Amsoil ASL 5W-30, 8564 miles, '03 Pontiac GP GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glennc
I do think you can conclude from these numbers, trend or no, that this engine is not wearing very well. There must be a cause.

From the numbers, how bad do you think the wear is?

I'm using a EaO filter.

Originally Posted By: Edmond
I do think you can conclude from these numbers, trend or no, that this engine is not wearing very well. There must be a cause.

I'm using a EaO filter.

It's not horrible, but it's enough to eliminate the air filtration factor by going to a well sealed paper filter (or EAA), eliminating all fuel additives, finding and fixing any engine/crankcase vent hose leaks, intake air leaks, etc.

Doug - The first couple it's a bit obscure, but if you really read the last 3 or 4 you can see Techron implicated. I fully realize it's not scientific proof but over 10 years of seeing UOA' spike with Techron, I'm convinced. I wish I could search back further.

Quote:
A nice improvement with GC and eliminating Techron, but the best thing that happened was Terry Dyson picked up on 1.29% fuel dilution and a FP of 320F. B/S said I had Send your next sample to Terry Dyson to see what's wrong with your engine, not your oil.

Wow! I can't believe Blackstone was that far off! I guess you get what you pay for, I believe next time I will use Terry !

Did Terry mention anything about Techron being a problem? I've always used their 93 octane which has an extra dose of it.

I'm not quite sure what is proprietary information, so I'll just let you know that I only use Shell V-Power now (93 octane).

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the Techron saga continuing with higher than average lead readings, or my bearings are actually starting to wear.

Quote:
Techron seems to spike copper OR lead, but not both (or maybe both but i havent seen that yet), but they do go up, significantly if you have high fuel dilution (more than .5)

Hi,
Pablo - IMHO it is pure speculation! You have no substance from which to make such a (previous Post) comment

Techron is NOT noted to have any significant effect on UOAs

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Edmond

I'm using a EaO filter.

Just much higher than normal for well-maintained cars, going by what is normally seen in UOAs posted on this site. Ppm numbers in single digits or very low double digits are common. Your total wear metals are well over 100ppm, and assuming a crankcase capacity of 4-5qt (maybe 4l or 4000cm^3) that is not an inconsequential volume of metallic wear. Looking at it another way you have here the equivalent wear to perhaps five or more oil intervals or 20-80k miles on many engines. Also, the wear metals are probably originating predominantly from certain wear surfaces in the engine, and those surfaces must be experiencing an even higher proportionate degree of wear. Not to mention that some of the wear is probably already caught by the oil filter, meaning again that the total wear is even higher than it appears.

On the other hand, it's possible that your sampling technique, whatever it was, led to an outsized quantity of wear metals ending up in the sample.

The one thing I'd say for certain, beyond that, is that the wear here is enough that if I wanted the car to last I'd be paying lots of attention to it.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back