Amsoil AME, 2003 Thai Ford Ranger, 23,760km

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Thailand made 2003 Ford Ranger, crew cab, 4x4, packing a "big block" 4 cyl 2.6L with 23,760km on the ticker. It still has the original oil and filter. They oil looks like crude oil. It has developed an established tapping noise eminating from the valvecover. I was able to locate three 20mmx1.5 oil filters used on john deere gators from another base and plan on putting one on the ranger and dumping some Amsoil AME in there to help out with the tapping and/or future wear. This vehicle is a workhorse from getting water to hauling trash to hauling part for military vehicles on this FOB. It has no history of maintenance and is quickly starting to show. BTW it is over 110F ambient everyday during summer with dust storms every three days. The military does not stock parts for this vehicle so it's at the mercy of the operators to maintain it. I can order 5w30 conventional oil from another base but it will take a month or two to get out here. Let me know if the AME will do more harm than good or should I hold out until I can get the 5w30 re-recyled oil(Safety-Kleen). I can also stab in some 15w40 re-recycled that I have on hand right now for our other vehicles. Thanks.

I would change to 15w40 now and run it until you'll get the 5w30 to clean out the sludge in the engine. It may need several short OCI's about 1k miles to clean the engine.

I think anything you do is a step in the right direction for that poor engine. Order the best 5w30 you can get and a good oil filter and run a short OCI for the next run say 2K miles (1250 KM) and change it out again as this will help flush some of the crud out of the engine.

It's funny that the engine made it that long on FF with a Factory Filter in those temperatures.

Guess the 2.6 is a darn good engine to put up with that abuse, or we are changing our oil in North America far too often!
wink.gif

Order air filters. I'd say to see if there's an AAF part for it, so you could just service it every week, but that may be a bit beyond what you're looking to spend.

Thanks for the input and help. Our logistics officer notified me that 5w30 and 10w30 is going to be 2+ months and there is no guarantee that it will ever arrive as we do not have any equipment "on the books" requiring it. So we are going to run a 1000km oci on re-recycled 15w40. Then use the stash (12qts) of Amsoil AME in it, just in case our replacements decide to neglect it as we did unintentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back