Amsoil AME 15w-40 very sooty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in my silverado duramax yesterday and this is what came out. Oil is Amsoil AME 15w-40 with amsoil filter. Was in service for about 21k miles. It's hard to describe what it looks and feels like but I can tell it has a ton of soot in it. It is ultra black and impossible to see through, which I know is normal for diesel oil. It stains your hands really bad, and anything else it gets on. Look at the side of the bucket and funnel. It just doesn't go away. It doesn't drain back down into the bucket from the sides like normal oil would. In your hands, you can tell it's kind of sooty feeling if that makes sense. Also, It didn't burn a drop in 20k miles, which is amazing. This is the only oci that it didn't burn at least 2qts in this time period, which is odd.

The problem I have with this is I've never seen it come out looking like this before. The truck has ~110k miles on it and I've ran amsoil in it since about 20k miles. Each time, it was in service for ~20k miles. Amsoil states 3x OEM or 1 year is fine without analysis so that's what I've been doing. I'm not going to keep the truck forever but I don't want to neglect it either. I've had the truck since new and ran rotella in it before amsoil for ~5k miles ea.

I put back in the same oil and filter, but I might only run it for 15k miles this time.

EDIT: Sump is 10qts

pics:
IMG_20130224_105018_413_zps76dd3569.jpg

IMG_20130224_105014_624_zps0b52575a.jpg

Ignore the sediment, the bucket was not clean.

IMG_20130224_105517_417_zps612318ec.jpg

In comparison, the oil from my '04 gmc, 5w-30 nextgen in service for ~6k miles

IMG_20130224_105509_078_zps111156b7.jpg

Last edited:
What you are seeing is the reality of what is going on inside your engine. Since you didn't consume any oil you now have a look at all of the contaminants in one fill. I would be looking at my injectors. How is your fuel economy?

Any idea what your door loading rate is? Without knowing it you have no basis to extend.

My MB cars look dark black as soon as I put the fresh oil in. Soot is a good pigment - doesnt take much to make oil majorly black.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Any idea what your door loading rate is? Without knowing it you have no basis to extend.

My MB cars look dark black as soon as I put the fresh oil in. Soot is a good pigment - doesnt take much to make oil majorly black.

Sorry, what is a door loading rate?

Originally Posted By: Doog
What you are seeing is the reality of what is going on inside your engine. Since you didn't consume any oil you now have a look at all of the contaminants in one fill. I would be looking at my injectors. How is your fuel economy?

Fuel economy is good as ever, and injector balance rates are normal. I really hope they are fine. They are not known to be as bad in the lly's

I would run an oil sample to ACTUALLY show the results. Only way to be sure if what you are doing is right or not. Get a kit from Amsoil and check the next run of oil at, say, 15,000 and see how it is doing. I run a semi and a Jeep liberty diesel. the truck gets oil samples run every 15,000 miles. Besides just seeing how oil is doing, a sample can show if something is going wrong. i.e. you have a coolant leak or excessive bearing wear or fuel dilution, etc. Very cheap insurance to do them on a regular basis and watch for patterns.

Ditto; get a UOA. Or quit worrying. Or don't.

This may be curt, but what'd you expect after 21k miles of diesel use? It looks totally normal to me.

As the OCI gets longer and the sump gets larger the % cost of a UOA compare to entire oil change goes down.

Sure you can extend out the OCI with the Amsoil AME without a UOA assuming nothing else is going wrong.

I am going to extend the OCI in my Cummins using T6, but I will do at least one UOA halfway through.

Your engine is a 05, so should not be too much pollution stuff (if any).

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I would run an oil sample to ACTUALLY show the results. Only way to be sure if what you are doing is right or not. Get a kit from Amsoil and check the next run of oil at, say, 15,000 and see how it is doing. I run a semi and a Jeep liberty diesel. the truck gets oil samples run every 15,000 miles. Besides just seeing how oil is doing, a sample can show if something is going wrong. i.e. you have a coolant leak or excessive bearing wear or fuel dilution, etc. Very cheap insurance to do them on a regular basis and watch for patterns.

AGREE...and think about a bypass filter install!

Ok guys thanks for the advice. I would like to do an analysis but the old oil is gone/contaminated now.

How many miles into this oci should I get a sample?

I'm not looking to push it any further, unless the uoa says otherwise.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Ok guys thanks for the advice. I would like to do an analysis but the old oil is gone/contaminated now.

I suggest to sample at owners manual recommended interval and go from there. You need to establish a baseline for your truck and proceed from there.

I would start at 10k. Build a trend. Adjust as you like once you start getting the results back.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Sorry, what is a door loading rate?

LOL, that's a spell checker's replacement for what it thinks I should say.

I meant soot loading rate, i.e. %/1000mi.

You could make a case for, if the oil comes out so dirty, the inside of the engine is probably cleaner than if the oil came out clean after 21k miles. To me it shows the oil is doing its job very well. If you want cleaner oil , longer OCIs, and a clean engine consider Amsoils bypass filtration system. Like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: oilgeezer
... If you want cleaner oil , longer OCIs, and a clean engine consider Amsoils bypass filtration system. Like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Actually, it can hurt your wallet, if you don't control the costs relative to the inputs.

Bypass filtration is a tool to extend your OCIs. The payback (or lack thereof) depends on how well one manages the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back