Amsoil ASL 5w30, 9,228 miles, 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Blackstone's report on my wife's Jeep Liberty after 1 year in the car w/ 9,228 miles on the oil. Filter was changed @ 6 months & topped off with 1 pint of fresh ASL. It used no oil during the past year. I used Lube Control when it was changed, and randomly throughout the past year. The car has 27,000 miles total. I've posted one other time w/ a report on this car last December.
code:

2002 Jeep Universal Avg.

Aluminum 5 4

Chromium 3 1

Iron 37 20

Copper 9 6

Lead 3 1

Tin 0 0

Moly 8 46

Nickel 2 1

Manganese 1 2

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 0 2

Boron 22 69

Silicon 8 7

Sodium 8 8

Calcium 1673 2400

Magnesium 588 77

Phosphorus 739 735

Zinc 955 887

Barium 0 1

Sub Vis @ 210

s/b 56-68 actual: 73.9

Flashpoint

s/b >365 actual: 350

Fuel

s/b

Antifreeze negative

Water negative

Insolubles

s/b
Amsoil filter used both times

Blackstone comments:
Steve, We don't know the exact nature of Lube Control, but it may be the cause fo the lower flash point, which is reported in this sample as 0.8% gas contamination. Some additives have slovents in them that cause a low flash point. The oil's viscosity was actually high, reading up in the mid-15w40 range. Wear reading normally, about average for this type engine -- see universal averages -- after bloweing the doors off the oil use interval. This oil ws run 9,228 miles, vs 4,020 miles for other averaged ils sample from this type. TBN was 1.5, getting low.

I am a bit disappointed in this sample, but am open to comments. The car sees nearly 10,000 miles per year, but can go weeks w/ all short trips. Maybe this car should not be a candidate for extended intervals? At this change, I used Amsoil 0w30. Tempted to test again in the spring, and go to twice a year changes.

Comments?

[ October 11, 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Could be better. If it were mine, I'd cut that interval in half. You could also try the S3k oil. Viscosity is typical Amsoil, which thickens. How much LC did you use? Fe is also on the high end, but definitely not a problem. Try Mobil 1 Extended Performance for a comparison.

Seems about what one would expect after this milage. Don't see any real problems. Oil has thicken which is the character of Amsoil. Seems she makes a lot of short trips which gives you the slight fuel and flashpoint. Insolubles are great for the milage. Aluminum and Chrome just a little high probably from the thicking.

I thought jeeps run better on thicker oil.
dunno.gif

LubeOiler - I thought the 4.0's were the Jeep engines that seem to prefer xw40 oils. We also have a 97 Wrangler w/ the 4.0 six, but I've been hesitant to use it due to the cold winters here. I've always used 5w30 or 10w30 Amsoil in the Wrangler.

As for the other question, the Liberty has ran synthetic since about 4,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back