Amsoil AMO 10-40w,14k miles, 07 Toyota 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil info is about Amsoil AMO 10-40w. Its 8 mths old, w/14,000 miles on it. I didn't dump/change anything when I took this sample because I wanted to see the results first. The vehicle is a 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/99,600 miles on it now. No make-up oil. The vehicle is my daily driver, I'm retired/self employed, we live in the country, so it doesn't see much in the way of stop and go driving. It's still on the original brake pads. I put a set of spark plugs and tires on it at 54k miles. That's it, nothing else.

The oil was last changed Sept. of 2012 and I put this 6 qt load of Amsoil AMO 10-40w, along with a new Fram XG8A full flow oil filter, and a new Amsoil EaBP90 bypass filter on the TopDog V bypass system, and I re-installed a lightly used Amsoil EaA238(discontinued) air filter element that I had used before for 16k miles.

Since I've been running Amsoil in this vehicle 63k miles ago and doing UOA, I've installed 3 different brand air filters in an attempt to lower Silicon levels all without success. At this last oil change(Sept of 12), I found evidence(dust) of an air leak around the air box perimeter seal at the air filter element. So, I installed wx strip to the sealing flange of the air box to improve the seal. It appears to have worked.

The first #s are , Amsoil SSO 5-30w, sample taken 12/10, lube time 17k miles. The second #s are Amsoil SSO 5-30w, sample taken 12/11, lube time 18.7k miles), and the 3rd #s is a 66%/33% mix of Amsoil AMO 10-40w and SSO 5-30w, sample taken 08/12, lube time 12.2k miles.

Code:

WEAR METALS-PPM

Iron 28....14....12....7

Chromium 0......0....0.....0

Copper 1......1....1.....0

Tin 0......1....0.....0

Lead 0......0....0.....0

Chrom 0......0....0.....0

Nickel 0......0....0.....0

Alum 5......6....7.....1

Silver 0......0....0.....0

Cadmium 0......0....0.....0

Vanadium 0......0....0.....1

CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM

Silicon 56.....70....43...32

Sodium 168....45....17...28

Potassium 4......2.....2....4

MULTI SOURCE METALS

Manganese 0......0....0....0

Titan 0......0....0....0

Molybdenum 2......0....0....0

Antim 0......0....0....0

Lithium 0......0....0....0

Boron 6......4....3....1

ADDITIVE METALS-PPM

Magnesium 14......11....16.....10

Calcium 3394..3531..4351...3589

Barium 0......0......0.......0

Phosph 568...497....809....929

Zinc 691...591....989...1130

V100C 10.9...10.8...12.7....14.3

I-R Oxidation 58......64.....61......25

I-R Nitra 39......41.....17.......9

TBN 2.66...2.18...2.48...2.35

Fuel
Soot Vol
Water Vol

Lab: Oil Analyzers Inc - OAI(Polaris)
LAB COMMENTS: Base # is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW. Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL. Replace oil filter and top off system w/fresh make-up oil if not done when sample was taken. Re-sample in 3,500 miles or 65 hrs.

Why did the "OXIDATION" & "NITRATION" #s come down so much?????????????

I do these xOCI and UOA mainly to educate myself and others. There not much ROE doing what I've been doin, but I've found a good combination.

Lately, I've been thinking about trying something different, like switching to Rotella T3 15-40w that I have laying around, or Wally World Syn Tech synthetic 5-30w, that is convienent and cheap.

Give me your opinions please about this latest UOA and your opinion on what I should do in the future.

Thanks,
Don

Weird why you're jumping around from 5w30 to 15w40 like its nothing...

What's the factory recommended viscosity, 0w20
grin2.gif

Your going too long between changes. Change the AF one week PRIOR to changing the oil. Do not disturb the AF during an interval.

Any other oil with 7ppm of Fe and almost all zeros on other metals (Al, 1ppm!) and no oil added this would be an excellent UOA. Amsoil? You went too long!
lol.gif

It's a great analysis. Carry on.

Nothing wrong with the oil. My observation is that the longer runs produced much more WM.

For 14,000 miles, I think it looks great! I've haven't seen too many UOA's with that low of wear metals. In my opinion, stick with same oil and see if you can replicate these numbers again!

Regarding the Fe, 2ppm/1k miles is very acceptable. All the other metals are nearly non-existent and not worth discussing.

As for the TBN, you'd need to know TAN to really ascertain the relative issue here. You cannot fairly condemn a fluid when you only know 1/2 the story.

Anyone notice the Sodium spike? Pablo, was there a shift in the VOA relative to the add-pack recenly? This is not a reason to panic, just a cautionary note to keep an eye on, being a potential precursor to coolant?

I see no reason not to continue the OCIs out further. After all, you're spending top dollar on syns, bypass and UOAs. Go after the ROI! You have set up your system for long-OCI success; use it!

Now that you've (presumably) fixed the Si leak, let's see if you can go further!

As for the fluid brand/grade change, you can certainly do so, but then you'd have to start over in your fact finding. I, for one, would like to see you stick to the Amsoil, and run out the OCIs/UOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Regarding the Fe, 2ppm/1k miles is very acceptable. All the other metals are nearly non-existent and not worth discussing.

The latest UOA is on the right. 7ppm Fe in 14K. 0.5ppm/1K.

Oops! My mistake.

So used to the "conventional" posting method that I read it "backwards".

Puts a new perspective on it, doesn't it!

In that case, I'm going to "double down" and say EXTEND THE OCIs!

Excellent showing for the Amsoil and I'd like to see how far it can go!

Last edited:
I should know that a boring UOA would bring such responses.

Toyota recommends 5-30w. Switching from 5-30w to 10-40w didn't change my avg mpg. I have always gotten 20 to 21 mpg.

Nobody commented on why the NITRATION & OXIDATION #s came down, so I'll take some guesses.
1) In my particular application, AMO is better than SSO???
2) Although Toyota says to run premium unleaded, I have always run regular unleaded. In the past, I purchased my regular unleaded fuel from anywhere and everywhere. For the last 4 mths, I've been buying mostly CHEVRON W/TECRON regular unleaded???
3) reducing Si reduces NITRATION & OXIDATION???

I'm gonna stick w/AMO since nobody has a good reason(s) to switch to another oil. I'll leave this load in for another few thousand miles, then I'll dump it and reload w/AMO and another XG8A filter. I'll leave the current EaBP90 in place for another run or two. I'll leave the current air filter in place for another run too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back