Amsoil (ASL) 5w-30, 4408 mi, 05 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
(19,298 mi on 2005 Toyota 1GR-FE engine) 4408 miles with Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, Toyota /Denso air filter, Amsoil (ASL) 5w-30, 5.25 oz LC20, 4 oz Schaffers #132. Mostly cold start 7 mile short trip driving. Lucas UCL used at 1 oz per 5 gal gas for all but last 300-500 miles. FP60 used last 300-500 miles at 1 oz per 5 gal gas. Oil changed 6 times previously. Used synthetic oil since first 1100 miles.
UOA done by Oil Analyzers.
Sample date---11/12/2006
Miles on oil---4408
Miles on engine--19,298
Oil------Amsoil (ASL) 5w-30
Oil filter -----------Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Air filter------------Toyota/Denso
Oil additives----5.25 oz LC20, 4 oz Schaffers #132
Fuel additives----Lucas UCL apprx 4,ooo miles then FP60 at 1 oz per 5 gal
Iron------------------6
Chromium----------0
Lead-----------------0
Copper--------------1
Tin-------------------0
Aluminum----------3
Nickel---------------0
Silver----------------0
Silicon--------------19
Boron---------------100
Sodium-------------0
Magnesium--------17
Calcium------------2775
Barium-------------0
Phosphorus--------670
Zinc-----------------844
Molybdenum------110
Titanium-----------0
Vanadium----------0
Potassium----------0
Fuel (% vol)------- Vis @ 40 C--------n/a
Vis @ 100 C-------10.79
Water (% vol)------0
Soot/solids----------n/a
Coolant--------------NO
TBN-----------------3.54
Oxid-----------------11.0
Nitr------------------18.0
Change--------------yes

I assume the higher silicon level is due to having driven approx 4-5 miles in extremely dusty air (like dense fog).

Analysis recommendations: No corrective action required. Oil suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval.

Particle count done by Blackstone Labs:
ISO code (2)------15/12
ISO code (3)------15/15/12
>= 2 micron====631
>= 5 micron====233
>= 10 micron===64
>= 15 micron===25
>= 25 micron===5
>= 50 micron===0
>= 100 micron==0

Previous UOA here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post253449

Currently running with Amsoil (ASL) 5w-30, Amsoil EA oil filter, new Toyota/Denso air filter, and LC20 at recommended dosage.

Not sure the slightly elevated Si hurt anything. I'm also not sure of the concentrations in #132, but I assume that's where a chunk of the Mo came from. But the numbers look sweet, TBN is just a tad low, probably time in crankcase, humididity and short trips.

A good report. 5.25 oz.! Good accuracy and/or precision.

I really can't believe at 4.5 K the tbn has fallen to 3.54, every thing else looks greeeeat. But, 7K is all you can assume to reach before your tbn will be depleted. I would do a UOA about 6K, leave the oil in, and see where your at.If your going to stay with 4 to 7 K OCI, you might want to try the XL line or just get a good SM oil.

I plan to stick with 5k mi or 6 mos to eliminate warranty issues, til warranty expires. For the foreseeable future, I expect to put substantially fewer miles on truck every 6 mos (might be around 1k mi every 6 mos). I plan to save drained oil (presently in use) and re-use in another non-warranty vehicle. I will consider other options for a drain and dump oil. Maybe, Castol GTX or Havoline conventional 5w-30 with LC20 or maintenance dose of Auto-RX? Would like to keep engine as clean & wear free as practically possible.

If you are going to reuse the old oil do not run the used oil straight. You might want touse 50% old oil and 50% new cheap dino oil. This way you know your TBN will still be good.

Quote:

I really can't believe at 4.5 K the tbn has fallen to 3.54, every thing else looks greeeeat. But, 7K is all you can assume to reach before your tbn will be depleted.

I agree WOW, it starts at 12.2...

you think with this oil($$) you could do a whole lot more.

Quote:

I really can't believe at 4.5 K the tbn has fallen to 3.54,

If you stop wasting your money on these ridiculous additives you might find the oil to last a bit longer. You are seriously wasting your money on them especially using an oil like Amsoil and for such a short interval. It may be fun, but honestly, run the oil they way it is and leave it at that.

Quote:

I really can't believe at 4.5 K the tbn has fallen to 3.54

I have to agree, and that is with the use of LC which is supposed to "level the TBN". OAI flagged one of my reports as abnormal/change with a TBN of 2.5. There is not a lot left in this sample.

There have been quite a few recent examples of ASL loosing it's TBN fast. I think I'm done with ASL and am going to give HDD a try.

Quote:

If you are going to reuse the old oil do not run the used oil straight. You might want touse 50% old oil and 50% new cheap dino oil. This way you know your TBN will still be good.

Will keep in mind.

Quote:

If you stop wasting your money on these ridiculous additives you might find the oil to last a bit longer. You are seriously wasting your money on them especially using an oil like Amsoil and for such a short interval. It may be fun, but honestly, run the oil they way it is and leave it at that.

I’d like to try that to compare.

Quote:

I have to agree, and that is with the use of LC which is supposed to "level the TBN". OAI flagged one of my reports as abnormal/change with a TBN of 2.5. There is not a lot left in this sample.

There have been quite a few recent examples of ASL loosing it's TBN fast. I think I'm done with ASL and am going to give HDD a try.

LC20 was used at less than recommended dosage. I’ll have to give Amsoil HDD 5w-30 a try in another non-warranty vehicle used primarily for cold start, short trip driving.

yota, it's cool that you want to compare, but I think it was a mistake by a BITOG member to suggest adding LC to an oil when A)no one knows how it works B)we have ZERO data suggesting they do anything C)all oils today are of high quality and don't need additives. High end oils such as Amsoil etc. especially don't need additives. But if you like to compare, thats fine. I was just giving you my .02.
smile.gif

Hey!< I still have nearly of a gallon of LC to go through so no more negative talk!!
wink.gif

Keep a close eye on the intake tract on this engine(I prefer the previous tacomas Airbox to the airfilter setup in this 1gr.). I think I will change my oil in my taco when I get home.. it seems that time based may be the way to go with this engine. I am barely burning a tank of gas a month.

These TBN readings are low. I don't think the oil is at fault here, something is wrong with OAI's equipment. Their readings are usually much higher.

If you lose the unnecessary additives, the oil will hold up significantly better. Given these oxidation/nitration numbers and the stable viscosity, the TBN should be more like 6-8 for this used oil sample.

I know that OAI is now using an "auto-titrator" to do the TBN test. This is resulting in TBN's that are significantly lower than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back