Amsoil ASL 5W30 3600miles/1yr 04 Dodge Ram 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very good to me, those are the kind of numbers I would expect from a premium oil like ASL.

Obviously you're changing the oil on the one year date, but you might think about going longer next time, plenty of goodies left in this sample.

welcome2.gif
to Bitog

Thanks for the welcome. I posted the report up on Dodgetalk.com and a few members seemed to have concern about the silicon number. I run a AFE intake with a AFE dry flow filter and they seemed to think it was coming from there. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, I'm new myself. Anyone have any speculation as to why the copper is at 32 on such a short mileage?

A lot of new engines show high copper for the first few oil analysis reports, it's completely harmless and will drop down as the engine breaks in. I know in the case of the GM LS series of V8s, the copper comes from the cam bearings during break in, and can last as high as 30-40k in some cases before it settles down to single digits in the UOAs.

Although your silicon is not extremely high at 18, I'd still double check all my air filter fitting/seals. AFE is supposed to be a good filter...? And remember that "acceptable" levels are up to 30 ppm.

Also, the last VOA I saw of ASL has it starting with 4 ppm of Si, so you really only had a reading of 14 ppm Si.

IMO, copper by itself doesn't mean impending trouble. If you had high lead or tin as well, then you might be concerned about bearings and bushings. Replacing oil cooler lines often contribute to higher copper readings. Also remember that up to 50 ppm Cu is "acceptable".

I will check the seals on my intake. Other than from the filter itself, where would the silicon be coming from? Since the overall severity level of the analysis was a 0 and they didnt put any comments in about any of the contaminent levels, I was pleased with the results. I have already filled out the info so I can get a kit to send a sample to Blackstone next year at this time and see where it stands then.

Outside of the silicon and Cu ..not much to speak about. The oxidation and nitration are near preferred limits, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me from going longer.

Can you describe how this is operated? Is it idle for longer periods but driven for a decent length when you do?

I usually drive the truck once a week to work and around on the weekends. Sometimes though it may go a whole week and not get started. When It is started I generally let it idle for 3-5 minutes before taking off. I have a 20 mile commute to work that is all highway of 55-70mph. The truck sees very little stop and go. I do some light towing maybe once a month of pulling a 14ft trailer with atv's on it, nothing extreme. No offroading or high dust conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back