to dino and burn a less expensive oil that will still protect even if the drains cannot be extended as far .

Is your motor in this category ? That's a question only you can answer because you buy the oil .

[ November 28, 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Motorbike, you pretty much nailed it. I don't blame any oil for the consumption problem. It's clearly the engine. Some oils did slightly better then others. The interesting thing though is that it only burns oil at very high speeds. Normal highway driving at 65 to 72mph has had no effect on oil consumption. It's only when I hit speeds of 80mph or 3,050 rpms.
cheers.gif

Hello Buster,

If you checked the TSB's (Tech Service Bulletins)
for this vehicle, you should find 3 or so of the TSB's will pertain to oil consumption.
I have the Prizm version of your car and GM has
3 TSB's about higher speeds causing excessive oil
burning, thought I would let you know.

Bill

Buster;
Your 01 Toyota burned 2 quarts of oil in 5,000 miles? I guess you will be going back to the dealer for a new engine on warranty soon.
How is it I can drive my 77 Chev 250 I-6 3500 miles with SAE 30 oil in it without using a drop?
I've had SAE 10W in it for the last 900 miles without the level moving on the dipstick.
My Windstar van went 8,500 miles on a group III 5W40 and a PAO 0W40 without consumption and it has 120,000 miles on it.
It sounds like you have created a mess and ruined your engine and likely your cat-con using all of those tupperware party oils and additives. Maybe you should try Royal Purple or Torco next. This is all too funny.
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif

Userfriendly,

The Prizm TSB's (Corolla in diff sheet metal)
stated that 1 quart of oil burned in 2000 miles
is normal oil consumption.
Buster has not done anything to cause his engine to burn more oil.
wink.gif

Well if that is the case then it would be extremely important not to use engine oils with redundant levels of additives that may harm the emission control equipment.
One litre per 3,000 KM, or one US qt per 2000 miles would be considered "self changing".
With an engine like that, why not simply change the filter every 12,000 miles or one year (or 20,000 km) and forget complete oil changes for two or three years?
In contrast, a ten year old 454 pulling a horse trailer might burn a quart every 2,000 miles, but a little 3,000 lb car and driver?
rolleyes.gif

What is the average oil consumption of a new one ton truck weighing 7,000 lbs?
According to Buster's own post about 6 weeks ago, the little Toyota did not consume oil until the Tupperware oil, I mean Red Line and Rx went in.

[ November 28, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

userfriendly the only thing funny here are your ridiculouls posts.
wink.gif
As Bill said, it was a TSB about this. At speeds of 80mph the car burns oil. At lower speeds which I am finding out, it doesn't. I've been driving about 70mph and so far I havn't burned a drop. So it's NOT the oil, but the speed.

BTW, thanks Bill for the TSB information. I wasn't aware of that.
cheers.gif

userfriendly ,tupperware party oils?
rolleyes.gif
You bought a Ford, enough said.

[ November 28, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

lol.gif

[ November 28, 2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster;
About a month ago you said that you bought you wife an 02 Focus. That is a Ford??
The 5W30 Amsoil is in her trunk remember???
I guess that after 13,000+ posts, you are forgeting what you have said.

That was her decision, not mine.
wink.gif
And it happens to be one of Ford's better cars. But it's still a Ford. No lipstick for me though.
lol.gif

We can, I'm just having fun. I like userfriendly. I think he is a funny guy.
grin.gif

[ November 28, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I bought the car in December of 2001 with 9 Miles on it!!
shocked.gif
I put 52,000 miles on it in one year. Round trip to work was 128 miles, from Southern NJ to Princeton which is middle state. My wife and I were living apart for two years while she attended school (Cornell in Ithaca) in upstate NY. I'd go and see her every weekend and sometimes every other. This was a 500 mile round trip. It was INSANE. I literaly couldn't take it anymore. She is now home and my work commute is down to 70miles round trip. I'm lovin it.
grin.gif

It was a temporary situation, which is why I bouth a Corolla. I had an 87 and passed it on to my cousin and the car had 300k miles on it when he was through with it. They are tough cars. The car used Pennsoil for the first 18k miles. I then ran Trisynthetic M1 until about 80k or so. It's probably on the forum somewhere when I made the switch. I then got wrapped up in oil analysis and have been switching oils from Amsoil/Mobil 1 and Redline. I was averaging 6-7k mile drains on M1 Trisynthetic the first year. The second year of driving I believe was about 48k miles. I could never drive that much again, ever. I was so stressed out it was unbelievable.

coolvdub has me beat. He drives 250 miles per day!!! Never did I think someone would drive more then I did, other then truck drivers. I did this much driving + a full time job.
shocked.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001006

[ November 28, 2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back